Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

I couldn't wait to get home and tell you all about my Callaway experience today. It actually transcended just hitting the Apex irons. More on that later....
I did get to hit both the Apex and the Apex Pros. I rarely get gung-ho crazy about new equipment coming out, but OMG are these irons amazing! I hit the every club, 3-PW in a launch monitor and was in shock! As we read about in the preview, Callaway has placed a tungsten weight in the sole of the 3-5 irons. There's no gimmick behind it, and no outrageous claims that the beer cart girl is actually going to go home with you after her shift. But you definitely notice the difference.

The demo:
The rep set me up in the launch monitor and before I hit anything I warmed up with my 6i for about 15 minutes. I then started hitting baseline shots with my MP59/69 Combo set with PXi shafts.

I saw drastic improvements in all of my numbers. These were an average of 11 yards farther than my current set and felt AMAZING!

Here's what I saw just at address (for all of the clubs)
:
A beautiful looking iron with a wonderful top line. Not too thick, but thin enough to let you know that you need to be able to hit a golf ball to get results. You notice the grooves right away. There are less of them compared to any club I've hit or played in the last year. The transition from shaft to hosel looks very nice. There is some offset, but it's negligible. The club feels perfectly weighted. I was hitting it with the KBS Tour V and had no issues in terms of feel. On the downswing you can feel exactly where the head is, which made impact a thing of beauty.

Impact
Keep in mind, I'm a Mizuno guy and there is nothing in the world of golf that feels better than puring a Mizuno forged iron. That was until today. I ran out of superlatives while hitting to describe how great these irons felt. I think the best way to describe it would be that it was like hitting a warm donut hole. It was like the ball literally melted into the face and was part of the club. But did the ball ever jump off the face. It was almost like the ball slapped the club's mother in the face and was running away. The launch was perfect (avg 17*) and at no point did the ball get up to the point where I thought it would it would have ballooned out. I found them much easier to work than my current set. My natural shot is a mid-draw and there was no problem with these. As a matter of fact, it became more of a high draw. But fades, cuts, hooded shot were all very easy. They were forgiving, but not to the point where you couldn't feel that you missed the ball. I could feel toe hits, shots low on the face, inside and high on the face just as well as I could with my Mizunos. Very solid sound coming off the face.

After the shot
After recovering from the rapture I felt after hitting the ball I had nothing to do but watch the ball flight and wait for the numbers. As I stated above, the launch was a perfect 17* degrees with a decent angle of 43*. Carry distance was 211 max and 187 on the low side (misses). Even shots hit low on the face weren't punished too badly. Toe shots were probably the most punishing with a whopping 8 yards lost and a gentle push to the right (@ 10 yards). Shot dispersion was so tight. Sure, when I hit the occasional hosel rocket it didn't turn out pretty. But everything I was hitting landed in a 15 yard area. If you compare to the numbers I posted below for my MP59 6i and the Apex Pro 6i you'll notice that the Apex wins in every category.

Pros
Looks
Feel
Increased distance
Launch
Spin
14 different stock shaft offerings.

Cons
It sounds like this set is going to be a little pricey. Think Ping S55 and you get the idea. Not as high, but more than the X-Forged last year.

MP59 6i:
Ball Speed: 117mph
Launch Angle: 16*
Azimuth: 2.2* (right of target)
Max Height: 38yds
Decent Angle: 37*
Backspin: 3200rpm
Sidespin: -400
Carry: 182yds
Total Distance: 194

Apex 6i:
Ball Speed: 121.2 mph
Launch Angle: 17.4*
Azimuth: 1.2* (right of target)
Max Height: 44
Decent Angle: 43*
Backspin: 4200rpm
Sidespin: -415
Carry: 199yds
Total Distance: 211

Callaway, you've outdone yourselves this year. The Big Bertha looks and feels INCREDIBLE! My SLDR is on notice. I think everyone is going to be VERY VERY surprised when more info comes out about it. I am definitely going to be gaming these this year and will probably change my driver. Honestly, I don't see how TaylorMade comes close to topping anything Callaway has come out with. Their new TP line needs to be some sort of spectacular or at least pay for my first 10 rounds.

Demos arrive next week and I know where I'm spending my free time :banana:

Nice writeup and those are some impressive numbers. That is a big increase in carry distance. I don't think you would be sacrificing anything in feel by going from Mizunos to the Apex Pros.

