Need advice on some shafts.

Cjgolf25

Reaction score
Handicap
Okay so here is the deal. About 2-3 months ago I was looking at upgrading my wedge shafts. Right now I have the stock CFS x-stiff shaft in there. I was fitted for my irons and wedges long before this but they had only fit me with CFS shafts. I never tried any other shafts. Didn't really occur to me how vital this was. I guess you can say I was so excited for the iron fitting that I lost sight of the fact I should really pay attention to the choice of shafts. Anyways I made a purchase for some Tour Issue s400 shafts without a proper fitting. I was looking to get a little more spin out of wedges, and now I'm seeing that I jumped the gun with these. When I got them I was very excited. They have sat in the box they came in in touched mainly because by the time I was ready to put them in CT was getting to a point where I couldn't play anymore because of the weather. So I put it off. Now that I have time to think and do research I feel that maybe I might have made a mistake in purchasing these things. Is it just me or should I just give them a try? From what a read online it seems they produce a low spin which in hindsight would be counter productive of what I was trying to achieve. I think I know the answer to this but I just want some reassurance on this. Advice please.

Okay so here is the deal. About 2-3 months ago I was looking at upgrading my wedge shafts. Right now I have the stock CFS x-stiff shaft in there. I was fitted for my irons and wedges long before this but they had only fit me with CFS shafts. I never tried any other shafts. Didn't really occur to me how vital this was. I guess you can say I was so excited for the iron fitting that I lost sight of the fact I should really pay attention to the choice of shafts. Anyways I made a purchase for some Tour Issue s400 shafts without a proper fitting. I was looking to get a little more spin out of wedges, and now I'm seeing that I jumped the gun with these. When I got them I was very excited. They have sat in the box they came in in touched mainly because by the time I was ready to put them in CT was getting to a point where I couldn't play anymore because of the weather. So I put it off. Now that I have time to think and do research I feel that maybe I might have made a mistake in purchasing these things. Is it just me or should I just give them a try? From what a read online it seems they produce a low spin which in hindsight would be counter productive of what I was trying to achieve. I think I know the answer to this but I just want some reassurance on this. Advice please.

Tough to give you advice. Ping says the CFS X plays pretty comparably to the X100, meaning your S400 are a notch softer and thus might spin a bit more but I would not expect to see much more. You might want to visit a shop and try something with a Spinner shaft it and see if you like the feel. Given what you are playing now, that shaft would likely give enough additional spin to be noticeable.

I don't think you'll see a whole lot of difference in spin just by changing shafts in your wedges. It may be a tiny amount if measured, but in the real world, don't think it will be noticeable.

Spin from a wedge comes down more to technique than shaft or even grooves.

Both are valid points. I know the CFS shafts have gotten pretty good reviews among the forum. Golf Ghost, that makes sense, I'm going to work on that and see what results I get.

I don't think you'll see a whole lot of difference in spin just by changing shafts in your wedges. It may be a tiny amount if measured, but in the real world, don't think it will be noticeable.

Spin from a wedge comes down more to technique than shaft or even grooves.

I agree that spin is very much technique, but I added 600 or so RPM to my most lofted wedges when I was gaming new grooved wedges in 2013 by switching to TT DG Spinner shafts. Worth looking into. Not high dollar and easy to switch out.

Back