Best Inexpensive (Cheap) Golf Attire?

Although it is great to find a deal here and there (thanks, DawgDaddy!!), it is difficult to find consistent deals on the major brands (Nike, Puma, Footjoy, etc.) Some of this relates to the quality of the gear, some of this is simply brand recognition. There is inexpensive golf gear, however. Most of it is poor quality and cheap for a reason. Other brands, however, make great stuff that flies under the radar.

For example, I think IZOD makes great golf pants and would recommend them to anyone. (The shirts, however, don't seem as high quality.) Others rave about the Champion C9 gear but I don't have any experience with it.

Have you discovered any quality gear, or brands - whether shirts, pants, outerwear, shoes, etc. - that are inexpensive compared to the big boys but nearly as good?
I LOVE all the Izod stuff. I get it from their outlet store. I get great stuff at ridiculously cheap prices.... Especially with their coupons and reward dollars. The stuff is comfortable and well made.

I LOVE all the Izod stuff. I get it from their outlet store. I get great stuff at ridiculously cheap prices.... Especially with their coupons and reward dollars. The stuff is comfortable and well made.

you got a link for that?

I'll second izod. I have a bunch of the shorts and pants and don't have any complaints.

Their shirts are hit and miss though. I have a couple that I like but I've had some in the past that were poor quality.

Yeah, we have an outlet mall near us with the Izod store and you can find some incredible deals there.

Base layer: Target's C9 by Champion is quite comfortable. Feels, fits, and functions like Under Armour gear...from about 5 years ago. Still, for $15-$20, really not bad.
Polos: Ben Hogan gear from Wal-Mart stays impressive. The only complaint is the collars tend to roll up a bit after repeated washings. The fabrics feel nice, plenty of color options, and they breathe quite well. Also, the local Marshall's or Ross or whatever else, frequently carries Izod, Greg Norman's line, and other brands in that sub-$20 range. And given how common performance fabrics are becoming, expanding beyond "golf" specific brands can bring even more selection into play.
Shorts: Ben Hogan brand, again, not too shabby. A bit noisy, but they breathe well enough, hold up just fine, and have suitable pockets.
Trousers: I'm going to be perfectly honest and say that trousers have always come down to finding the right deal for a price you can afford. Between sizes often being funky and the fact that there isn't anyone making good quality for cheap, you either have to bite the bullet and pay more, or hunt around for deals. It helps to have an in-house tailor, so I don't have to worry so much about getting, say, 32x32's when I normally wear 32x30. I think I've found most of my trousers on Amazon.

Sweaters/top layers: Again, haven't been impressed with any major store brand. Hunt around for deals. My location means I haven't really had to shop for wet weather gear, nor highly functional cold weather stuff. My wife found a lightweight sweater on Amazon for me, and I bought a Callaway fleece for $30 on their site.

I splurge on socks & undies, being discomfort pertaining to either of those locations is not worth saving money, IMO. Under Armour Heat Gear long socks have kept me blister-free through lots of ruck marches, so I trust them when I'm wearing trousers, and C9 by Champion golf socks from Target have actually proven incredibly comfortable.

This is by no means a comprehensive list, but in the past 18 months I've bought a lot of golf gear, and finding deals is the only way I've gotten away with it.

Back