New Shiels video series that uses a 13 handicapper to test drivers

Daddio

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
First off, I apologize if this is posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it. I'm kind of excited about this series because the guy doing the testing is much more similar to me than is someone like Shiels or other video reviewers I've watch. This new guy (series launched yesterday) has basically the same handicap as mine, swings drivers at 90 mph, has a very similar +AoA, swings R flex like me, and his R to L ball flights look VERY similar too.

I found 3 videos so far, and they all appear to be shot at the same time. In the first, the 13 capper hits both the 10.5* X2Hot he was fitted to and a 16* SLDRs that Rick gave him a few months ago which he has been gaming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqVHqrNO8A

The next has him hit a 10.5* TM R15 lofted up to max 12.5* and compares those results to SLDRs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbSVV7pvMA

In the final vid he hits a 10.5* Titlest 915D2 lofted to max and compares those results https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ympccwv2zM

Supposedly the testing will be continuing as Rick mentioned the 13 capper would be hitting the new Mizzuno and an Aeroburner soon.

I'll be following. Nice to see "regular" guy numbers and changes to those numbers.

Testing by average golfers, what a concept...

Really enjoyed all of these videos!

Enjoyed all 3 videos, I know I want to get on a monitor in January and try the R-15, 915 D2, BB V and the FLY-Z+. I don't really need a new driver but this video made me think that maybe I do need a new driver.

I like the series, but take it for what it is. It's one mans golf swing and his results just like most reviews out there.

Great to see a test I can actually relate to. NO 110-115 Mph swings speeds. The ball doesn't react the same way for my low 90's swing speed as compared to Shiels normal videos. Outstanding concept! It is about time!!!

Wonder if it will catch on? :alien:
It's been happening for a while now. Isn't that what happens here on THP? Average golfers reviewing clubs?

It's been happening for a while now. Isn't that what happens here on THP? Average golfers reviewing clubs?

Yes, I think some missed the sarcasm.

Haha Ouzo, the green Alien face has become known as the "Tonue in Cheek/Sarcastic Alien". Makes understanding sarcasm through the interwebs a bit easier.

Rob and G30 is next then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a bold concept. Now to just find a place where we can get a variety of average golfers with different skills sets using the equipment in situations other than a range and launch monitor....:alien:

Ah ok. Thanks for the 411. Now I know.

But I see no Alien. Just a black X.

Agreed. It's an interesting element that Rick is adding to his reviews and I like it, but you have to keep in perspective that it's just one guy.

One other thing I noticed is that the Callaway Alpha 815 was missing from his docket of drivers. Given that he personally tested this one I'd think that he would want this mid-capper to try it out too. Kind of disappointing if he doesn't.

Maybe it is upcoming in the series.

im kind of partial to the more famous reviewers Jman, Hawk and Canadan as well as review threads on an awesome site known as THP...anyone heard of these guys?

I like Shiels. He's a cheery guy and puts together some nice videos. Wish I could borrow his swing :/

Good for him trying to improve his product. It's a method we believe in very much.

I will run the video camera for the JMan video club testing series :D

Testing by average golfers, what a concept...

It's a nice concept. One of the great thing about this site is the abundance of regular guys who test equipment.

Agreed. It's an interesting element that Rick is adding to his reviews and I like it, but you have to keep in perspective that it's just one guy.

One other thing I noticed is that the Callaway Alpha 815 was missing from his docket of drivers. Given that he personally tested this one I'd think that he would want this mid-capper to try it out too. Kind of disappointing if he doesn't.

I know 10 regular guys that will be able to provide feedback on the 2015 Callaway line up in just a few days. You can even interact with them when they are testing out the gear too.

I watched the R15 video, it was rather interesting, set the weights on each end and gained 6 yards of carry compared to SLDR.

Very interesting - thanks for posting the links

Love to see some Avg Joe testing on some of these new(unreleased) clubs give you an idea if they are even worth looking at

I like Rick Sheils as well and watch pretty much all of his reviews. But bottom line is I still value the information that THP provides more when it comes to making a decision to spend money. This site has certainly cost me plenty of money that's for sure!! I am willing to bet that's the case for many of us club ho's on here!!! You just cant beat honest feedback from the testers on this web site. Not that I don't appreciate Rick testing with an ave Joe because I do like it as well.

I like the series, but take it for what it is. It's one mans golf swing and his results just like most reviews out there.

This.

It's great to see, offers another opinion, which is never a bad thing, but at the same time everyone has different numbers in the end and proves the importance of fitting.

Back