Which ball is the best?

The best golf balls for me are the free ones!

The Camo ball

The same disease happens in both hunting and target shooting...$1500-$2000 for a rifle and optics and they shoot steel cased Russian ammo. "I don't know why this M1A National Match is only shooting 4 inch groups, it has the Kreiger barrel?" Maybe its because your using 40 year old Turkish surplus that you store in your outdoor shed.
For hunting, why would you skimp on the only part of your setup that touches the animal? "I got these for $11 a box at Wal-Mart, that should do..." Sure it will, until you are tracking that wounded spike across half the county because you didn't realize the 180 grain loads you bought have a different POI than the 150's you zeroed with and they over penetrated and didn't perform properly.
Are you a shooter ? I use to shoot Service Rifle matches . Shot at Camp Perry in the Nationals once

I believe there is a right ball for everyone out there. This is why I give huge thanks and praise to Bridgestone for there ball fitting service.

Asked this of many pros at the PGA shows and basically was told that all the higher end balls are the same but if you like one type then just play it. All about confidence when swinging so if you feel you play better with a Taylor Made ball use them. Most of the guys I play with go with the Titleist Pro V.

Cheers

Asked this of many pros at the PGA shows and basically was told that all the higher end balls are the same but if you like one type then just play it. All about confidence when swinging so if you feel you play better with a Taylor Made ball use them. Most of the guys I play with go with the Titleist Pro V.

Cheers
I believe this couldn't be farther from the truth. But to each their own.

There’s no such thing as a best ball. There’s a ball that suits your game the best.

Millions of players are in love with the Pro V1. I can’t get those things in the fairway with my driver. Does that mean it isn’t the best ball? No, it isn’t the best ball for me. A Chrome Soft-like ball might be ideal for me, but lacking in several departments for other players.

I agree with Pete. While I may prefer some balls over others, mainly due to sound off the putter and wedge.

I'm sure like him I wouldn't be able to quantify the differences of those balls he mentioned by hitting them blindly.

Interesting thread, being a new (and pretty mediocre) golfer, I got a dozen one hit wonder Pro V1's, hoping that they may help my game, however after losing around 4 of them in one round, I do have to question the whole cost/benefit situation... do I continue with the ball due to their worldwide praise, or do I down grade due to the risk of loss, but take a hit on performance... it's a dilemma I ponder every day!

Are you a shooter ? I use to shoot Service Rifle matches . Shot at Camp Perry in the Nationals once
I've dabbled with service rifle and as issued vintage bolt action. Golf is cheaper than ammo...

The answer is all personal preference. Try a wide variety and decide what feels and works best for you.

The straightest longest ball that provides the most feel and spin around the greens. Its a compromise as spin around the greens its not good for staight and long of the tee. Longest straightest ball of the tee for me is the is the Zstar but not really enough spin and feel around the greens. The TM TP is a good compromise long of the tee and soft and spinny around the greens. ProV is reasonable compromise but lacks feel always feel like you are hitting a football.

Back