Another new Cally driver? Discuss!

Never understood the anxiety that comes from companies releasing a ton of gear throughout the year. How is that bad?

I'm not arguing that more options is good for the consumer. It really is. I think there may be a sort of general worry across those who follow golf equipment (THPers being an example) that, with every new idea, there's one more design idea that's being tried. Whether it works or not is almost irrelevant to the idea that, within the limited design space, eventually there will be no more new things.

Also, something Phil points out in that video clip is that these advantages in terms of spin rate and distance are achieved by moving CoG forward, and that doing so reduces MOI. There's nothing wrong with that on its face, except that as MOI decreases, the theory goes, forgiveness in general also decreases. The general consensus on the SLDR reviews would seem to confirm that it's not nearly as forgiving a driver as many other recent offerings. Long, but not terribly forgiving. As someone who has heard new equipment touted as being both longer and more forgiving for a long time, I wonder if that is coming to an end. I'm not opposed to the idea that, eventually, we're going to have to swing better and faster to hit the ball farther. I just think it's kind of interesting that it seems to be slowing down a bit. New equipment no longer lets you eat your cake and have it, too. No one presumes they can hit the same irons as a tour player, but I think it's a different animal when it comes to drivers. People want to hit the driver they see on the tour. Those drivers are now getting to be more demanding of the player comparatively, IMO.

Last edited:
I have heard this before. Can you think of any other product out there that people buy to use and have it not go down in value? This includes every consumer product. Cars, technology, furniture, tools, apparel, etc.

No, which is why its a stupid argument for delaying product launches. It's golf equipment, not a Picasso.

Its the same tired argument with every new release.

All I know is that Phil sure can get the consumers excited by the way he explains and describes new equipment. He has to be the perfect ambassador just by the way he tries to expand people's knowledge. His enthusiasm and description certainly got me looking forward to Callaway's next driver release!

More stuff to make me play good?!!?! Oh noes!

I have heard this before. Can you think of any other product out there that people buy to use and have it not go down in value? This includes every consumer product. Cars, technology, furniture, tools, apparel, etc.

true, and while I don't disagree with anything you said, think it's more of a general feeling with pretty much every manufacturer, save maybe Titlist at this point. what used to be yearly cycles, are now semi-annual or even trimesters now. Agreed, this has become the norm, so people should just get over it now, but i think alot still harkening back to the old days.

To use your analogy, I think if you bought a new 2014 car today, and 3 months from now the manufacturer released 2014 version 2, before releasing the 2015 model, and all of a sudden your car was two models old for reslae or trade-in, i'm pretty sure you'd be somewhat miffed. So really what we're debating now is what should be considered the "norm"

And as far as this club goes...if Callaway makes another wood with the Big Bertha moniker, I will buy sight unseen purely out of nostalgia.

true, and while I don't disagree with anything you said, think it's more of a general feeling with pretty much every manufacturer, save maybe Titlist at this point. what used to be yearly cycles, are now semi-annual or even trimesters now. Agreed, this has become the norm, so people should just get over it now, but i think alot still harkening back to the old days.

To use your analogy, I think if you bought a new 2014 car today, and 3 months from now the manufacturer released 2014 version 2, before releasing the 2015 model, and all of a sudden your car was two models old for reslae or trade-in, i'm pretty sure you'd be somewhat miffed. So really what we're debating now is what should be considered the "norm"

And as far as this club goes...if Callaway makes another wood with the Big Bertha moniker, I will buy sight unseen purely out of nostalgia.

But car makers have many different models in the same year. They don't put out one car and call it a year.

Its not really the same analogy though. Car makers have many many different models each year (just like this and each is advertised as best in class). In golf, its been done this way for close to a decade and a club is not about the year it came out, its about the use one gets. A cars resale value matters because it is usually the 2nd most valuable thing a person owns. Only guys on the internet chase resale value in golf clubs. Few clubs have years on them and virtually no company sticks to a release cycle anymore except Titleist and frankly with their shrinking marketshare, I highly doubt that stays that way.

