Brand loyalty adverse effects?

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
I came across a thread discussing how deep brand loyalty runs and it got me thinking. I know there are some people out there that are strictly brand X gamers and would never even consider any other brand. I wonder how many people are "sabotaging" their own games because of blind brand loyalty?

IMO it's not an issue as almost all the companies offer so many options that they'll have something that works for all their homers.

I play with a couple guys that are brand loyal that I believe could benefit from another OEMs product.

I'd agree it doesn't make a difference. All the major manufacturers have solid offerings and any of us could play well with clubs from any of them. Our preferences are mental.

I'd agree it doesn't make a difference. All the major manufacturers have solid offerings and any of us could play well with clubs from any of them. Our preferences are mental.

I disagree actually. I don't know what it is, but I don't usually care for Taylormade and try not to use them, but after a couple different testing sessions, I stuck with their hybrids because they are what I hit the straightest and get the distances I wanted. If I would have really stuck to my anti-taylormade mind-set, I would be hurting myself by not using the clubs I found to be the best for me. My brand loyalty, or rather brand anti-loyalty, could have cost me decent performance gains.

I don't think it would matter all that much. I believe if you preferred Brand X, provided you saw a good fitter and got fitted for the shafts and model from that company that was best for you, you wouldn't be costing yourself much on the course.

I agree 100 percent. Example you and I love Callaway, irons there is everything from MB to Big Bertha, between that mix there is something for everyone :)

I don't think it would matter all that much. I believe if you preferred Brand X, provided you saw a good fitter and got fitted for the shafts and model from that company that was best for you, you wouldn't be costing yourself much on the course.

I disagree actually. I don't know what it is, but I don't usually care for Taylormade and try not to use them, but after a couple different testing sessions, I stuck with their hybrids because they are what I hit the straightest and get the distances I wanted. If I would have really stuck to my anti-taylormade mind-set, I would be hurting myself by not using the clubs I found to be the best for me. My brand loyalty, or rather brand anti-loyalty, could have cost me decent performance gains.

Tend to agree with you. I'm a Callaway homer but despite good days with their hybrids, I seem to have more bad days. The flip is that I can never seem to agree with TM clubs except for their hybrids. At the moment I see a hybrid change coming once the new TM stuff is released (though I could see a testing of the Callaway 815 hybrid - loyalty and all that!)

Basically took the words out of my mouth.

All the OEM's are offering such great products, if something feels and looks good to you, you're not going to see a lot of difference if properly fit.

I agree with most in here, great options from all manufacturers. But I think if you keep your mind totally open to manufacturers you invariably give yourself more of a chance for success.

I'm sure there is some truth to this, to a degree. However, in most cases my guess is we would be talking about an overall improvement of a few yards from one OEM to the next, with newer equipment. It's not like if you have the 2015 Brand X driver that it's going to be 10 - 20 yards shorter than Brand Y OEM driver. Most of the companies equipment is similar (usually) with the top companies.

Personally I think almost every brand performs as long as it's a proper fit for the golfer. Also most brands offer something for everyone.

So having loyalty to one shouldn't be adverse. Potentially the opposite with the feeling or pride (for lack of better terms) they get from using that equipment brand over another.

I actually think it could - assuming we are talking about playing current equipment and not something 3-4 years old. If I had to play TM drivers I'd be in a tough spot. Not a big fan of ultra low spin or low MOI.

Yes things are more alike then they are different in a general sense, but some companies certainly have a more diverse product line.

I'm sure there is some truth to this, to a degree. However, in most cases my guess is we would be talking about an overall improvement of a few yards from one OEM to the next, with newer equipment. It's not like if you have the 2015 Brand X driver that it's going to be 10 - 20 yards shorter than Brand Y OEM driver. Most of the companies equipment is similar (usually) with the top companies.

