Weight Forward in your Downswing

coers

@andrewcoers
Reaction score
Groveland,IL Central Illinois/Just south of Peoria
Handicap
Hawk informed me today that im not getting my weight forward on my swings. Mostly on my drives as he noticed. He showed me some tips and I just was wondering what you guys think about this and maybe some reference of videos on what to do.

Like I said, the step drill is a good one to learn sequencing and the feeling of shifting your weight. You can also toss a 5lb medicine ball to somebody. Stand in your address position and toss it like you were swinging a club.

Really though, self help and diagnosing is going to get you nowhere fast dude. Go get some lessons and you'll be so much better off in the long run.

Thanks man, and Im going to have to make it up to the clubhouse and see that guy. And I took 9 lessons this year which I think helped me to get where I am today. I think Ill probably wait till next early spring or when it gets nice out next year. I know lessons are great and there worth the money, but I don't want to go get lessons now and then in a month or so its to cold out and the course is closed.
Like I said, the step drill is a good one to learn sequencing and the feeling of shifting your weight. You can also toss a 5lb medicine ball to somebody. Stand in your address position and toss it like you were swinging a club.

Really though, self help and diagnosing is going to get you nowhere fast dude. Go get some lessons and you'll be so much better off in the long run.

Weight forward can be a bit of a misnomer though. Shifting your weight is a product of a good turn and getting through the impact zone effectively. You have to be careful not to get into a sliding thing, lateral movement brings in another host of issues. But as you said Hawk seek professional help

Weight forward can be a bit of a misnomer though. Shifting your weight is a product of a good turn and getting through the impact zone effectively. You have to be careful not to get into a sliding thing, lateral movement brings in another host of issues. But as you said Hawk seek professional help

But it should be noted that just spinning can cause just as many issues.

Thanks man, and Im going to have to make it up to the clubhouse and see that guy. And I took 9 lessons this year which I think helped me to get where I am today. I think Ill probably wait till next early spring or when it gets nice out next year. I know lessons are great and there worth the money, but I don't want to go get lessons now and then in a month or so its to cold out and the course is closed.

Kellog has an outdoor heated range dude! Never a better time to get lessons and practice your butt off than the off-season imo.

Yea it does and that's sort of why I said sequencing rather than just weight forward.

Good information in this link, with videos, about weight transfer in the golf swing from one of my favorite instructors on the Internet: http://www.andrewricegolf.com/tag/weight-at-impact/

The interesting part: most professionals have the majority of their weight on their front foot at the time of impact, like at least 80% or so.

Ok hawk no more excuses from me. I will do that, and that's where I took group lessons at. I will work on those drills and next time we play I'll be better.
Kellog has an outdoor heated range dude! Never a better time to get lessons and practice your butt off than the off-season imo.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yea it does and that's sort of why I said sequencing rather than just weight forward.

Alignment rod at the outside of your left hip. If you're slamming into it, you're sliding. If you never touch it, you're never getting back to your left pivot point. You should end with your hip on the rod, but not slamming into it and sending it flying

Alignment rod through the belt loops. If you find yourself in a lot of pain, you're getting those hips fired way too fast/out of sync with the upper body.

Ok hawk no more excuses from me. I will do that, and that's where I took group lessons at. I will work on those drills and next time we play I'll be better.

Oh, I don't even care about that dude! I just know you were wanting to get some more yards and I think you could do it pretty easily with a little help.

Oh, I don't even care about that dude! I just know you were wanting to get some more yards and I think you could do it pretty easily with a little help.

Thanks hawk, a little help can go along way.

Here it is (below). Pure and simple. Imagine aggressively driving a nail into a wall with the butt of the club. You must get to your left side. It's not a finesse move, it's a power/speed move. Even if you slide ahead of the ball initially, that's a better fault than hanging back. At least if you get ahead of the ball slightly, you still have a chance of squaring up the club with your hands and hitting a push draw. Hanging back guarantees it's going to start left all day long. It has to. Here's the danger though. If the apex of your arc (as viewed from above) is outside the ball prior to impact, and you move that arc toward the target... well... Mr. Ball meet Mr. Hosel.

Anyway, Mr. Hogan explains it perfectly. Now doing it, that's the hard part. I've been working on it for 30 years. :)

hmm interesting, thanks for that brad. Hey if your free thursday night Im good for golf that night
Here it is (below). Pure and simple. Imagine aggressively driving a nail into a wall with the butt of the club. You must get to your left side. It's not a finesse move, it's a power/speed move. Even if you slide ahead of the ball initially, that's a better fault than hanging back. At least if you get ahead of the ball slightly, you still have a chance of squaring up the club with your hands and hitting a push draw. Hanging back guarantees it's going to start left all day long. It has to. Here's the danger though. If the apex of your arc (as viewed from above) is outside the ball prior to impact, and you move that arc toward the target... well... Mr. Ball meet Mr. Hosel.

Anyway, Mr. Hogan explains it perfectly. Now doing it, that's the hard part. I've been working on it for 30 years. :)

Might be up for that. Got a buddy who was talking about playing one night this week. I'll let you know.

Golftec coach taught me to practice throwing a baseball underarm sidearm.

sounds good man, ill be looking forward to getting back out there with you.
Might be up for that. Got a buddy who was talking about playing one night this week. I'll let you know.

Bumping this thread as im have a slight problem with this. Any update from op? Or drills from anyone?

totally agree...

Great video. Thanks for posting.

Thanks OS. Going to give that a try tonight.

I have improved this issue with me and one of the first resources was from Hawk and he gave me this youtube video.
Bumping this thread as im have a slight problem with this. Any update from op? Or drills from anyone?

That's very informative. Have to see what drill I do better.
Thanks for the info from all

check this out it helps me with weightshift

http://youtu.be/0CSHqnYNijw

I have to say this video made a ton of sense. I practiced this is my hotel room last night and it seems to work. The key would be to make sure you complete the backswing before you sit into the the left but check.

Back