Anyone had a course give your club away?

Barberakb

USAF / Go Cowboys!
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, this is just strange.

I left my ATV wedge at the course the other day.
I call and the guy says yea, someone turned it in, give me your # and I will go get it and call u back.

I'm like sweet, I wasn't expecting to get it back but this was good news.

So I get a call back and the guys says his co worker said that she gave it to one of my friends?
WTH, I was golfing by myself that day.

Long story short, they basically gave my club to someone who I guess swindled them.
I'm not even that upset, but what kind of idiot gives a club away to someone other than the owner?
I call and ask about it and they don't even apologize. On top of that they have no idea who they gave it too...

Should I file a complaint, or just eat it?

I would be talking to a supervisor, and as far as im concerned they owe me a wedge, but on the same token I wouldnt want to destroy the relationship(if any) with the course.

Ahhh that's a toughie. It'd be hard for me to not be upset about them being so gullible, but you've gotta be getting a few free rounds out of the deal. I know I hate leaving things at the course.

I would be talking to a supervisor, and as far as im concerned they owe me a wedge, but on the same token I wouldnt want to destroy the relationship(if any) with the course.

This, but when sitting down with/talking to a supervisor or someone above whoever you talked to, be polite in saying that your upset about what happened and maybe just see what happens from there

Wow that's crazy I know I'd be having a chat with management there to rectify the situation

That is ridiculous. I can't believe they just would give your club away to someone else. I have heard some stories over the years about clubs being stolen in general. Hope you get a new wedge, as I would speak to someone. Hopefully you documented the name of the person you spoke with.

Guess who would be buying me a replacement iron?!!

First off, it sucks that they gave your club to someone who claimed to be a friend of yours.

I actually did this last year, as someone asked if someone found a certain club, and described it exactly (knew the brand, model and club number) and said it was a friends who had played the course the day before who had left it. Even knew the grip was in horrible shape and needed to be replaced. The club was nowhere in sight, as it was in the back room, so they couldn't have seen it beforehand. After reading this thread, I won't do it again.

Think of it this way though, it never would have happened if you hadn't left your club behind. I've always been lucky the few times I have left something behind. Sorry you had this issue.

Thinking on another line, maybe someone else turned in another ATV wedge and the right person really did get it. Yours might have been picked up by someone who just kept it.

Anyone had a course give your club away?

I get what everyone's saying and the fact that you called makes it even worse and that part definitely deserves the call to management.

Playing devils advocate here you did leave your club and I think the guy who stole it should be caught and banned, however I don't know how much responsibility the course bears for a club that you admittedly lost/forgot?

I've done it a ton if times myself leaving clubs behind too so I know it's a crappy situation. If they're really good they should compensate you with a wedge or some rounds though.

Using Tapatalk

I would definately be talking to somebody, at the very least you should get a few free rounds out of the deal.

I'd start by being nice and trying to convince them that they are responsible for the loss of your property (because they are). Failing that I'd be raising hell in person at the pro shop.

It really sux because I know the people that work there and don't want them to get into trouble.
At the same time, they were stupid. And I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Smalls brings up a good point in that the claimed wedge really could have been that guys and your found it's way into someone else's bag and never made it to the clubhouse. There are a ton of ATV wedges out there after all. But, as many others have mentioned, I would be having a calm talk with a supervisor to discuss the events. Odds are that they ill do something to help alleviate the situation.

I'm going to go with the calm, polite, but upset approach here. I had somewhat of the same situation happen with another sport (hockey) and after having a calm but firm conversation with the rink manager I ended up skating for free in the next league session. I'd ask how someone else was able to claim your club, were they ID'ing it properly or were they just fishing (hey did anyone turn in a lost club today?), and make the point to the management that you'd hate to see someone else get stuck in the same situation. Hopefully they will make it right by you.

I too would be upset about them giving the club to someone other than me but still a huge portion of the fault would lie with me for having lost the club in the first place. I went to 14 club organizer bags back some time ago simply for the reason that they help me see that I have misplaced a club fairly quickly, then it is only a matter of backtracking to the last place the club was used.

I would be very tactful in my complaint with a supervisor and explain my frustration with almost getting my wedge back only to be told it was given to a "friend" hopefully they will do something to compensate you and they will try to make sure nothing like this happens again. All in all though the largest portion of the fault lies with the person losing the golf club, not the course employees.

Step 1: don't forget clubs on the course.

Step 2: talk to a manager, like an adult.

This doesn't help now, but I am afraid of the same thing happing to me now that I am getting better/more expensive clubs.

How do you guys mark your clubs? I'm going to start a new thread on this.

Jackal

This wouldn't fly with me. I would be talking with someone in upper management. There's a big difference between someone not turning it in and someone doing the right thing turning it in and then staff giving it away. I would at lease chat with someone to see what they can do about it. They might not be able to do anything but at least they know.

I wouldn't be happy about it but wouldn't make too much of a fuss as it was down to me leaving it out there. I would however be expressing my disappointment in how the staff handled it, but wouldn't be demanding any kind of retribution.

This doesn't help now, but I am afraid of the same thing happing to me now that I am getting better/more expensive clubs.

Jackal

With the Kahma bag, an iron or wedge not being in the bag is immediately noticeable. There's simply no missing it.

Jackal

If you're really worried about this, I would think for a modest amount of money you could get adhesive decals printed up with your name and phone number.

I've left a club at a course, and (this being the most important word) FORTUNATELY I got the club back as it was turned in and I called and all is well. That being said, I don't believe it's the course's responsibility, it's mine and if that club was gone and the only person I could kick in the butt about it was me.

If you're really worried about this, I would think for a modest amount of money you could get adhesive decals printed up with your name and phone number.

Return mailing labels are good. And you get them free in the mail several times a year! Slap one on the club and cover it with a piece of tape. Your phone number isn't on them though.

Smalls brings up a good point in that the claimed wedge really could have been that guys and your found it's way into someone else's bag and never made it to the clubhouse. There are a ton of ATV wedges out there after all. But, as many others have mentioned, I would be having a calm talk with a supervisor to discuss the events. Odds are that they ill do something to help alleviate the situation.

It was 99.9% my club. I have a orange/black grip on it that is pretty unique. And the shop worker described it perfectly.

I realize it was my fault for leaving the club. Just dumbfounded by the way they gave it to someone else.

Back