Has anyone had multifocal intraocular implants?

topspark

Reaction score
Handicap
me
just wondering if anyone has had multifocal intraocular implants and if so, what their honest thoughts are on the results, for life in general and golf.

If some one has them they will know.
What they are, is sort of like a contact lens that gets permanently implanted in the eye.

My father had this surgery but he still has to wear glasses most of the time. He said that his vision has imporved overall but things that he would be able to see without glasses he has to put them on and things he would need glasses for he doesn't. The greatest benefit is that your glasses prescription goes down quite a bit (not as strong). He went from bifocals to just regular lenses.

Next time I speak with him I will ask him specifically what he likes and dislikes about the surgery. It's very expensive I remember him griping about that, but with Medicare and his secondary LAPD health insurance he didn't have to pay much out of pocket.

Topspark, one of my coworkers had that done... or it was corneal implants or something. I know that the lens of his eye was replaced with a fixed focal lens. He said the biggest thing that he doesn't like about it and had wished he had known was that it was a fixed focal length and that being able to see up close is difficult... like sitting at a computer screen. He still has glasses he wears (like reading glasses I think). He had his surgery done for cataracts I believe.

I know I was surprised a few years back when the eye doc I go to said I've got a small cataract in my right eye. Not looking forward to having to deal with that later in life (hopefully I never will) but then again, if I deal with it, I'll get a new lens on my old eyeball and hopefully be able to see without glasses (and I've been wearing them for years now...)

Hope that helps but it probably doesn't. Sorry I can't help more.

I'm an eye doctor, shoot me a PM topspark and I will give you my opinion.

I believe he is talking about once the cloudy natural lens (cataract) is removed from the eye you have option on what lens implant they replace it with. There are a couple different types of multifocal implants available.

Google ReStor, ReZoom, or Crystalens

My father had this surgery but he still has to wear glasses most of the time. He said that his vision has imporved overall but things that he would be able to see without glasses he has to put them on and things he would need glasses for he doesn't. The greatest benefit is that your glasses prescription goes down quite a bit (not as strong). He went from bifocals to just regular lenses.

Next time I speak with him I will ask him specifically what he likes and dislikes about the surgery. It's very expensive I remember him griping about that, but with Medicare and his secondary LAPD health insurance he didn't have to pay much out of pocket.
Thanks I would be curious how his side vision is as well.

Topspark, one of my coworkers had that done... or it was corneal implants or something. I know that the lens of his eye was replaced with a fixed focal lens. He said the biggest thing that he doesn't like about it and had wished he had known was that it was a fixed focal length and that being able to see up close is difficult... like sitting at a computer screen. He still has glasses he wears (like reading glasses I think). He had his surgery done for cataracts I believe.

I know I was surprised a few years back when the eye doc I go to said I've got a small cataract in my right eye. Not looking forward to having to deal with that later in life (hopefully I never will) but then again, if I deal with it, I'll get a new lens on my old eyeball and hopefully be able to see without glasses (and I've been wearing them for years now...)

Hope that helps but it probably doesn't. Sorry I can't help more.
Very similar situation regarding the cataracts, and most forums on this come with negative feedback.

A couple of years ago I had cataracts so bad it was hard to drive. I had the laser cataract surgery done, not lasik eye surgery. When they replaced my lenses I had my left eye set for reading and the right set for distance, as I had done this with contacts and it worked well. It was a very easy process and all went well, did the eyes two weeks apart, the cost was in the 5k range but would have been much cheaper not using the laser. The lenses they put in were single focus, but it has worked great.

Being an old fart, I have cataracts in both eyes, and have been contemplating the iol surgery. Appreciate the comments posted here, and just wanted to add, I never realized, until recently, what an effect this had on my golf game. the biggest problem is that you lose alot of the feedback you would get from seeing your shots land. When you have that feedback, you continually make small adjustments in your swing making your shots more and more accurate. When you lose the ability to fully follow your shots your game slowly deteriorates.

Back