From what I saw yesterday on the course, Callaway has done a great job of marrying a distance with great feel. These are every bit as long as my Ping i20s. One thing I struggle with the Pings is being able to flight them and losing the ball left when I am trying to a 3/4 type shot. I so no issue with that yesterday with the Pros. Several occasions I was in between clubs and was able to take something off of it while still being able to keep the ball on target.

uzajyguh.jpg

Getting for morning work out! These look too good to hit! But I must do work.
yja5aqe5.jpg

Those irons look so awesome.

I hope they perform well FK. Can't wait to hear the results.

I'm getting ready to jump the gun with Apex or Apex Pro - unsure which - maybe you all can all help me?

I'm 48 years old, and have been suffering from shoulder and elbow pain over the years. I'm a 5.1 handicap, was down to a 3.8 a couple years ago. I currently game Titleist 712 AP2, with normal KBS C-Tapesrs, R+ flex, played blades previously for many years. My main reason for changing is looking for a gain in distance, and changing over to graphite with lighter shafts than what I am currently playing. My current 6 iron SS is about 86 mph on average, and Driver SS is roughly 96 mph - I usually carry my 6 iron 155 yards (pathetic)... My tempo is generally quite slow, and I play in Northern France (expat american) where it is often cold, so thinking regular or stiff graphite.

I'm concerned with cosmetics on the regular Apex irons, thinking they might be a wee bit chunky. Are they more chunky than Titleist AP2s, or similar? I am quite sure I wouldn't have an issue with either the Apex or Apex Pros, but if the normal are longer, easier and not too disturbing visually..... Why not? If the Apex Pros are just as long, I'll probably get them. Also, have any of you tried the Recoils on any of these? I've read good things..... And if so, o they play true, soft or strong to flex???

Thanks!

Phil

Welcome to THP!

I think someone got the regular Apex with the Recoils, maybe WarEagle??? You might want to take a look at that thread for that.

I'm getting ready to jump the gun with Apex or Apex Pro - unsure which - maybe you all can all help me?

I'm 48 years old, and have been suffering from shoulder and elbow pain over the years. I'm a 5.1 handicap, was down to a 3.8 a couple years ago. I currently game Titleist 712 AP2, with normal KBS C-Tapesrs, R+ flex, played blades previously for many years. My main reason for changing is looking for a gain in distance, and changing over to graphite with lighter shafts than what I am currently playing. My current 6 iron SS is about 86 mph on average, and Driver SS is roughly 96 mph - I usually carry my 6 iron 155 yards (pathetic)... My tempo is generally quite slow, and I play in Northern France (expat american) where it is often cold, so thinking regular or stiff graphite.

I'm concerned with cosmetics on the regular Apex irons, thinking they might be a wee bit chunky. Are they more chunky than Titleist AP2s, or similar? I am quite sure I wouldn't have an issue with either the Apex or Apex Pros, but if the normal are longer, easier and not too disturbing visually..... Why not? If the Apex Pros are just as long, I'll probably get them. Also, have any of you tried the Recoils on any of these? I've read good things..... And if so, o they play true, soft or strong to flex???

Thanks!

Phil

Phil, judging by your index, I imagine you're s pretty consistent ball striker. I'm not and when we were fitted Matt basically told me to take my pick. If you're looking for distance, I'd suggest the regular Apexes. They definitely get some more air and distance under the ball, where in finding the pros to be about the same as my DPCs. I've got a combo set, so the Pros were strengthened a little to close the gap, but the regular Apexes just fire the ball of the face.

Hope this can give you a little idea of what I'm kind of seeing out off each in my still relatively short relationship with them. I imagine they'll be in my bag for a while.

Thanks!

Phil

As far as clunkiness goes, the regular Apex are a little bit thinner on the sole than the Ping i20s. I felt like the regular are a little easier to hit, with more forgivenss. But at a 5 handicap (my handicap is in your range), you could probably game either one. Or you could be like me and go with a combo set.

uzajyguh.jpg

Getting for morning work out! These look too good to hit! But I must do work.
yja5aqe5.jpg

Stunning in that bag Freddie. I really like the looks of those.

Apex Pro 9i

Edit:
Looks like there's some sort of glitch with the video at the end. Contrary to what it shows, there was no dark blue orb that appeared in place of the ball after it was hit.

That was the coolest golf shot ever! You managed to hit the ball so hard that you punched a hole in the space-time continuum. I'm sure there's someone in an alternate universe wondering what the heck just hit them in the face. :laughing:

Nice writeup and those are some impressive numbers. That is a big increase in carry distance. I don't think you would be sacrificing anything in feel by going from Mizunos to the Apex Pros.

