Bridgestone J815 Driver - THP Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review is the new 815 Driver from Bridgestone, and quite frankly it is the surprise release of the new 2015 line from them, literally. Up until the Bridgestone University event held by THP in conjunction with Bridgestone all focus in the metalwoods that were to be released was on the 715, the VERY little that came out about the 815 wrote it off as a Japan only model...wrong. This year it is clear that Bridgestone is making a total effort to cover the gamut of golfer skill levels and the 815 shows that very clearly as it is a low and rearward CG driver which focuses more on launch launch and forgiveness. Add in some unique tech and principles like the Power Rib Sole, F.A.S.T. tech on the crown, and Power Milled Face and you have a conversation piece WITHOUT even mentioning the red paint and boisterous graphics.

THP got in the 9.5 verion for review, paired with the standard Fubuki ZT in stiff flex.

Information from Bridgestone:

• Power Rib sole provides increased rigidity for 460cc F.A.S.T. (Flex Action Speed Technology) Crown to flex against:
    • Maximum ball velocities through increased repulsion
    • Highest launch angles through increased crown deformation
  • Power Milled face provides incredible spin reduction
  • Low and deep center of gravity produces forgiving high launching distance
  • Variable Adjust System lets the user choose their desired face and lie angle setting
  • Mitsubishi Fubuki™ ZT Driver Shaft

Specifications:

LOFTLIE ANGLELENGTHSWING WEIGHTVOLUME
8.55945"D2460cc
9.55945"D2460cc
10.55945"D2460cc
12.05945"D2460cc

In-Hand Images:
DSC_0605-L.jpg

DSC_0604-L.jpg

DSC_0606-L.jpg

DSC_0608-L.jpg

DSC_0610-L.jpg

DSC_0611-L.jpg

DSC_0612-L.jpg

DSC_0614-L.jpg

DSC_0617-L.jpg

DSC_0615-L.jpg

DSC_0618-L.jpg

DSC_0619-L.jpg

DSC_0620-L.jpg

DSC_0632-L.jpg

DSC_0631-L.jpg

DSC_0633-L.jpg

DSC_0634-L.jpg

Last edited:
Such a cool looking head.....now can it perform?

• Staff
Such a cool looking head.....now can it perform?

I'll have it out tomorrow to see!

Gonna be a driver-ific day on the course. LOTS to test out.

Very bold look on this offering from Bridgestone. I'm sure the club performs well but so can't help but I think that color scheme is going to cost them some sales with traditionalists wanting to give the company a chance.

Wow absolutely love the looks and I know that James will provide everything about the performance. Looking forward to the thoughts

How does the milling work? Low (driver) loft + milling = spin reduction while high (wedge) loft + milling = spin increase? Is that how it works? Or is it the design of the milling? Honest question.

Top of the club head looks very busy and distracting, I prefer the clean look of the 915D2 or the G30.

How does the milling work? Low (driver) loft + milling = spin reduction while high (wedge) loft + milling = spin increase? Is that how it works? Or is it the design of the milling? Honest question.

The milling on this face keeps the ball from slipping up the club face for a fraction of a second longer which causes a more direct compression of the ball and reduces spin. Grooving on wedges is there to help remove grass, dirt etc so the ball keeps contact with the club face longer and creates more spin.

The graphics are wild, but if it performs, I would be able to look past it so to speak.

45", I dig that. Seems like stock shafts are getting closer to 46", which can be a bit much for duffers like me who don't make consistent center of face contact.

Interested in hearing how it performs, but it still reminds me of the red Power Ranger.

If you would have given me a pic of just the top of the club I would have never guessed it was a Bridgestone.
Just seems WAY out of character for them. I hope it performs well though.

Tested it with the stock shaft at Bridgestone U and absolutely loved it. It performed very well for me and I actually like the graphics, but while playing you don't even notice it

The milling on this face keeps the ball from slipping up the club face for a fraction of a second longer which causes a more direct compression of the ball and reduces spin. Grooving on wedges is there to help remove grass, dirt etc so the ball keeps contact with the club face longer and creates more spin.

Not talking about grooves, talking about milling on faces in addition to grooves.

Not talking about grooves, talking about milling on faces in addition to grooves.

The milling on wedges I believe does the same thing as the driver but due to face angle has a different effect. I could be wrong on this.

The milling on wedges I believe does the same thing as the driver but due to face angle has a different effect. I could be wrong on this.

Nailed the bold. Iirc the Bridgestone guys said the non milled faces the ball slips off the face causing extra spin and the milling helps keep the ball on the face longer reducing spin

The milling on wedges gives them roughness that allows for more spin on shots.

I'm liking this more each time I see it. And I liked it a lot when if was unveiled. Now just to demo it.

Love the red, I think the crown is one of those things you need to see in person before passing judgement.

Driver is a little busy for me but it looks fast lol

I really like the face and the sole. Wow, I am impressed. The crown does look busy, but I really don't care. Can't wait to hear what you think if this Jman.

The crown is intense. I'm still at a bit of a loss why they would do it that way as the rest of their lineup is sooooo clean, but if the tech is there I suppose it doesn't matter.

James, really looking forward to your in depth thoughts my friend.

Diggin the bottom. The top, not so much. Transformers come to mind. I guess I'd have to hit it and if a winner, I'd get the crown painted.

Very bold looks. It'll have to be quite a performer. Interested to hear your feedback., Jman.

Last edited:
The crown is intense. I'm still at a bit of a loss why they would do it that way as the rest of their lineup is sooooo clean, but if the tech is there I suppose it doesn't matter.

James, really looking forward to your in depth thoughts my friend.

those Japanese like their flashy stuff..huh. I was one of the few who didn't have a problem with the crown when we first saw pics and line many at BstoneU once you start hitting it you don't really notice the graphics that much and the results take away whatever remained from initial dislike go away.

i got to see several really good drives hit with this driver on the course by a couple people.

greggdrews is perfect example of hating the design and loving the driver once he got it in hand.

i too can't wait to hear more from Jman.

I really like this driver. It's such a trip stylistically. Seems like such a departure from everything else they do.

Back