Question about cutting down driver/wood shafts and swing weight

Dave Alvarado

Reaction score
Handicap
When I hit my driver and 3w, I end up choking up to the very bottom of the grip. I get much better control that way. I also prefer a midsize grip. I want to cut down my driver shaft and re-grip it. I understand that if I just cut an inch or two off the shaft, I'll significantly lower the swing weight. But, am I already feeling that lighter swing weight by choking down? I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to do anything to change the weight after the fact.

Yea it's the basic premise/feel if you're choking down that far.

Cool, so it sounds like maybe just cutting it down and re-gripping will be the way to go.

Only one way to find out for sure. Worst case you add some weight back to the head.

Usually I don't feel any change to the overall swing weight after cutting it down.

Pretty easy to add lead tape after the fact. If you are not centering your contact after you cut them down, you can add small strips of lead tape until you do see better results. Not everyone is sensitive to swingweight, but if you are, this method works great.

It helps some to put more weight in the grip end for center contact. Counterweighting. Might be easier to try first and cut down the shaft if it doesn't work for you.

When I hit my driver and 3w, I end up choking up to the very bottom of the grip. I get much better control that way. I also prefer a midsize grip. I want to cut down my driver shaft and re-grip it. I understand that if I just cut an inch or two off the shaft, I'll significantly lower the swing weight. But, am I already feeling that lighter swing weight by choking down? I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to do anything to change the weight after the fact.

I cut my driver to 43-1/2" and added just a little lead tape. I have no idea what the swing weight was before or after; all I know is that it was the best damn decision I ever made!

Only one way to find out for sure. Worst case you add some weight back to the head.

Hawk speaks the truth. Whenever I've cut a club down I've needed to add some weight back to the head strictly to maintain the feel of the head throughout the swing. Usually 1/2" will equal about 3 swing weight points or 6" of lead tape. A lot comes down to feel though. I've seen some people that don't need to add anything, and others (like myself) that do. I'd say cut it, grip and see how it feels. If it feels a little light, add some tape to the sole of the club until it feels right.

My driver shaft is currently playing at a 43 1/2 and I didn't add any weight to the head. So far I'm loving it.

For those who add lead tape, where on the driver head is the best place to put it?

Usually I don't feel any change to the overall swing weight after cutting it down.

You, me and most others will never know the difference. Just trim away! Anything done, is easy and cheap to undo.

For those who add lead tape, where on the driver head is the best place to put it?

I put mine out on the toe to encourage the fade.

I bought my Titleist driver at 44.5 inches. I also cut another .5 inches and can't really feel ant difference. Like other said, you can always add lead tape. I did that to my last driver and it turned out great. I colored the lead tape black and you could hardly tell it was on there.

Doesn't matter. You won't be adding enough that it will impact a draw/fade bias for example.

I put it where I know it's not going to get scraped off. Usually towards the rear end of the sole.

To the original poster. If you are still playing the SLDR S and you think the head feels too light after shortening just pick up a heavier or an additional sliding weight. Swing weight problem solved.

Back