From what I saw yesterday on the course, Callaway has done a great job of marrying a distance with great feel. These are every bit as long as my Ping i20s. One thing I struggle with the Pings is being able to flight them and losing the ball left when I am trying to a 3/4 type shot. I so no issue with that yesterday with the Pros. Several occasions I was in between clubs and was able to take something off of it while still being able to keep the ball on target.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I am honestly in love with these clubs. And that never happens. One of my playing partners has the i20s and suffers the same problem. I don't know if it's the offset or what. But that club does not like 3/4 shots at all. And you are 100% right with their shot making ability. I've never had control combined with distance like that.

I need to change my signature now....since I'll probably be playing the Big Bertha, some Callaway 3w and Callaway irons. Scotty and the Scratches are safe.

Looking good fellas! These Pro's caught my eyes from the start, hope to get a chance to hit them some time soon.

I would REALLY be interested to see if someone can get some compairison pictures from the Apex Pro and the Razr X Muscleback iron. I've been playing the X-Prototypes for years now and love them. I really want to get on board with Callaway's newer tech but I get nervous looking at the newer lines because they just look so big to my eye, especially at set up. If one of you guys could get a side by side picture or two or three that would be amazing!

Glad to see this thread blow up like it is. Hope to give some thoughts soon

You guys are killing it

That was the coolest golf shot ever! You managed to hit the ball so hard that you punched a hole in the space-time continuum. I'm sure there's someone in an alternate universe wondering what the heck just hit them in the face. :laughing:

I think I like your explanation better.

I would REALLY be interested to see if someone can get some compairison pictures from the Apex Pro and the Razr X Muscleback iron. I've been playing the X-Prototypes for years now and love them. I really want to get on board with Callaway's newer tech but I get nervous looking at the newer lines because they just look so big to my eye, especially at set up. If one of you guys could get a side by side picture or two or three that would be amazing!

I might be able to that for you in a couple of weeks time. Have a set of x-prototypes sitting at home and I should be able to get some pictures up if no one has already.

Thanks!

Phil
The regular Apex irons are not chunky at all. Just a tad thicker than the AP2. But if you're looking at the club without comparing it to anything else, you wouldn't be able to tell that it's a thicker top line. The store manager and I were hitting the regular Apex that the rep left for us to hit. Both of us play thin top lined irons and we couldn't get over how sexy the Apex looked for a GI iron. There's a little bit more offset, but it's not nearly as much as the X Hot Pros from last season. He and I were both contemplating just going with the Apex irons because it looks just as good as a players iron. We both agreed that we wouldn't have any problems gaming the regular Apex irons next year. You really can't go wrong with either The Apex offer a bit more forgiveness, but if you're a 5 you don't need to worry too much about that.

I've never really been a "Callaway" guy, but I am now. January can't come soon enough. I feel like a kid again! I'm saving up my Christmas and birthday money for a new set of golf clubs. lol!

Finally got a chance to get some great pictures of the clubs. Posting the photos and them headed to the course for some review time. The rest of this day will be dedicated to the Apex Pros.

e6e8e4u2.jpg

ryvygu9a.jpg

tanu9emy.jpg

rugysanu.jpg

buhe3e7e.jpg

uqe9esus.jpg

udegepa5.jpg

agehazyj.jpg

Now to compare to the S56s.

y8atate2.jpg

yze2uvu6.jpg

e8uqyquv.jpg

udaqyquq.jpg

usasy4as.jpg

Now off to the course.

^^^^Just Tapped That

Glad to see everybody is liking these so much. These will be some of the first things i try out when i get my cast off..

11/22/2013
Northshore Driving Range
Over cast with slight downwind breeze
Apex Pro testing (day 1)

On a warm weekend in Central Florida, 16 guys, THP director of awesome and Zoocrew front man, Matty Hainline converged on Mission Inn for Callaway Ultimate club testing. This was our first look at the new Apex and Apex Pro irons to be released later in 2013. Fast forward to 7pm 11/20/2013 as I am helping my son with his homework and dragging my bottom lip on the floor because I had no package waiting for me when I arrived at home. I see the UPS guy, I jump from kindergarten math to my feet, out the front door with the wife screaming "what's wrong?"

