Long shot here... but has anyone ever lived aboard a boat/yacht/houseboat?

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm currently in full ponder mode about moving to a warmer climate, it has always been a dream to live aboard a boat.

In some light searching, I've found what appears to be a solid deal.

It is said, that on 45' a couple can live comfortably.
What I've found is 72'! Space, from what I can tell wouldn't be an issue. And this vessel would have the ability to create its own potable water.

Wondering if anyone can share an experience of living aboard.
I know marinas sell deeds to slips and portages, allowing to work on mainland, or at anchorage.

I know it's a long shot, but figured I'd give it a shot at seeing if anyone has.

Wait. I didn't text you back because I though you were joking. Your serious here??

CJ, I have several friends who have lived aboard a houseboat or yacht. Definitely not year round, but have enjoyed immensely.

Interested to hear what you have your mind pondering!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way no how would I ever consider doing this. After spending quite a bit of time on a 40 ft RV, and knowing space, and what is needed as well as problems that arrive, this is not an idea I would ever consider.

Wait. I didn't text you back because I though you were joking. Your serious here??

Yeah, it's something I've long considered. And for that Tug I showed you could make happen if I dissolved one of my retirement accounts. (I would still have an account that is doing quite well).

Today, my eyes were opened to something and maybe it's time for change.
Louann and I talked a bit, and if this is something that has a chance, I figure I might as well jump in 100%!

CJ, I have several friends who have lived aboard a houseboat or yacht. Definitely not year round, but have enjoyed immensely.

Interested to hear what you have your mind pondering!!!

This would include a move to a warmer climate.

"Every been a real shrimp boat?"

"No, but I've been a real big boat...."

This would include a move to a warmer climate.

Plus +!!!
Can I rent a paddle boat and dock it right next door?

Yeah, it's something I've long considered. And for that Tug I showed you could make happen if I dissolved one of my retirement accounts. (I would still have an account that is doing quite well).

Today, my eyes were opened to something and maybe it's time for change.
Louann and I talked a bit, and if this is something that has a chance, I figure I might as well jump in 100%!
We're talking cannon-balls here right?

Last edited:
My Dad did just that many years ago after his 2nd wife passed away. He sold his house in London, brought a 40 foot yacht in Nice in the South of France then crazily brought it back to the UK where he used it as a chartering business. He lived on that for 10 years or so before selling and moving back into a house. We use to spend a lot of time on it. A boat is cramped and generally there is nowhere to get away and have a bit of peace and quiet like there is in a house.

Even in warmer climes you'll still get rain and the sound of that beating down on the top of the boat is depressing, condensation builds up and that damp smell won't take long to surface. If you and your partner are the kind of people that like a little space every now and again a boat could be a disaster.

However if your both comfortable being very close, do not mind downsizing from a house, enjoy sitting out in the evening on deck with a couple of beers watching the sun set it could be ideal. If you have the funds available go for it as you'll probably just end up thinking what if in later years.

After his divorce, a coworker lived on his dad's 40ish foot sailboat. It was moored at a rented slip so he had all of the utilities. His only complaint was that "less desirable individuals" like to visit when your're not around.

I have heard that upkeep of a boat is constant and expensive. I would never ponder this seriously. Get a condo.

You know how sometimes on a weekend, you know there are chores around the house you need to do, but you are exhausted and just want to put them off? Living on a boat at least doubles the amount of chores. It's like having a house that you have to scrub on the outside, including every nook and cranny every couple weeks.

I would do it for a year or two at retirement, but not until then. Like Erky said it's alot of work, and isn't always the most convenient. But I could definitely see it being a blast.

I've spent a few days at a time on a friend's sailboat, and it was very much like camping for me... Something I enjoy doing in periodic doses. Having said that, if you and your wife are going to do your research and know, mostly, what you are getting into, I can definitely understand the thinking. If both of you are on the same page with this dream, it might stink to have that regret later in life.

I'm currently in full ponder mode about moving to a warmer climate, it has always been a dream to live aboard a boat.

In some light searching, I've found what appears to be a solid deal.

It is said, that on 45' a couple can live comfortably.
What I've found is 72'! Space, from what I can tell wouldn't be an issue. And this vessel would have the ability to create its own potable water.

Wondering if anyone can share an experience of living aboard.
I know marinas sell deeds to slips and portages, allowing to work on mainland, or at anchorage.

I know it's a long shot, but figured I'd give it a shot at seeing if anyone has.

Oh God don't do it. When I lived in Southern New Jersey we renovated our home down to the studs and my wife and then 2 young daughters lived on our boat, a 58' Sea Ray Sundancer. The boat seemed huge on weekend family time but living on it uninterrupted for 4 months was pure hell. You have no where to go, no where to escape to, you better love the one you're with because you will be with them all the time.

One of the guys I sailed with retired and bought a home in Florida and spent their summers living in Chicago at Burnham Harbor on their sailboat. They had everything they needed at the club, and a great city at their feet. They enjoyed it, but they have spent a lot of their lives around sailboats.

The change in lifestyle could be a huge shock.

What kind of a boat are you considering?

I work on ships, and started on smaller boats. I know people that have lived aboard both part time and full time. It it's a lot of upkeep. If you are looking at salt water and a steel vessel your going to do a good bit of painting. If you are handy you can do a lot of maintenance yourself. I have a captains license and know a lot of people in the industry of you have questions. I would recommend getting the vessel surveyed at a minimum.

I have friends that had a yacht and spent a ton of time on it. My takeaway is that it sounds much better than the reality. Remember a whole bunch of basics that come with a house - garages; full size closets, bathrooms and kitchens; laundry areas; storage space, etc. A big boat is big when you are on it for a weekend; it is small when you live on it permanently.

Another dear friend lived on a house boat. Nearly all of the stuff about lack of space and normal conveniences is still there, but at a much more reasonable level. This is doable.

Buy a condo, easier to maintain, more convenient and more room. Just my 2cents.

I love sailing, I wouldn't want to try crewing a 72' boat with only two people though. On the upside you can sail around the world on less than $5k a year and get to see the best this world has to offer. On the downside you have to try and sail around Somalian pirates. I guess your post doesn't really say you'd be on the move but it's something I've looked into pretty extensively.

What's that saying... something like, the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it.

Back