Found a club what to do?

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
So on Sunday I found a Mizuno JPX-EZ 4i on the tee box. It was dark when I finished and forgot to take it to the pro shop. So I called up there today and told them what I found and the guy said no one had reported it missing. I gave the guy my name and number and told him to give it to whomever called for their club. I could take it back up there but I had a friend who lost a club and when he realized 2 weeks later that he had lost it the course had sold it. What do you guys think I should do?

I would normally leave it at the course, but since you gave them the info on the club and your phone number, that should be fine.

They sold it? Wow, nice course...

I've been in the same boat. I turned it in and told them I would call back after two weeks. If nobody had claimed it, that I would be back for it. It was actually a wedge and it was exactly the wedge that my son had been drooling over. Nobody ever claimed it, so as promised, I went back and asked if they still had it. They did, so I ended up with it. Or more accurately, my son ended up with it.

I know there may be a sense of justice for you to keep it since your friend got his club sold out from under him, but that has nothing to do with you or the person who left their club behind. When faced with an ethical dilemma, just ask yourself this. If you were the person who left your club behind, how would you want the person who found it to behave. Then just do THAT.

I would stick with what you've already done, as far as leaving your info and keeping the club in your possession.

As for a course that sells something out of lost and found after 2 weeks, I would find a new place to tee it up!

I've been in the same boat. I turned it in and told them I would call back after two weeks. If nobody had claimed it, that I would be back for it. It was actually a wedge and it was exactly the wedge that my son had been drooling over. Nobody ever claimed it, so as promised, I went back and asked if they still had it. They did, so I ended up with it. Or more accurately, my son ended up with it.

I know there may be a sense of justice for you to keep it since your friend got his club sold out from under him, but that has nothing to do with you or the person who left their club behind. When faced with an ethical dilemma, just ask yourself this. If you were the person who left your club behind, how would you want the person who found it to behave. Then just do THAT.

The thing is, two weeks is not long enough a lot of the time. Some guys will golf once a month and not realize their club is missing until they play again. We've had people pick up their club several months later.

Yeah Im putting it in the closet and hope someone will call.

I would take it back to the club. Not everyone in the pro shop will know to call you, but they will know to go look in the lost club pile.

I think you did right. It might take awhile before someone realizes it's missing

If it's not a long haul back to the course, I'd consider returning the club. Never know if the owner will call the shop and have some kid answer who doesn't know that it was reported found.

I had a weird circumstance a couple months ago where the club called me and said they found a handheld GPS in our cart. First they called my friend who booked the tee time but it wasn't his and he told them to call me. But it wasn't mine and it wasn't my friend's who was in the cart with me. I guess it's conceivable we could have played 18 holes without noticing it, if it was black and in those dark crannies of the cart. If the course thought it was ours, I guess I could have driven back and scored a free GPS. Though I fear the golf Gods would have smote me at some point so I passed.

Wow I've never stumbled upon a club at the tee box but I've found plenty of sand wedges and pitching wedges around greens. I'd get it back to the course.

To go in a totally different direction, why not try call Mizuno and see if they know the owner? Most sets of Mizuno are custom ordered and each club has a serial number from memory so that should you lose/break a club they already have your details etc. Give them that serial number and they should be able to track down the owner. It's a long shot but well worth a try.

To go in a totally different direction, why not try call Mizuno and see if they know the owner? Most sets of Mizuno are custom ordered and each club has a serial number from memory so that should you lose/break a club they already have your details etc. Give them that serial number and they should be able to track down the owner. It's a long shot but well worth a try.

This. If there is a serial #, of course. If not, I'd probably bring it back to the course. It's still the honest thing to do and you don't have control of what the course will do either way. Maybe they will do the right thing and NOT sell it.

Good thinking there. If I ever lost a club and someone returned it to me through a serial number, I'd reward him/her with a sleeve of balls or something!

Wow never thought of that. I will do it right now

If it's not a long haul back to the course, I'd consider returning the club. Never know if the owner will call the shop and have some kid answer who doesn't know that it was reported found.

I had a weird circumstance a couple months ago where the club called me and said they found a handheld GPS in our cart. First they called my friend who booked the tee time but it wasn't his and he told them to call me. But it wasn't mine and it wasn't my friend's who was in the cart with me. I guess it's conceivable we could have played 18 holes without noticing it, if it was black and in those dark crannies of the cart. If the course thought it was ours, I guess I could have driven back and scored a free GPS. Though I fear the golf Gods would have smote me at some point so I passed.

Yes, if it is at all possible, I would return the club to the course where you found it. That way, any employee can turn around to see if it's there if/when the owner comes looking.

I would stick with what you've already done, as far as leaving your info and keeping the club in your possession.

As for a course that sells something out of lost and found after 2 weeks, I would find a new place to tee it up!

I agree....on both counts.......

This thread caused me to wonder - how many people have put some type of identification on their clubs? If so, what do you use?

I just got a new set and made me think that maybe I should get them "marked". They are custom fit Mizuno's but I don't think the serial # is on all the clubs, only certain ones. This might make sense as a separate thread but I'll post the thought here.

As a forgetful guy that has left his clubs in the course a few times, that's disappointing to hear they'd sell it after two weeks.

But, I'd also call the course again, and speak to someone else.
A lot of times if you can simply soak with the wrong person, who either doesn't know, or care.

You could also put a little note on their bulletin board.

That's great that you're so helpful in returning the club to its owner.

Back