Ping, Adams, Mizuno, TaylorMade, Callaway, Cleveland, Wilson All release equipment throughout the year
Titleist and Bridgestone stick to 2 year cycle (modestly with putter and wedge releases for Titleist).

If someone is buying their golf equipment in hopes they can get maximum trade in value. To be perfectly frank...They are a fool. One should ONLY buy golf equipment that works for them and helps them enjoy the game more.

But car makers have many different models in the same year. They don't put out one car and call it a year.

Of course you're right, probably a better example would be sticking to one line. Like say you bought a Chrysler mini-van and they came out with another addition mini-van model midyear, where one didn't exist the year prior.

Intriguing driver, but I just bought an x hot, I can't become more of a club hoe, or can I?

Of course you're right, probably a better example would be sticking to one line. Like say you bought a Chrysler mini-van and they came out with another addition mini-van model midyear, where one didn't exist the year prior.

Chrysler has FIVE different versions of the Town and Country minivan labeled 2014......

Let me ask an honest question to those that have an issue with release timing.
Do you think a company that has millions of dollars in research and development to create products should sit around and not release something until a specific time has elapsed just so a few on the internet are not upset that they dont have the latest and greatest and their resale goes down a few bucks? And who determines that time? I mean this genuinely. When is it okay to release a product and not have them "be the bad guys"? Is it once a year? Is it every 2 years?

Its not really the same analogy though. Car makers have many many different models each year (just like this and each is advertised as best in class). In golf, its been done this way for close to a decade and a club is not about the year it came out, its about the use one gets. A cars resale value matters because it is usually the 2nd most valuable thing a person owns. Only guys on the internet chase resale value in golf clubs. Few clubs have years on them and virtually no company sticks to a release cycle anymore except Titleist and frankly with their shrinking marketshare, I highly doubt that stays that way.

Ping, Adams, Mizuno, TaylorMade, Callaway, Cleveland, Wilson All release equipment throughout the year
Titleist and Bridgestone stick to 2 year cycle (modestly with putter and wedge releases for Titleist).

If someone is buying their golf equipment in hopes they can get maximum trade in value. To be perfectly frank...They are a fool. One should ONLY buy golf equipment that works for them and helps them enjoy the game more.

well first, 10 years ago, the resale market wasn't anywhere near as established as it is today. Things like ebay, craigslist, etc, weren't anywhere near as prevalent as they are today.

And of course no one buys their equipment expecting maximum trade in value...but certainly it's reasonable to have an expectation base on previous product cycles of how long that model they bought is going to be relevant on the market before a new release occurs. Not sure that's cause to call anyone a fool. I agree with you that by now people should be used to it and expect they're going to see a new driver released every 4-6 months.

A better example than the car one is how many people hold off buying an iphone when a new model is scheduled to be released a week later? Apple has basically a yearly cycle on iPhones. If you just bought an iPhone 5C, and they released an iPhone 5D in 4-6 months, you'd probably be perturbed you didn't get the value of having the "top end" for as long as you expected. And ultimately that's all this is. Is everyone of these drivers really that much better than the previous model, always advertising more yard and better accuracy? Of course not. But the manufacturers are counting on people wanting to have the latest and greatest and feeling off that, or otherwise they'd stick to longer product cycles and cut down on the R&D costs.

Chrysler has FIVE different versions of the Town and Country minivan labeled 2014......

yes, and they're all released at the same time. That's like saying the Amp Cell driver has 5 version counting each color...not the argument being made here.

I'm seeing though that this is clearly an emotional issue for some, and frankly it's not even really an issue for me, as i could care less. I just thought i understood the argument put forth and though i could do a better job articulating it since it's not emotional for me, but apparently i suck too :(

yes, and they're all released at the same time. That's like saying the Amp Cell driver has 5 version counting each color...not the argument being made here.

I'm seeing though that this is clearly an emotional issue for some, and frankly it's not even really an issue for me, as i could care less. I just understand the argument put forth and though i could do a better job articulating it since it's not emotional for me, but apparently i suck too :(

So they only make one color of each minivan? It's exactly the argument. That's like saying the Amp, Amp Cell, and Bio Cell all being released at the same time.

