Your personal trends of 2014 - good, bad and the ugly

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
A little self-assessment can't hurt going into the new year ...

GOOD:

- Driving way more consistent - just grooving a nice controlled tempo.
- Sand game - much better, made more up and downs than ever.
- Lag putting - hot and cold, but far more hot than cold ... trending well.

BAD:

- Approach shots - used to be my strong suit ... leaving too many long lag putts from easy 80-110 yd approach shots.
- Green side chipping - you know, the nice easy ones ... just can't get them tight enough for tap ins.

UGLY:

- Short putting - yip city ... getting in my head - missing way too many in the 3 to 4 ft range.

-----> GO

Last edited:
Good:
Increased distance with irons, getting a better turn and flushing the ball more often.

Bad:
Driving, usually a strength, I just couldn't get comfortable off the tee, I hit around 60% of fairways this season which is a bit low for me.

Ugly:
Sixty to seventy five yards in was brutal for me this year, put a lot of pressure on my mid range putting since I wasn't hitting it close enough from that yardage.

GOOD:
I typically hit the ball reasonably close to where I was aiming. I also like to think that my putting is a hair better than average. (but underscore like to think)

BAD:
Distance, or rather the lack of distance. I play with very few that hit shorter than I.

UGLY:
Sand bunkers, my play is not just ugly, its fugly.

Good:
Best year ever for fairways hit at 78%
early year work on the long irons paid huge dividends
short game around the greens was it's best

Bad:
Putting was pretty bad
Short and mid irons were too far from the pin for birdie opps

Ugly:
Mental game! I totally lost it this year, I got nervous when in years past I was numb
My behavior was a little stupid on the course, language was over the top (not angry cussing just cussing)
30 yd penalty for unsportsmanlike behavior, I acted the fool a couple times and disappointed myself with jackassery.

Good:
Short game and putting improved.
Shortened backswing that lead to better consistency and contact

Bad:
Swing tempo disappeared late in the season

Ugly:
Driving accuracy late due to swing tempo issues.
Inconsistency late in the season due to less time practicing and playing

Pretty much every facet of my game improved in 2014 that ks to lessons and more practice. Areas that still need the most work are lag putting and green side chipping game.

Good: I was much more consistent in my scores and right around my average for the past couple of years. In addition, I became much more comfortable on courses I've never played before, and my scores showed that.

Bad: Iron consistency plagued me last year, and the driver was more miss than hit.

Ugly: Putting, which has always been a very strong suit, got progressively worse as the season went on. I was still at or just below a 2 putt average on my home course, but I wasn't gaining any strokes missing a lot of 5 footers.

Thankfully, I addressed many of the problems late in the season by altering my putting stroke, and getting a more forgiving driver.

~Rock

Good:

Increased distance with all my clubs after starting a golf specific exercise routine.
Index stayed about the same.
Made my second career ace on May 20th.
First year with no surgeries since 2010(I did get bit and hospitalized by a rattle snake in June just to keep my reckless reputation intact)

Bad:

Wife's new job and having 3 kids in sports meant I only played 3 rounds of golf between June 13th - September 10th. Played only 29 rounds - my fewest number of rounds since 1977 when it all started.
Putting improved little if anything even though I worked on it more than I had in over a decade. Putting has always been my biggest opportunity to get better.

Ugly:

4 blowup rounds where I made 3 or more triple bogies or worse. One of them I was 11 over after 6 holes after making birdie on the first hole.

Your personal trends of 2014 - good, bad and the ugly

Good: focused more on my game, came up with a game plan come mid year. Began to hit it much more solid. Gained a little distance over that time as well,as per solid strikes. Bad: less time to play as of work and watching my son 6 days a week. Had a total of 15 rounds and a low score of 85. Last thought: need to minimize damage to bogey at worst, take my time and plan out recovery shots and strategize a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good: I hit more fairways, and more greens than I have in previous years. I had fun every time I played, and that was a very welcome change!

Bad: Lag putting was terrible. Overall distance off the tee might be a bit shorter (but that meant a bit more control and more fairways).

Ugly: Sand wrecks me. It shouldn't, I used to be good out of the sand. Playing less and less my confidence from the sand is at an all time low.

Good

Iron game was my best asset

Bad

Putting was hot/cold with it being mostly cold

Awful

Driving was down right pitiful. :angry:

Good - The weather is nice.
Bad - Driving, irons, wedges, chips, and pitches.
Ugly - sand and putting.

