When the 10th hole is the first hole. Does it really matter?

In the case of courses like True Blue and Caledonia, they are so popular that, in season, they start on both nines every day. When taking a group there, I always request to start on #1. They will never guarantee it, but, usually accommodate if they can. Unless you're making your reservations far in advance, it's pretty difficult for them as there will already be reservations on the tee sheet.

I do not like starting groups on both nines. The rare times we do it, it's a mess waiting to happen since the first ones off tend to play faster, so when they make their "turn" we're still sending off people on the other nine. For it to work, you need to have a full tee sheet the first two hours and then you have to close the tee sheet for the next two-plus hours and let the early birds know what is happening and encourage them NOT to play speed golf. I'd much rather have a full tee sheet starting on #1 (or #10, but not both).

I do not like starting groups on both nines. The rare times we do it, it's a mess waiting to happen since the first ones off tend to play faster, so when they make their "turn" we're still sending off people on the other nine. For it to work, you need to have a full tee sheet the first two hours and then you have to close the tee sheet for the next two-plus hours and let the early birds know what is happening and encourage them NOT to play speed golf. I'd much rather have a full tee sheet starting on #1 (or #10, but not both).

Yeah. I understand and agree. I have never been to Caledonia though that they weren't starting on both nines. Maybe it's because everyone wants morning tee times in the summer and they have fewer who want to tee off after noon.

It doesn't really bother me that much, especially if there are a few groups waiting on the first tee and the back is pretty open.

I'm not going to complain at the desk, but all things being equal I'd rather start on 1. vman's comment about sticking great finishing holes in the middle being the reason.

That being said, I do it quite often if I'm solo to avoid solo people on at least one of nines.

Depends on the course. 99% of the time no, but there is a course I play that #10 used to be a par 3 completely over water, while #1 was a short par 4 with almost no hazards. Definitely quite the difference in starts.

I have played a couple of events where I started on the 10th, but because I had never played there before it didn't really bother me apart from making sure I filled in the scorecard correctly.....

At my home course I have played an event with a shotgun start, but again it didn't really bother me as I was lucky enough to tee off on a hole that I don't find too difficult normally and depending on the wind and tee box placement for the day you could be hitting the same club as you would on the 1st

Other than Vman's point about great finishing holes, it doesn't bother me much. Only other exception is if I were scheduled to go off 1 then the boot me to 10 in last minute. That irritates me a little bit.

You can start me on 1 - 9 - 18 - 4 - 8 - 12 or any other hole. I don't care, I am playing all 18.

It is a small issue on our course. The first hole is a fairly easy par 5 while the 10th is a difficult par 3. I think you're potential to be over par early puts more pressure on you until, if you're like me, find your swing for that day.

Front nine/back nice, makes no difference to me as long as I am playing all 18.

I noticed a post in the Breaking 90 thread where the poster mentioned they had to play off the back nine which threw their game off.

For a variety of reasons, the pro shop will have you start on the back nine instead of the front nine. At Painted, it's usually league-related. Late afternoon and evening leagues are usually nine hole leagues, and they will alternate playing each nine every week. So when we have them starting on the back nine, we run the entire day starting on the back nine, so that by the time the leagues go off, #10 is open for play. 99% of the people ask why and when we tell them it's because of leagues they are good with it.

But I've seen people get irate that we don't let them go off the front since it's open and everyone is on the back. I ask them if they demand to go off the back when it's completely open when we start the people on the front, and they still don't get it, even when I explain that "for today, the front nine is the back nine". They ask why we do it all day long when the league doesn't start until way later, and the reason is so that WHEN the league starts, we don't want there to be anyone going from #9 to #10 and having to wait.

Is it a big deal to you when you have to start on the back nine instead of the front nine when that is the rule of the day? Our first hole is a Par 4 and our tenth hole is a Par 5.

We have 27 holes so each starting hole is potentially a #1 or #10. We have 2 par-5's and a par-4 to start; I'm fine starting with any of them.

