i used to be real wristy and yes it hurt my game, i was very inconsistent. I like to believe i am not as wristy and i have seen an improvement in my chipping and putting stroke as a result.

Too wristy. It helps me hit a beautiful draw. When my timing is off, you'd think I never played golf before. About once every summer I start flipping my wrists. Then I have to get out the training aids to correct it. Years ago, I read about turning your wrists like twisting a doorknob.

Although, my 11 year old son does this, too. I think he could tee up a ball, hit it with a putter, and get a nice draw.

Jack

Putting and chipping, no.

Full swing, I'm a textbook early release scooper. I'm working on it with my coach.

This was a big issue for me when taking lessons. I still have to fight it from time to time. My coach gave me a drill that I still work on sometimes. I usually hit the ball to the left when I flip my wrists on chips/pitches. I don't think it's an issue putting.

I switched to cross handed putting last year to try and counteract my wristy putting stroke.

Putting, no. With chipping and pitching, I tend to make better shots when Im a little wristy. Mostly because when Im that way, it means Im loose, relaxed, and focused on the shot.

So confused on this topic. I was always told to keep the wrists out of it then I read that I should use them. I dont get enough spin will the wrists help me?

Just like the rest of my game, sometimes I am and sometimes it hurts, sometimes it helps. Lack of consistency all around for me

I do feel I am very wristy. I played hockey since I was 4 and have always had good hands and also hand eye coordination. Well the bad part about having good hands in hockey is that it makes me a handsy golfer. I picked up the game of golf easy however I have struggled over the years with my short game because of how handsy I am. Overall it leads me to being too inside on the swing. When I dont come to far inside on the swing I really play well.

Sometimes they help but a majority of the time I feel like being wristy leads to more bad habits.

Putting, try not to be, but sometimes more than others.

Chipping, yes, and doesn't usually hurt me.

When I took the hands wristy out of my putting (Seemore Method) it improved quite a bit! In the short game, if I start getting wristy, I start getting "bladey" so yes from time to time I am wristy in the short game, and yes, it hurts me every time.

JM

If I use wrists, I don't consider it a chip, I more consider it a pitch, so I guess it's about how you define a chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Putting no, but chipping I am sometimes. That's one thing I've been working on the last few weeks.

No, I'm more of a "hinge and hold" type of player. I like to get the ball on the ground as quick as possible. I can play if high if needed but I still try not to do it with an overly wrist swing.

I don't know what constitutes being 'wristy' but I bend my wrists every which way and I don't think it hurts my chipping/pitching.

I try to keep my wrists out of my putting stroke, but I probably break them a bit.

I'm not wristy in any of my shots, from driver to putting. As soon as I start getting a little wristy, I lose accuracy.

Not wristy. Maybe I could use a little more in chipping? But in putting not at all.

Not wristy especially when chipping my theory is that I am much more consistent. If I have more time to practice I would see if adding more wrist in might help in some situations.

None at all for putting and chipping. Flop shot I do though

Actually, this is something that I've worked at and successfully overcome for the most part. Chipping and putting is very important for me to score because I don't normally have a high GIR percentage.

No and no...when I do...who knows what will happen. Unless it's a flop...never intentional

Are You Wristy?

Not with my putting. I've worked hard to eliminate wrist action putting.

Chipping and pitching I get wristy inside of 20yds or so. Just feel like I can control distances better that way. Anything more than that I'm trying to chip/pitch with what I guess is normal action all in one motion.

Last edited:
Yes and no? I'm not usually in my full swing but my bad habit is that I do get wristy from time to time when I try get too much distance from a club, silly I know.
As for chipping, yes I'm wristy. Putting absolutely not.

I can get a little wristy sometimes I guess, but it doesn't seem to hurt me much unless I am trying to hit a very soft lob shot. I will sometimes flip the wrists and go leave the shot short.

Having had two lessons in the past two days, the first on chipping, the second on putting.. I thought I wasn't that "handsy", but while chipping I was very much so.

So my answer would be: yes I am and yes it hurts me. I am working on getting the wrists less involved as it would improve my chipping greatly. Luckily I am not while putting :)

Back