The Official 2013 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Zimmer will make an excellent head coach somewhere, but I wonder if Detroit will want to go with another defensive guy after having Schwartz in place over the past few years.

Depends on who they would bring in as a OC.

I am not sure how much Jerry cares about winning. He wants to be super involved in the team, and I really think that is more important than wins to him

That is the key right there. Jerry Jone's number one goal for the Cowboys is not winning. If it was, he would do things differently. He's not stupid. But his primary goals are making money and having control of what he wants to control. Winning takes a back seat to those things. The record speaks for itself on this issue. Furthermore, the man admitted last year that he would have fired an independent GM that had his performance record.

The only hope for us Cowboy fans (besides Jerry going bye-bye) is that someday his priorities change, and he decides that he wants to have a franchise that contends for the Super Bowl, and he decides that it is not critical that he have a hand in everything so he gets all the credit if they do well, and he decides he will do whatever is necessary to win games and contend with the best. But as long as his primary motivation is money and assuaging his own ego, the team will remain as it is now, a mediocre team with a .500 record. :arrogant:

Lovie Smith already the favorite to land the Bucs job

This should get some people up in arms. But they always change stats (not scores) after reviewing them, so Brees might still have the single season yardage record.

Peyton Manning’s passing record might not be a passing record

On Sunday, Peyton Manning broke Drew Brees’ NFL record for most passing yards in a season. Thanks to the 266 yards passing Manning had in the first half of Sunday’s blowout win over the Raiders, he finished 2013 with 5,477 yards passing, just one yard ahead of Brees’ 2011 NFL record of 5,476.

But a Reddit user noticed that one of Manning’s Week 17 completions – a seven-yard first-quarter reception by Eric Decker — may have been a lateral. If it was, then the play would no longer be considered a passing play, and Manning would not have set the record. According to an ESPN report, the NFL is taking a closer look at the play.

“The league’s record-keepers were taking another look at things Monday, as is customary each week in the season. At issue, according to sources, is a 7-yard completion from Manning to Eric Decker with just over a minute remaining in the first quarter.”

See the footage here: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/peyton-manning-passing-record-denver-broncos/

Yes, it looks like Decker catches the ball behind Manning’s release point, but as anyone who’s ever seen a debated call at the goal line knows, camera angles can be deceiving. In theory, this may be a backward pass and Manning may have actually passed for six fewer yards than Brees’ record year. In reality, it was ruled a pass on the field and unless someone’s going to go through every pass from Manning’s 2013 and Brees’ 2011, this should be a non-starter. If we wanted to get technical about it, every poor spot by a line judge could be reviewed too. Where would it end?

More to the point, with the way NFL offenses are evolving, Peyton’s yardage mark probably gets topped in the next two years anyway.

This should get some people up in arms. But they always change stats (not scores) after reviewing them, so Brees might still have the single season yardage record.

Peyton Manning’s passing record might not be a passing record

On Sunday, Peyton Manning broke Drew Brees’ NFL record for most passing yards in a season. Thanks to the 266 yards passing Manning had in the first half of Sunday’s blowout win over the Raiders, he finished 2013 with 5,477 yards passing, just one yard ahead of Brees’ 2011 NFL record of 5,476.

But a Reddit user noticed that one of Manning’s Week 17 completions – a seven-yard first-quarter reception by Eric Decker — may have been a lateral. If it was, then the play would no longer be considered a passing play, and Manning would not have set the record. According to an ESPN report, the NFL is taking a closer look at the play.

See the footage here: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/peyton-manning-passing-record-denver-broncos/

Yes, it looks like Decker catches the ball behind Manning’s release point, but as anyone who’s ever seen a debated call at the goal line knows, camera angles can be deceiving. In theory, this may be a backward pass and Manning may have actually passed for six fewer yards than Brees’ record year. In reality, it was ruled a pass on the field and unless someone’s going to go through every pass from Manning’s 2013 and Brees’ 2011, this should be a non-starter. If we wanted to get technical about it, every poor spot by a line judge could be reviewed too. Where would it end?

More to the point, with the way NFL offenses are evolving, Peyton’s yardage mark probably gets topped in the next two years anyway.
I'd love to hear a statement from Brees on this!!!

Hope he can go to a team that gives him a chance to win a few more games...

Classic.. Rodgers is on tha Dan Patrick show right now..

Dan - So the mustache is gone for good now?

Rodgers - Yes, its gone for good.

Dan - Good, because it was bad.

Rodgers - Like bad as in good?

..HA, now they are talking about Rodgers dying his hair.

I think the playoffs this year are going to be pretty amazing.

Bears are out after a terrible loss so current talks are about the unrestricted FA like Cutler. Let Cutler go, please! Articles about him receiving a multi year deal having him make more than $9 million a year. For the love of god, let him go, rebuild the D, and draft a QB for Trestmans system. Trestman has obviously shown he can make a mediocre QB, like McCown, look amazing.

Bears are out after a terrible loss so current talks are about the unrestricted FA like Cutler. Let Cutler go, please! Articles about him receiving a multi year deal having him make more than $9 million a year. For the love of god, let him go, rebuild the D, and draft a QB for Trestmans system. Trestman has obviously shown he can make a mediocre QB, like McCown, look amazing.

I'm guessing that $9 million is a typo... That would be a steal

Three teams looking like they will be blacked out this weekend including the Packers. Odd.

Three teams looking like they will be blacked out this weekend including the Packers. Odd.

Hopefully the FCC wins their fight against the NFL regarding blackouts.

Really? I thought blackouts happened when the game isn't sold out? Guessing they're all sold out...

Really? I thought blackouts happened when the game isn't sold out? Guessing they're all sold out...

Yeah, it seems a little off. Even if they aren't already sold out there is still plenty of time for them to get there.

I would be pretty shocked if it didn't sell out. That would be crazy.

Good move for the Texans, sucks for Penn State:

Good move for the Texans, sucks for Penn State:

Really sad to see this.

Money isn't always everything. I think he will regret this decision.

Really sad to see this.

Money isn't always everything. I think he will regret this decision.
I think he will too, when he is canned in 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back