That's a green light distance in my book. From 160 and based on the pictures you provided, I'm hitting the smooth 8 iron and at worse I'm 2 putting for birdie. The picture from the green back to the fairway made it look like the trees weren't really in play provided you don't hit a low trajectory shot.

Yes, if I can hit anything under my 2 hybrid into a green on a par 5, then it's a green light for me. From your angle, with the water, I just want a good high trajectory and my 3 hybrid or less is going to offer that. In this situation, it's an easy 8 iron all day long...maybe even a 9. DONE...I love easy birdies.

160 yards? I go for it every time unless I am in some sort of tournament. Even then, I probably go for it 100% of the time unless I am protecting some big lead.

8i into the green for a second shot, all day everyday! I can hoist my 8i into space as it is...

As I also do not get to go for par 5s in two very often, I would definitely go for it.

Hmm I guess I just chickened out. Maybe because I have played this hole several times and can usually count on it to be a good one for me. The last time I played it I birdied it by going around and that may have played into my thinking. This is a shot I would probably only make 2 out of 3 times, and I took a second shot to see what might have been and from the rough I didn't quite catch it cleanly and it was just short into the water. That makes me think I made the right decision to go around.

This brings up another question based on a couple of the responses, but when/how did you decide to move back and play from a further tee. I play whites/blues about 50/50 and I shoot around 90 either way. I usually let who I play with decide. The par fives on this course measure 491, 453, 501, 505 from white and 522, 479, 510 , 515 from blues. I have the distance to go after all of those in 2, but distance isn't my problem, accuracy is. Most of the holes here are pretty narrow and while I can get there in 2 I usually am playing from behind a tree at some point. Moving back to the blacks would make it harder to get there in 2 but it would make other holes worse. For example a par 3 from 205 is now from 240, I couldn't reach it with an iron unless I really killed it. I've come a long way this year, but shouldn't I wait and improve more before I move back?

You're being a little hard on yourself. The situation dictates behavior too.

- just playing for GHIN, play it safe and go for par, or bird with a good pitch

- trailing in a competition, opportunity to close ground...go for it.

- leading a competition, play percentages and play it safe, hoping for a chance at bird.

- playing for fun, go for it.

I'd go at it from the right with a fade.

You can't see it from the picture, but on the back side of the green is about 5 feet of sand trap, then the cart path and then the fence out of bounds. If you go over here you have very little room for error.

No complaints from me about the distance gains from the altitude. I'm sure I am in for a very rude awakening next time I play at sea level.

ya, i live in the altitude and can kill it. when i play at sea level i am 2 full clubs shorter. maybe a bit more than 2 actually. i notice more so on my irons than my drives but it is so tricky to get used to that...

Dude GolfFest, what course is that? Used to live in Utah, so I'm curious.

And btw yeah, at 160, especially at altitude, I'm going for it all day long.

I go for it...but feel bad about it. From 50 yds up it's kinda like slipping something in the hole's drink to take advantage of it.

That is the 16th hole at Fox Hollow in American Fork.

Hi, stick a 9 iron and 1 putt for eagle.

From 160 yards, I'd go for it 99 times out of 100. The only way I wouldn't would be if the tree in front was massive. The one in the picture looks smaller.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back