Do you think a company that has millions of dollars in research and development to create products should sit around and not release something until a specific time has elapsed just so a few on the internet are not upset that they dont have the latest and greatest and their resale goes down a few bucks? And who determines that time? I mean this genuinely. When is it okay to release a product and not have them "be the bad guys"? Is it once a year? Is it every 2 years?

Given the nature of the golf business, it's downright foolish not to release technology as soon as it can be brought to market effectively. If someone else is working on a similar technology and gets it to market, or a pending patent on it, before you do, millions of dollars are wasted.

That being said, I'd like to think that, if there is a growing gap between a company's top tier products (Cobra's Cell line, TM's SLDR series, Cleveland Custom line) and their GI line (Baffler, Jetspeed/RBZ, Altitude), if I were to buy a company's GI line the day it came out, it would still be their GI line a year from that day. I don't have any rationale behind it. A year just seems like a suitable amount of time. If I got new clubs for Christmas, the idea of getting more new clubs next Christmas appeals to me.

I really have to laugh at the people who get angry at the companies who put out new products all of the time. They act as if they know more about the industry than those who work for these companies. There's a reason why they work where they do and you work where you do.

Less releases = less revenue = less $ for R&D = less technology. Club technology wouldn't be where it is it today without more options to produce more revenue, to support more R&D, to develop more technology.

It's the circle of life :D

This New Big Bertha sounds very intresting. especially the manipulation of the CG which will go one of to way revolutinary driver like the OG BB or a Epic Fail. Think of the was to Manipulate the CG I can come up with two real ideas one would be some sort of a device in the head or the ablity to open the head. it will be very intresing to see what callaway come up with

I would personally want it right away. You can tell from my equipment I don't resell my gear and will hold onto items that work. I would say it's impossible to judge release timing. You cannot make everyone happy and I think a company needs to stay as competitive as possible. If reducing the release cycle increases sales, then they should continue the course. Only time will tell if it's a stable model. I personally feel like they may run out of ideas and oversaturate the market with equipment in a couple years, but that's just one guys opinion.

How does this effect retailers? Aside from the big box stores, smaller shops may have a hard time moving product before the next release. Thus they're stuck with old inventory.

Golf clubs are very similar to cosmetics IMO. Will a new driver, putter, iron set etc make you a better golfer?.......maybe.......will they make you feel better about yourself as a golfer?...........maybe.

Will new cosmetics make you more beautiful?.......maybe............will they make you feel better about yourself as a person?.........maybe.

What is certain is that manufacturers are very very good at marketing the products that they sell, this is the key to their survival.

If a golf company could release a new driver every payday and successfully remove $$$ from your pocket they most certainly would.

Christmas is coming, and spring will follow soon....is it time to buy a new driver?.............maybe.

Never understood the anxiety that comes from companies releasing a ton of gear throughout the year. How is that bad?

I don't think it is resale value. I think many, probably most people can't afford to buy a new, expensive driver often and don't want to spend $400 on one that will be obsoleted in a few months. I think the anxiety comes from the desire to get it right once because they can't do it again so soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't think it is resale value. I think many, probably most people can't afford to buy a new, expensive driver often and don't want to spend $400 on one that will be obsoleted in a few months. I think the anxiety comes from the desire to get it right once because they can't do it again so soon.

How does a driver become obsolete? If one bought it, they obviously liked it, why would another release make them like it less? Does your TV become obsolete because of the next release? Your car? Your golf shoes? All items that when a new release comes, it is marketed as the best ever.

More club option is not a bad idea. Thinking otherwise is shortsighted IMO

How does a driver become obsolete? If one bought it, they obviously liked it, why would another release make them like it less? Does your TV become obsolete because of the next release? Your car? Your golf shoes? All items that when a new release comes, it is marketed as the best ever.

Tour professional golfers never win with less than current equipment :bulgy-eyes:

I think part of it also paying the full retail price and then seeing it discounted heavily a few months later. If that is going to be a problem for someone then the solution then is to obviously wait for the inevitable price drop or pick one up used.

Back