I did play a course in Austin years ago that started us off on a par-3. That I don't like, and similarly, I don't like starting shotgun events on a par-3.

It's not something that bothers me.

The only consideration I have is that at my course there are three holes that route back to the club house in addition to holes 9 and 18.

They are holes 5, 13 and 16.

So if I am teeing off later in the day and there will not be enough light to finish, there are more options to finish back near the club house on the back nine.

I actually prefer it at my home course. Our back 9 is way way tougher than the front. If I can survive the back, I know I'm going to post a good number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting on 10? How about starting on 18 in your singles match at #TheGrandaddy?!

a66495642a9fa463817ad4a401ff8fe4.jpg

I destroyed that tee shot dead center in case you're wondering…

I've played in two leagues at two different courses for the last two years. We alternate front to back every week, so I don't even think it's something I notice anymore.

I also play in a ton of scrambles, and with my luck, I feel like my group ALWAYS starts on a par 3. That no longer bothers me either.

It doesn't bother me playing wise, sometimes I think its a good way to break the routine if it is a course you play often.

What it does do, however, is almost every time make me put the score on the wrong hole on my scorecard.....

It doesn't bother me playing wise, sometimes I think its a good way to break the routine if it is a course you play often.

What it does do, however, is almost every time make me put the score on the wrong hole on my scorecard.....

That's funny stuff. Love the old transcribing job that comes eventually.

No. And since the forum wants more than a three-character response, I repeat, no....

...Is it a big deal to you when you have to start on the back nine instead of the front nine when that is the rule of the day?

Starting on 10? How about starting on 18 in your singles match at #TheGrandaddy?!

a66495642a9fa463817ad4a401ff8fe4.jpg

I destroyed that tee shot dead center in case you're wondering…

I've played in two leagues at two different courses for the last two years. We alternate front to back every week, so I don't even think it's something I notice anymore.

I also play in a ton of scrambles, and with my luck, I feel like my group ALWAYS starts on a par 3. That no longer bothers me either.

Amen brother! As you can see from Pete's picture, I am up there in the fairway not letting it bother me. Haha.

Honestly though, it usually doesn't bother me but there is one course that I play rather frequently that it does bother me on. Generally its a frost delay that changes the nines as the back nine receives sun earlier and they will get us going earlier than waiting for the front. The problem is that holes 11-14 are some of the hardest holes on the course and it is a tough way to get your day started.

I'm just glad the shop has a tee time for me. I don't care what hole it is.

I'm just happy to be here, and I, uh, hope I can play well. You know, I just wanna give it my best shot, and good Lord willing, things will work out. You know, you got to play 'em one day at a time though. Smallville, right? That's a beautiful name. Is that Greek? That Smallville. I don't know. It's a beautiful name, though. There's a great song by Motley Crue. Do you know it? Smallville, he's a stayin'. Anyway, a good friend of mine used to say, 'This is a very simple game. You hit the ball, you find the ball. You hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains.' Think about that for a while.

I can start on any hole. No big deal to me. Some people will whine about anything.

Doesn't bother me a bit. Could start me on 3 for all I care, as long as I get to play all 18.

Just wondering, how often a stay and play course needs to do that? Do these courses have leagues that would warrant having to start players off #10 occasionally or is there some other reason they swap the nines?

I've found some resort courses will do this in an effort to handle crowds. It unfortunately leads to crowded and slow courses, but it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time it's ever bothered me is my old home course. #10 is a very tough, tight tree lined par 4. #1 on the other hand I a pretty wide open par 5. If you're like me and usually walking from the parking lot to the tee box it makes things more difficult. The back nine is considerably harder off the tee box. I don't remember myself or any playing partners complaining. Just part of playing golf.

Personally I kinda like it since it breaks up the norm. The only thing I don't like is starting on a par 3 during a shotgun start.

I don't see why it should bother me. I'm going to play every hole anyway.

Back