Good: gained half club distance in irons after lessons in spring, and more accuracy. Better short game meant higher scrambling percentage.

Bad: Driver accuracy decreased a bit after swing change. Putting still just very average.

Awful: crazy work schedule and bad weather last 4 months has meant fewer rounds. Game has fallen off and I feel like I'm having to almost start over. Need a good stretch of golfing weather to get me back in the groove.

Good:
Irons are flying high and far and my worst misses are very playable.
Chipping is very good from an assortment of lies.
Lag putting is very good and I have almost no 3 putts to my name.
Mid-range putting is good and I like my odds from 6-16 feet.
Bad:
I'd like my 90-140 game to be much sharper. I seem to only make unlikely birdies lately.
Ugly:
Tee game has a two-way miss, and a diving duck hook that keeps coming back every once in awhile to ruin a couple rounds.

Good:
My mental approach to the game.

Bad:
Driving consistency, short game consistency, actually making putts.

Ugly:
My iron play and it's MADDENING.

Good: Putting was my strength this year. I had very few 3 putts and the results of my lag putts were thankfully well within my target circle (see ugly).

Bad: 1-2 holes each round that I suddenly forgot how to swing a club and topped everything, except my putter.

Ugly: Short game. Being a short knocker it has always been my saving grace. However, I developed a fear of hitting the ball too far. 30 yards or 30 inches from the green I was happy if it only took 4 strokes to reach the putting surface. It was so bad that Sox told my Sunday group at SeeMore "if he reaches for a wedge, break his fingers."

Good: through most of the year, fairways were well over 70%. Putting got a lot better and late in the summer made great strides in bunker play.

Bad: mid/long irons. Still need to work on getting these bad boys under more control. Self talk. I say really bad things to myself sometimes and it affects how I approach the next shot or rest of the round.

Ugly: right now my short game! I got more chunks right now than a half gallon of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream!

JM

Good: Put the work in to improve my short game quite dramatically
Found consistency in my driver for most of the season.
Found a putting stroke that I can be consistent with, especially from inside 8-10 feet.
Bought new clubs (Seriously, I need it BAD)

Bad: Never got my fitness up so I had some aches and pains
Double bogeys. Gotta figure out how to eliminate the blow ups.

Ugly: Random push fade draws that result in penalties. SMH

Good: i hit my irons pretty well last year. Also my Sand game and putting improved.

Bad: chipping and not going for the hero shot.

Ugly: could not hit driver if my life depended on it.

GOOD
* I improved significantly as the season came to a close, lowering my handicap by about 25% from the prior year.
* Tee game became a strength.
* I started to finally find an iron game / moved to a more forgiving iron set

BAD
Short game is not good enough to create real scoring chances.

UGLY
I got beat like a rented mule in end of season match play events.

Last edited:
Trends of 2014:

good: ball striking in general improved through lessons, wedges became a strength. Driver also pretty good.

bad: putting was streaky. Lots of great runs, others not so much.

Ugly: FW off the deck. Irons off the tee for some reason.

Good: Short game and putting. It is amazing what a little practice will do.

Bad: Iron approach shots. My miss last season was solid strike left of the target.

Ugly: 2 week period with a snap hook off of the tee. It had me so rattled, I played the senior tees a few rounds.

Good
My short game (wedges & putts) has been the shining point of my game lately.

Bad
Iron play has been very hit & miss for the last 2 months.

Ugly
I can not get off the tee box lately to save my life and is really putting a strain on the rest of my game. Either low running snap hooks or smothered hooks.
I honestly have not felt good standing on any tee box in 2 months.

Good: Tee game is very solid right now with most clubs. Starting to minimize my misses much better than I once did. Short game, particularly chipping, is improved. Iron game is generally solid, and at least doesn't get me into trouble.
Bad: Putting is just not good enough, particularly in the 5-10 ft range. Lag putting can sometimes be a crapshoot. Need to hit more greens, particularly par 3's.
Ugly: Sand game. Sometimes it's so bad that I might as well take two penalty strokes and drop it on the green. It has been my Achilles heel for a while, but I plan on fixing it this year and have already seen a few promising things.

Good :

-Putting was the strongest part of my game

Bad :
- Missed too many greens with approach shots from outside of 160 yards

Ugly :
- Where the heck did my bunker game go ?

Back