Going to play first game, any advice or tips?

DufferRob

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,
I am finally gonna play my first game this week. I chose a 9 hole, par 27 course, 1100 yds total distance. Yardages are from the mid 80's to just over 200. Figured this would be a good one to start out with. Going solo so I can get a feel for it and to not hold everyone else up. Basically just looking for some beginner advice. The biggies I assume are let others play through, fix ball marks/divots. What else are priorities when I am out there?

Thanks, Rob

Last edited:
I would first say have fun out there, do not worry about score. Second of all take your time, even if you have to wait until one or two groups play though nothing worse then feeling rushed. Other then that enjoy Rob, wishing you the best. Enjoy the round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have fun man. Too many of us get caught up in what we score and forget the real purpose of this game. Go enjoy yourself. I wouldn't even keep score.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, just go out and enjoy hitting the ball. If you're with experienced golfers, watch and learn from them. Most importantly, relax and have fun.

Have fun. Laugh at yourself when you screw up, and be proud of yourself after a reasonable shot. Sounds like you've got the course etiquette stuff covered!

Did my first round in forever a couple weekends ago with THPers.

Have fun, ignore your score, and just play safe golf. If you find yourself thinking "I can make that if I go for it", just lay up. It's easier to hit out of the fairway than the woods.

second all the thoughts on having fun, enjoy and take your time. no need to worry about score.

Best wishes and enjoy. Start of a journey...

Number 1 priority should be to have fun and think about those of us in the Northeast that won't get on a course until August at the rate the snow is falling here.

Going to play first game, any advice or tips?

I remember my forts time on a course. Very similar setup to what you're playing. I can't remember my score, but I can remember getting hooked and what a great time I had. Cherish that moment and don't even keep score would be my advice. There will be many of years left to fret over a score :)

Have fun!

Get out there and have fun. Don't take it all so seriously.

Relax & take your time, no need to score it. Having fun is the name of the game.

Have fun, don't necessarily bother keeping score and just enjoy being out on the course

I know you said you are going solo, but don't be afraid to go with a group - the par 3 course you are going to play might not be as helpful, but sometimes watching how others play their way around the course can be a big help

Another benefit of playing with others - you have someone else to keep an eye on where your ball went so you don't have to be constantly looking. Having to keep looking yourself may lead to bad shots just because you are lifting your head too soon to look for the ball.....

I will re-emphasize to not even worry about score. Maybe even ask someone who is an experienced golfer to tag along with you to focus on helping you out. I;ve taken a couple of my friends out who never play and even though I "played" with them I was more there to help them out.

Thanks everyone. I hadn't really planned on keeping score but will see when I get there. Have fun, for sure. Oh, and bring a ton-o-balls :D Really just looking for the experience.

Thanks, Rob

Have fun, enjoy the scenery and don't worry about your score!

Just don't worry about your score. Just enjoy the round and have fun. Plenty of time to get into the "nuts and bolts" of the game.

I think going to a par 3 course is one of the best decisions you could have made. I will echo others in saying not to worry about score. If the course is pretty empty don't hesitate to hit a second ball often, either to get a better result or to try a different club for a particular shot. If the course is crowded don't bother tracking down balls that go WAY offline...on many par 3 courses you could easily interrupt people on multiple holes looking for a ball after a bad shot.

Main thing is to get as much of a feel for real world playing conditions as you can. No amount of range time, putting, chipping practice can have a newbie tuned in to how the game plays on the course. You will quickly find that your chips and putts will end up being from far greater distances than you practiced from and it will take some time to get used to that.

One other main thing....have fun. Even if you are getting frustrated find something to have fun with...even if it is laughing at yourself when you 4 putt from 6 feet make sure you enjoy the beginning of your journey. Fun now means a much better chance of doing it long enough to really start seeing improvements....which makes it easier (for the most part) to have fun.

Sooooo, it actually went fairly well. Played two rounds. Only lost one ball, so pretty good there. Did good until near the end of the first and I started topping the ball. Took me until the middle of the second to start hitting it decent again. Much different than hitting off the mats at the range. Definitely good times and looking forward to more.

Glad to hear that it went well. Keep us updated on your progress. We are all hear for support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which course are you going to play Rob? That yardage sounds a little like Bradshaw Ranch, which is a fun little 9 with a couple short water carries. Easy peasy to go 18 there too.

Which course are you going to play Rob? That yardage sounds a little like Bradshaw Ranch, which is a fun little 9 with a couple short water carries. Easy peasy to go 18 there too.

Yep, Bradshaw Ranch. Looked like a good one to start on. Two rounds was only 15.00 so you cannot beat the price, either.

Hit the ball. Find it. Hit it again. Have fun.

Glad to hear it went well for you Rob.

This thread reminded me of how I first started by playing a par 3 course back in high school. First hole was a long uphiller that I needed a wood (3 wood maybe?) to have a chance to reach. It was very intimidating. The second hole was a steep downhiller. I'm just getting back into golf now after a 10 year hiatus and have only been to the driving range so far (once for a lesson). I think I'll hit up a par 3 course before going to a full length course.

Back