Golf in Charleston SC

JRod

Reaction score
Handicap
4.2 USGA
I'm heading down in May and would love some suggestions on courses to play.

Greens fees are not an issue of you feel the course is worth it. We're staying in the north side of town and would love to keep the ideas within an hour.

Thanks THP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the Calling all Carolinians thread that ir13 linked, there was discussion of playing in Charleston a few weekends ago. 3 courses were up for debate. We wound up playing Patriot's Point. It was a nice course and the 4 THP'ers there had a lot of fun. There are some photos in that thread of Patriots Point.

I got to play Charleston National, Patriots Point and Crowfield Golf Club when I was down there and really liked Charleston and Crowfield. Patriots Point was nice, but it was really windy when we played making it slightly miserable. We walked Crowfield and while the pro shop failed to tell us about 1/4 mile walk between a couple of holes but for $15 in the afternoon - you can't beat it. I wanted to play the Links at Stono Ferry when I was there, but we had a hard time getting a tee time that worked for us.

JRod, send Marc a PM. He lives in Charleston so when we're down there to play, I always ask for his recommendations. Chances are he'll say The Links at Stono Ferry, Rivertowne, Patriots Point, Charleston National, Dunes West, Wescott Plantation, and Coosaw Creek. That's the last list he sent me, with high recommendations for Coosaw Creek.

JRod, send Marc a PM. He lives in Charleston so when we're down there to play, I always ask for his recommendations. Chances are he'll say The Links at Stono Ferry, Rivertowne, Patriots Point, Charleston National, Dunes West, Wescott Plantation, and Coosaw Creek. That's the last list he sent me, with high recommendations for Coosaw Creek.

The GM at Coosaw Creek used to be a head pro up here. I haven't been down to play. But a mutual friend has several times and says it is very very good.

Kiawah Island Ocean Course is on quite a few bucket lists if price is not a factor.

It depends how north of Charleston you are and how much of a drive you're willing to do. But, I would think a day trip down to Kiawah would be worth it. Ocean Course is obviously there, and the other resort courses are solid. I think Cougar Pointe is pretty underrated.

Kiawah is 45min to an hour from downtown Charleston as a point of reference.

Golf in Charleston SC

If money isn't an issue then I think Kiawah is a must.

I went last year and JB suggested Wild Dunes. They have 2 courses and we played 36 in the day. I'd highly recommend a look at them.

Last edited:
Wild Dunes is a solid choice as well.

I've played Charleston National, Stono Ferry, Coosaw Creek. I enjoyed all three. Charleston National has some holes that are target golf. I'm fine with that but know some golfers don't. Some beautiful scenery through the wetlands.

Stono Ferry is a fun course with some challenging green complexes. Make sure not to shortside yourself. Absolutely stunning 3 hole stretch out along the river.

Coosaw Creek is probably the best design of the three. I played with Trout out there last Feb or March. Very good conditions and a really nice layout. You'll enjoy.

I've also played The Ocean Course out on Kiawah. Bucket list course and very worthy of it. One of my best golfing days ever was spent there, and that wasn't because of my score. Tough, tough, tough, but still fun to play.

I'm flying down tomorrow, weather is showing 60's for the most part.

You guys golfing in shorts and a polo still?

Edit: Any good food spots in Charleston/North Charleston?

This is a PERFECT thread for me! I'll be heading down there mid-march and staying in Folly Beach, just south of Charleston. Patriots Point has come up on a lot of lists I've seen, as well as Wild Dunes. I'll definitely be trying to hit the Ocean Course at Kiawah if I can find a better price than $413 a round (OUCH!).

I'm flying down tomorrow, weather is showing 60's for the most part.

You guys golfing in shorts and a polo still?

Tons of food options, what do you like?

LOL. That's like asking if fish are wet. Of course there are!

If you want great food but want to go very casual, I'd look at Fuel. Love their grilled tuna tacos. Across the street is Hominy Grill which may have the best shrimp and grits in Charleston, along with a lot of other traditional southern fare. If you can work around the odd hours of operation (11:30 to 2:30 lunch, 5:30 to 9 dinner), Poogan's Porch has some good meals ... hope you don't mind that it's haunted. Then there is Fig, Magnolias (along with Blossom and Cypress), and Husk. Those are just a few I've visited, and there are many others. For dessert, I wouldn't pass up Kaminsky's.

