Different Putting Grip

Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
Wasn't sure if this belonged in swing tips or flat stick talk, but I've got a question regarding a putting grip that I sort of stumbled on tonight while practicing in my basement.

Essentially, it's the putting grip Natalie Gulbis used a few years ago (Hammy style) where the left hand is placed like a normal grip, but the right hand is placed at the bottom of the grip with a few inches of separation. I've included a video to illustrate what I'm talking about. One of my struggles I have when using a regular grip is that even with a SS 2.0 I can still let my wrists get involved a little leading to more variables in my putting stroke. When I tried this out just for S's and G's, I found that my wrists weren't involved at all, and at least during my small sampling, I was seeing better control. I know this isn't SPI or anything resembling a "traditional" grip, but what would be some of the drawbacks to be aware of from this type of grip? I'm far from switching to it, but wanted to get some feedback from smarter people than me to see if this is anything I should even experiment with. Thanks.

I say go with whatever works for you. If you see yourself hitting the target more, that's all you need. For taking wrists out, have you tried putting crosshanded?

For what it's worth, I found myself putting this way a bit with the long grip on the Tank, without really thinking about it.

I tried cross hand and it felt weirder than crap for me and I lost any sense of touch. I'm sure with time I could get used to it, but initial impressions were no good.

Different Putting Grip

I tried cross hand and it felt weirder than crap for me and I lost any sense of touch. I'm sure with time I could get used to it, but initial impressions were no good.

I had the same problem. For short putts I was OK, but ing putts I felt like I had no control. I'm trying to remember who it was, but one of the LPGA players I was watching was switching to a crosshanded putt for short putts only.

I found this Golf Magazine blurb on the split grip, so it's definitely something some people suggest.

http://www.golf.com/instruction/try-split-grip-better-accuracy

I had the same problem. For short putts I was OK, but ing putts I felt like I had no control. I'm trying to remember who it was, but one of the LPGA players I was watching was switching to a crosshanded putt for short putts only.

I found this Golf Magazine blurb on the split grip, so it's definitely something some people suggest.

http://www.golf.com/instruction/try-split-grip-better-accuracy

That makes some more sense. I kind of think this feels so natural because it takes me back to my hockey days. I might have to play around with this a little more, sounds like it's not quite as off the wall as I was thinking, even if it will get me some stares on the course.

Just be careful you aren't forcibly manipulating the face.

Just be careful you aren't forcibly manipulating the face.
This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I know it isn't a standard grip, and knowing what some of the potential issues are helps judge whether it could have long term potential. Thanks James.

Back