X-Out/Practice Balls - Any Performance Difference?

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/team-titleist/f/32/t/2993.aspx

Mike D., Team Titleist Manager post: 22 Nov 2010 1:12 PM

Hi guys,

Here is a little more detail on the differences between practice balls and x-outs.

Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.

Pro V1 X-Out golf balls are also conforming products. However, they usually have a cosmetic blemish and/or occasionally have a minor physical defect that should not significantly affect its performance. More often than not, the physical condition causing the ball to be stamped as an X-Out is so minute that it is not recognizable by the player.

Both products may be used in the casual round of golf including those with scores posted for handicaps, and most competitions, with the possible exception of high level competitions invoking the Local Rule requiring balls to be on the List of Conforming Golf Balls.

As for whether or not you can use these golf balls during a round of golf, you can refer to the USGA Official Rules on the subject listed below for your reference:

Q: May I use a ball stamped with "Practice" or "X-Out" to play a round of golf?

A: Our present policy provides that if the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect, a practice or logo ball may be used provided the other markings on the ball (i.e., pole and seam) correspond exactly to a ball listing on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls. Balls labeled with ''PRACTICE'' or a circled ''P'', are essentially treated as a logo ball (such as a Mickey Mouse emblem). A player's name stamped on the ball is also acceptable. However, the original ball markings (i.e., pole and seam markings) must be readable in order for a Rules Official to determine whether that ball is on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. X-Out balls are not permitted to be used in any competition in which the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect. However, if neither of these Conditions are in effect, X-Out balls may be used because all balls are presumed to conform unless they have been tested and found not to conform or are obviously non-conforming (e.g., too small or too heavy). (See Decisions 5-1/4 and US/5-1/101).

As a result of the potential for an X-Out to be non-conforming if tested, we do not recommend using this model during tournament play.

Hi guys,

Here is a little more detail on the differences between practice balls and x-outs.

Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.

Pro V1 X-Out golf balls are also conforming products. However, they usually have a cosmetic blemish and/or occasionally have a minor physical defect that should not significantly affect its performance. More often than not, the physical condition causing the ball to be stamped as an X-Out is so minute that it is not recognizable by the player.

Both products may be used in the casual round of golf including those with scores posted for handicaps, and most competitions, with the possible exception of high level competitions invoking the Local Rule requiring balls to be on the List of Conforming Golf Balls.

As for whether or not you can use these golf balls during a round of golf, you can refer to the USGA Official Rules on the subject listed below for your reference:

A: Our present policy provides that if the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect, a practice or logo ball may be used provided the other markings on the ball (i.e., pole and seam) correspond exactly to a ball listing on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls. Balls labeled with ''PRACTICE'' or a circled ''P'', are essentially treated as a logo ball (such as a Mickey Mouse emblem). A player's name stamped on the ball is also acceptable. However, the original ball markings (i.e., pole and seam markings) must be readable in order for a Rules Official to determine whether that ball is on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. X-Out balls are not permitted to be used in any competition in which the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect. However, if neither of these Conditions are in effect, X-Out balls may be used because all balls are presumed to conform unless they have been tested and found not to conform or are obviously non-conforming (e.g., too small or too heavy). (See Decisions 5-1/4 and US/5-1/101).

As a result of the potential for an X-Out to be non-conforming if tested, we do not recommend using this model during tournament play.

There ya go. Perfect answer(s).

Hi guys,

Thank you! I think I found my new ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So they are the same just did not make it through final QC so Rather than destroy them the stamp them practice and sell them

Having used these in the past, I can unequivocally say they perform equally well compared to the full retail ball. The most common noticeable defect was the word "Titleist" not being stamped exactly straight in relation to the dimple pattern.

So they are the same just did not make it through final QC so Rather than destroy them the stamp them practice and sell them

Yup. Bear in mind that golf balls are made by lots, and since not every ball is inspected, a certain number of errors in so many and they get rid of the whole lot. I suppose if the lot fails at some structural point they become X-Outs, and if enough fail at some cosmetic point they become Practice balls.

I learned something watching the TaylorMade episode of Undercover Boss, after all.

After looking really closely at them all I can see is small little marks inside some of the dimples. Should play just fine though. Not sure if you can see in the picture. Took it with an iPhone.
m
sa6u3equ.jpg

Yup. Bear in mind that golf balls are made by lots, and since not every ball is inspected, a certain number of errors in so many and they get rid of the whole lot. I suppose if the lot fails at some structural point they become X-Outs, and if enough fail at some cosmetic point they become Practice balls.

I learned something watching the TaylorMade episode of Undercover Boss, after all.

Ha just watched that on Netflix a few weeks ago. Didn't even think about that.

I played these one year. Worked great. My only mistake, one tournament, was asking the pro if I could use them in the tournament. He said, "No". So, for future tourneys, I changed my marks so that a black sharpie made a big line over the word "practice".

I played these one year. Worked great. My only mistake, one tournament, was asking the pro if I could use them in the tournament. He said, "No". So, for future tourneys, I changed my marks so that a black sharpie made a big line over the word "practice".

Cheater! Haha!

Same ball for the most part. Often a paint blemish or something else unnoticeable to the eye or to performance

TTing

This ^^^^^^^

Hi guys,

I have always wondered what the difference is between x-outs and regular balls. Thanks for the clarification.

I've asked multiple golf stores about the practice balls and got the same answer where usually there's a small blemish or something and that's it

not to dig up an old thread but after playing with some Titleist Pro V1's I found on the course, I picked up a dozen titleist pro v1 practice balls today from golf galaxy.

As far as I know they are not different performance wise than regular balls and are legal for tournament play 99% of the time (usually just the bigger/higher level torunaments) But for my casual rounds or for posting scores for HCI, they should be perfectly fine. At $18 cheaper than regular Pro V1's they fit my budget just fine!

Back