Tons of food options, what do you like?

Thanks Trout,

I am not too picky, and just like trying local restaurants. I'd like to get at least one good steak while I am down for a few days. Wouldn't mind a nice local deli for lunch.

We had a ridiculously awesome meal at Poogans porch. Ribeye special .id highly recommend

Check out DIG in park circle, great eats and awesome burgers, Dog and Duck for wings Get the double dunked and thank me later lol, Monza downtown for pizza on King street. North Charleston is tough, not a ton of good stuff and mostly chains, Rutledge cab co for burgers is good, moe's crosstown tavern is awesome for burgers too. Shoot me a pm when you get in and I'll send you my number, I'll give you directions to any of them.

I'm heading down in May and would love some suggestions on courses to play.

Greens fees are not an issue of you feel the course is worth it. We're staying in the north side of town and would love to keep the ideas within an hour.

Thanks THP!

There are a few solid courses here, but the conditions are hit and miss. Stono ferry is a great track, some incredible visuals on the river holes and the course offers a great test of length, accuracy, and decision making it's a fun course, Rivertowne is another course that really offers a wide array of visuals and tests and like Stono the conditions are usually pretty solid, Coosaw creek in Summerville/North Charleston is one of my favorites, club selection off the tee is important on a few holes (hard doglegs) it's got a great mix of length, shot shaping, and finicky greens, it's just a fun course in good shape and pretty inexpensive.

Middle of the road is Patriots point, Charleston Natl, Crowfield, and Wescott, sometimes they slack a little on the upkeep and conditions can be sketchy.

Have fun, hopefully the weather will be good, May can be wet down here.

I live in Charleston and I am usually available for golf on the weekends...if anyone wants someone to hit the courses with

Hey Jrod,

I just got back from Charleston, I was able to golf at Dunes West Links course and Rivertowne front 9. Both courses were in great shape, however I enjoyed Dunes West due to the last 2 holes and the Ocean views.

As far as food goes, I did try "Fuel" for lunch and enjoyed their Tuna Tacos.

The best dinner I had was at "Hall's Steakhouse". I got the dry aged ribeye with the cream corn skillet side. Both were amazing, however the tab was about $80 for myself including a beer and a glass of red with dinner. The meal was well worth the money, and that place was packed.

Be sure to stay in Downtown Charleston and not North Charleston. Have fun

Thanks all for the great input!

Alot of great golfing in and around Chucktown, IMO one of the best places in the USA to play golf is Charleston, and the state of SC. First choice with it being Charleston would of course be The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and I enjoyed the Osprey Point also at Kiawah, if you can play those, they would be the #1 choices by far. OTHER great places IMO are the Links Course at Wild Dunes and Charleston National. Also even though it is technically a "budget" course I loved to play The Links at Stono Ferry.... :)

Anyone have a good booking site for courses around Charleston? I'm really trying to play the Ocean Course and maybe 3 or so other rounds at a more modest price point.

Hey Jrod,

I just got back from Charleston, I was able to golf at Dunes West Links course and Rivertowne front 9. Both courses were in great shape, however I enjoyed Dunes West due to the last 2 holes and the Ocean views.

As far as food goes, I did try "Fuel" for lunch and enjoyed their Tuna Tacos.

The best dinner I had was at "Hall's Steakhouse". I got the dry aged ribeye with the cream corn skillet side. Both were amazing, however the tab was about $80 for myself including a beer and a glass of red with dinner. The meal was well worth the money, and that place was packed.

Be sure to stay in Downtown Charleston and not North Charleston. Have fun

Pretty sure you mean the Links Course at Wild Dunes. There is another course called Dunes West, but that won't have ocean views, but instead has views of the marsh.

I'm headed to Charleston next weekend, not for golf, but still can't wait to get back there. It's been too long since I've been there.

Back