Any quick advice for playing low fairways with dead grass.

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
I looked around and most of the tips are long complicated lessons. I just want some quick tips like ball position, etc., for hitting off of plywood fairways.

Tell me what you do to help hitting off of dirt.

The grass will be green before you know it.

Thanks,

Jack

Anybody?? It doesn't have to be from Freddie. Do I have this in the wrong forum?

Thanks,
Jack

I always move the ball back in my stance and make sure I absolutely contact the ball first when playing from tight lies.

You're probably aware of this but it's really the only thing I have found to work.

A "trick" that helps me. Thinking hey, I can easily hit off mats & they are a type of tight lies SO I just relax & pretend it's a mat. Silly I know but give it a try.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Playing off those fairways around here reinforces my "scooping" swing. I don't recommend doing it my way. :(

I come across this a lot and I found the opposite of playing the ball back works better for me. I stand open with the ball in the middle of my stance and play it as a cut shot. doing that seems to help me use the bounce of the club. playing it back in my stance only increases my chances of hitting it fat. it works for me but it might not for others

For me more club and a lot of bump and run shots. That's tough with trouble in front.

hit the ball first, it no secret, if you are hitting ball first you wont have any issues.

Take a practice swing and try to take a small scrap or minor divot after the ball. Works even for fairway woods. But yeah there is no secret for tie lies except crisp contact. Moving the ball position back will help a little.

What I used to do was use a 3/4 swing with just a little weight shift to make good contact. Since it's going to roll a long way anyway.

Thanks everyone. It really gets aggravating. As soon as the weather clears, I'll be back at it.

Jack

As others have said, play the ball a little back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hover the club above the dirt sorta like hitting from a fairway bunker when you address the ball. Then swing normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I can't say that I do anything different. If anything, take an extra club, choke down and put a good, smooth, relaxed swing on it to ensure good contact.

Like Freddie said, its about making good contact with the ball first.

Back