In a controlled environment with a robot testing I would agree with you. However, I tend to put too much backspin on my driver which causes me to lose distance, so I do in fact gain 10-20 yards with a lower spinning driver compared to one that might have higher spin numbers. I picked up a Cleveland Classic driver which tends to have some of the lowest spin numbers of any driver from that year, and I gained 10+ yards easy just by making that switch as well as some accuracy.

Now, if you put two low spinning drivers next to each other with the same loft and shaft on it, I probably wouldn't gain much if any difference. So brand A and brand B might have very similar numbers, but brand C might be vastly better/worse for you if something like backspin numbers are much different.

If you have 5 brands that have the option that would work best for you, but you are stuck on the 6th and are unwilling to change to 1 of the 5 that would work a lot better for you, you are hurting your performance.

I think it proably could too. I don't try out new clubs as often as a lot of people here, but every time I've tried out a TM or Titleist driver the last few years, it has performed dramatically worse for me. And it's not that I don't like those brands. I loved the R7 and thought I'd end up buying an R11, but it just wasn't as good for me as other options. I love the look of Titleist clubs and played their irons for years, but they haven't performed as well for me lately either. So if I was a die hard TM or Titleist loyalist, I think I'd be giving something up compared to what I'm playing right now.

I'm not sure about this one. I think if you get fit and it's a good fitting then you should be fine. If your game is solid there might be some games but they would be minimal between the different OEMs.

I'm not so sure the ill effects would come from a brand fully so to speak, but a club that's either not fit for you or one that is out of your skill range. If I hate Mizuno for instance, no matter which club you put in my hand from them the chances are I will lose a small percentage of success with it due to mental issues I have with the brand. I know for myself through trial and error I can never put a brand in play I don't believe in fully, regardless of what the numbers say on launch monitors or ranges, I have to look at it and be confident. I think I like to play something that inspires me to be my best, looks and brand.

I think it depends on why the person's got a loyalty to the brand. A lot of the guys I know who play a bag full of all or mostly the same manufacturer tend to go that way because they've always found the clubs to work for them. I think this might be even more true of guys who play off the rack, as different manufacturers make different design decisions. For instance, I tend to not do well with an ultralight shaft, so I've had better luck with GI offerings from the folks who use a heavier shaft (Nike and Mizuno come to mind for recent lines).

Hawk does have a point re: TM's driver line last year. If an OEM goes all in on a design that might not work for someone, that could be bad. From what it sounds like they might have righted that wrong with the Aeroburner this year.

I think utterly blind loyalty can combine with technological ignorance on the part of the customer to create a situation where a player uses clubs he's got no business using, because the player is just used to using that company's gear.

I came across a thread discussing how deep brand loyalty runs and it got me thinking. I know there are some people out there that are strictly brand X gamers and would never even consider any other brand. I wonder how many people are "sabotaging" their own games because of blind brand loyalty?

I'm sure if people are brand focused there is a decent chance they aren't playing the perfect club for them, but I suppose that's the beauty of golf.

For many, it's not about the score, but the experience. We aren't all chasing par.

As long as that person is happy with their clubs, who am I to say they're leaving something on the table.

Play what you love, love what you play.

I kind of agree with this topic. I love Ping equipment and have sets of irons dating back to 84' and still game the G5's on th occasional Sunday for kicks. My current gamers are the C100's and have always admired the look and playability of Wilson irons. The thing about Wilson Staff and Ping is I would never play anything else from Wilson Staff other than their irons because theyve always made really quality, solid iron sets. I don't like their drivers, Fairway woods, hybrids or anything else for some reason and have always gone back to ping in that category. I like Adams hybrids because they feel the best not because they're popular on tour. Invest in other companies that best suit your game. You'll have more fun.

I am a Callaway guy, but I have been for as long as i can remember, does it hurt my game not sure, but I am 100% comfortable w/ what I have in the bag & that is half the battle

I believe this applies to balls more than it does equipment. Also there is something to be said about having confidence in your equipment that you prefer. I don't enjoy any TM product but found TM balls really suit my game this year, so you never know till you try.

Back