Using tee boxes to handicap a tourney

tanker337

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Let me preface by saying I've only ever played in a handful of 4man scrambles.

Also, kindly point me to any existing threads of this has been covered elsewhere.

I'm curious if tournaments ever use the tee boxes as the means to implement the handicap, rather than gross and net scores? If so, is there a name for this method?

We don't. But we flight most of our tournaments after the scores are turned in. Sometimes two flights, sometimes up to four flights.

i have not seen this done before. usually everyone plays same tees and flights are done by handicap range.

I played a shamble not too long ago where handicaps determined tees. While I'm happy to say that my team won, it felt funny that a guy like me, who hits the ball well off the tee, got to hit from very close tees, about 6300 yards, when getting off the tee is not a problem for my game. A decent drive off nearly every tee left me with a pitching wedge or shorter into the green, making among the worst parts of my game, iron accuracy, a much easier hurdle to overcome.

i have not seen this done before. usually everyone plays same tees and flights are done by handicap range.

Everyone does use the same tees (ladies usually play the forward tees, seniors sometimes are allowed to use the "senior" tees, it's all up to whoever is putting on the tournament). But once the scores come in, we split them into ranges for the flights. Handicapping scrambles is pretty much a waste in my opinion since no one is out there to verify scores anyway. Flighting is the best way to go in my mind. You can cheat to win the A flight, but all the flights after that are done by score ranges. And the last place in one flight has a better score the first place in the next flight. But you never know where the break is going to be.

Back