When the 10th hole is the first hole. Does it really matter?

Never really bothered me to start on #10 but I have witnessed it bothering guys I'm playing with sometimes. I understand, (I guess?), #10 on the course I play most often is a medium length par 3 with OB just 16 yards left of the green and not really much room to bail out right either. Seems whenever someone whines about this before teeing off they almost 100% of the time screw up what should be an easy shot. Oh and the other certainty is the scorecard will be marked in the wrong box too.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter to me at all on the courses I play. There are some courses that I have played with a real tough 10th hole which makes it less desirable to have to start on.

I only dislike it when they do it at one certain course. The tenth is a 440-450 yard par 4 and there is no range, so it makes it a tough first tee shot and approach shot.

I don't really care one way or the other. I'd prefer my first shot of the day to be kind of straight forward though so I'm not really looking to start with a forced carry or something like that.

Front 9 or back 9 doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Wishing all of THP a happy and safe 2015!!

You could have me start on number 7 for all I care.

not a big deal for me or my playing partners, a few times we even ask to start on the back, depending on how fast the course is playing that day

At my home course I would rather go off 10, a straightaway 400 yard par 4, than 1, a dogleg par 5 that requires a fair amount of precision to keep it on the fairway off the tee.

But in general I don't mind, so long as the 9th doesn't end some long distance from the clubhouse.

Doesn't bother me at all I'll play whatever they put me on for the most part. I have one regular course that has 27 holes, east, north, and west. I do refute to play west as it has footgolf on it that runs perpendicular across the fairways. Other than that I'll play whatever they put me on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the back 9 is usually a bit more challenging than the front. Maybe I'm tired or something by the back nine, but it seems so.
Doesn't bother me one way or another, but if I have a choice, I always start at hole 1.

It matters on bethpage black.

No bother but it would slightly annoy me if #10 and/or then my finishing hole on #9 were par 3's. I only played one course like that (Patriot Hills, Stony Point, NY) but I've never had to start on the back.

I personally don't care what hole I start on. It does not effect me

It matters on bethpage black.

I think for certain courses it would matter to me in a big way. Take for instance I wouldn't want to play Augusta reversed at all.

No, I don't think it should matter...

However, if the normal starting hole is the 8th-18th ranked hole on the course but the 10th is the number 1 I can see where people might have an issue especially if they're going out cold.

The tour does it when they are playing catch-up after a rain delay - no biggie it seems.

Ten is a par 5 with 11 and 12 being two tough par 4s. No I don't like to start tournaments on ten. One tournament, I hooked into a big pine and the ball came back into the lake, double to start that day. One time a triple on 11 had me playing from behind. I would rather ease into those holes. Everyday play, I don't mind.

I have no problems with it except the rare case of starting on a Par 3 but that usually will only last until I am about to tee off.

Doesn't matter to me. One course I play often I actually prefer it. 1, 2 and 3 are tough holes to start on. Where as 10, 11 and 12 are easier.

Wow, that would never bother me. Slow play bothers me, but I'm happy playing where the proshop thinks is best.

Back