I yell back, 'my irons are here' and she replies...'good grief, more golf stuff!!!' (she secretely loves golf, NOT)

Fast forward to this morning and me on the range with this beautiful set of Apex Pros paired KBS V2 110gram Stiff shafts. I had a large bucket of 120 balls, my Blue tooth headset and a workout in front of me. To say I was excited, would be an understatement. After some mild Richard Simmons type stretches I pulled the PW in the set, rolled a ball into position and took my first swing. Clipped in clean off the turf on a high 2 yard draw (total guess to give you a picture). I pulled another ball into place and hit the same shot but this stayed straight no draw. I repeated this motion of another 10 balls until I was good and warm. I then pulled my Xforged PW to do some side by side comparison.

The Xforged is heavier and more familiar so its not a fair fight in my book. I can swing these with my eyes closed. I took some cuts, saw the familiar arch with a slight draw headed at the same spot I had been hitting my Apex Pros. It had a heavier hit but the ball on both irons seemed to melt into the club face. The Apex Pro did seem to stop on a dime or back up a bit in the wet turf. This may have been due to the newness of the grooves.

Now my misses with the forged has always been a pull. My misses today with the Apex Pros was a slight push. Granted I was out in front on these shots but it was odd to see. I usually am able to save it at the bottom but not these. The Apex Pros are lighter than my Xforged (S400 TT shafts) and I found that I was out infront on a few swings. But each time I was greeted with a push and minimal distance loss. Staying behind any golf shot is the way to go and the lighter weight is going to take some getting used to, but I think I am up for the task.

As my session continued I started to get a little out of sort with the swing and needed to get back into a groove. During this time I hit number of less than solid shots that fell short of my intended target but surprsingly the feeling I felt in my hands from ball to face wasn't harsh, actually kind of soft feel. I remember looking at my divot and thinking did I hit that fat or was that a dead ball. I knew in the back of my mind it was a bit heavy and I paid the price but the club to truf interaction doesn't feel like a normal fat shot. The club still ripped through the turf as every other swing.

PW - 6 iron delivered a high ball. Not a balloon but a ball that explodes off the face, reaches its point and slowly arch back toward terra firma. The 4 and 5 irons delivered more of a mid ball but still had plenty of spin. I was expecting a high ball form the long irons but would have taken these shots to the course and been pleased. I know my swing was not where I wanted it but it was good enough to give me some good feedback.

The distance comparison between the Xforged and Apex Pros is minor but its there. Just as it was during testing at Mission Inn, the Apex Pro 6 iron easily cleared the 184 flag. To be honest my 7 irons was just landing short. I surmized that my 175-180 club will now be the Apex Pro 7 iron. This is with a stock swing and yellow range balls.

For my first go around with these I was pleased with the results. The look from the top, the way the club set on the ground, the turf interaction and the results. The Apex Pros as stock offer are sweet. I look forward to my first round and a great swing day.

Some great feedback sir. I was curious about the distance comparison. I'm loving this thread

Finally got a chance to get some great pictures of the clubs. Posting the photos and them headed to the course for some review time. The rest of this day will be dedicated to the Apex Pros.

e6e8e4u2.jpg

ryvygu9a.jpg

tanu9emy.jpg

rugysanu.jpg

buhe3e7e.jpg

uqe9esus.jpg

udegepa5.jpg

agehazyj.jpg

Now to compare to the S56s.

y8atate2.jpg

yze2uvu6.jpg

e8uqyquv.jpg

udaqyquq.jpg

usasy4as.jpg

Now off to the course.

^^^^Just Tapped That

Great pics. I really like the side-by-side with the S56. I have a set of S56 irons and will have to give these a look.

180 yard 7 iron is big time. Great feedback to start Freddie - I loved the X Forged on the few occasions I was able to hit it, so it sounds like these might be a decent fit for me. My big question will be whether the extra help of the Apex is worth the look and feel difference (not that they're not pretty, just a little bigger is all).

180 yard 7 iron is big time. Great feedback to start Freddie - I loved the X Forged on the few occasions I was able to hit it, so it sounds like these might be a decent fit for me. My big question will be whether the extra help of the Apex is worth the look and feel difference (not that they're not pretty, just a little bigger is all).

I understand that you have to happy with what you are playing. But this thicker top line thing folks have is all mental. Every shot can be played with the Apex as the Pros. If you don't play everyday and aren't against good shots or good results on misses, I'd go Apex all day.

I was actually set on the Apex but Matty didn't like the ball flight and felt the pro produced a more beneficial ball for me. In the end you gotta do what's best for your game

Back