TaylorMade SLDR Rescue Review Thread

Great write-ups Freddie. I am looking to replace my current hybrid and this may be it. I am looking for more altitude and your "high arcing shots", are exactly what I am would like to see from a hybrid. I can hit my Superfast about 230 yards, but it just isn't getting as high as I would like to see.

I haven't seen you swing but I typically hit a mid ball and I'm seeing higher trajectory. I'd give this a look see

Hit this club about 4 times in my round the other day. One of the things I am really fond of is the ball flight. For me the lower CG is producing a ball flight I am really happy with. I am also no longer missing with a snap hook like my TP FW I am gaming right now. It was very cold out and the air was dense and I was still getting 200yds out of this club. It was a club to 2 more day.

Another note. I can also shape a shot with this club. TM has done a great job with design on this.

Hit this club about 4 times in my round the other day. One of the things I am really fond of is the ball flight. For me the lower CG is producing a ball flight I am really happy with. I am also no longer missing with a snap hook like my TP FW I am gaming right now. It was very cold out and the air was dense and I was still getting 200yds out of this club. It was a club to 2 more day.

Another note. I can also shape a shot with this club. TM has done a great job with design on this.
What ball flight are you seeing

What ball flight are you seeing

Its a much higher flight for me. Where I can land the ball on the green and it will stay. I tended to hit more of a driver shape with my other hybrid. I am also really working on hitting a small draw instead of my push(aka slice) right. With this club when I take it inside on the right plane I am getting the shot shape I want. Which is a small draw with high flight that is a piercing flight not a balloon. I tried hitting the G25 from ping recently and to me that was all I got out of that hybrid is a bullet that is hard to stop. With this SLDR I am getting the opposite. Part of what is also helping is im working my tail off on getting better and I can really see my swing getting better each month. But I also have a ton of room to improve.

Has anyone compared this to the Rescue 11? I would like to get a few more yards out of my 3 hybrid. The Rescue 11 3 is 18* and the SLDR is 19*, or the 2 in the SLDR is 17*.

Has anyone compared this to the Rescue 11? I would like to get a few more yards out of my 3 hybrid. The Rescue 11 3 is 18* and the SLDR is 19*, or the 2 in the SLDR is 17*.

I gamed the Rescue 11 for a bit when they first came out, and for me, they are quite similar. Shape/form of the two are quite favorable, with a more squared face and design. In terms of performance, it's hard to say for me, as my game is quite different now than it was when I had the Rescue 11. I would say, without a doubt however, that the SLDR hybrid is a bit longer, even though the lofts are different. I attribute that to the launch that I see with the SLDR hybrid, and the ability to get the ball up in the air for some additional carry.

I think it would be a nice upgrade, if that is what you are looking for. A familiar shape for you, but with some increased performance for sure.

I think it would be a nice upgrade, if that is what you are looking for. A familiar shape for you, but with some increased performance for sure.

That is what attracted me to it vs the RBZ, the shape of the head is similar and I like the Rescue 11's ability to get the ball out of thicker rough. My fitting indicated I should have heavier shafts in my rescue clubs so rather than spend the money on 2 new shafts I am thinking I will just purchase 2 new SLDR hybrids since the shaft is, I believe, 82 grams.

That is what attracted me to it vs the RBZ, the shape of the head is similar and I like the Rescue 11's ability to get the ball out of thicker rough. My fitting indicated I should have heavier shafts in my rescue clubs so rather than spend the money on 2 new shafts I am thinking I will just purchase 2 new SLDR hybrids since the shaft is, I believe, 82 grams.

Correct, stock shaft in the SLDR is a heavier option. Could look in to the TP SLDR with a 93g shaft, as well.

Just had my first cracks with the 19 degree in the simulator. Very interesting results. Will get it all down in here soon!

12/14/13

Northshore Golf club
partially cloudy
mid 70s with a slight breeze

Todays round was a last minute call from a buddy to get out. I had the time and rushed out. I didn't expect much from the round but saw a great deal. I played the SLDR at 18.5* no wing I would need it on a long par3.

i played it off each tee under 400 yds, the long par 3 and into the 15th hole for my second on the par 5. I found every fairway and both greens. Off the tee the ball flight was just below high and very penetrating. Off the deck the ball was solid mid flight slow riser that feel just left of my target.

Length is relative and different for each person. I find this club to be on par with my gamer as far as length is concerned. Depending on the solidness of the strike and swing put on the ball I am seeing 220-245.

The contact or sound off the tee is a quick twack and the ball is on its way. That buttery feel I get with my gamer isn't here with this club. It's not a bad feeling just more industrial. Like hammering a heavy spike vs a nail.

I've commented on the look of the club and my opinion has not changed. I like looking down at this club knowing what is about to happen. Today was no different and the results were way unexpected. I'm set to take my gamer out of my bag as I need to start getting ready for this little event mid summer. The SLDR will be hanging around for a bit.

Ok, as promised I got to sneak away after dropping my kiddos off at soccer camp yesterday and headed to the PGA Superstore to hit in one of their simulators. I really enjoy doing this right off the bat with any new club because it gives me some solid numbers in a few key categories and I get a good feel of the club. It's also been extremely cold already for this time of year (ice last week and been in the high 30's and low 40's since then). So here we go!

I've bee playing with the Callaway X Hot Pro 20 degree since last spring. I've always had a bit of a history in over hooking my hybrids when I miss since they always seem to have a bit of offset to them. Also has to do with how I swing them as well. I have had pretty good luck with the X Hot so far and really haven't been looking around to replace it.....which is a good thing. I have a Project X 6.0 PXv shaft in the 20 degree.

When I received my Taylor Made SLDR 19 degree hybrid I laughed a bit because I was sent a Speeder R shaft in it. I hadn't hit a regular shaft in any club in quite some time (maybe even since high school) so was exploring options with JB and War Eagle about maybe changing. As it played out I ended up keeping the club and shaft and took it as another challenge to see what would happen as I put it though it's paces.

I warmed up with my X Hot 20 degree and ended up hitting about 6 shots to get going. I then proceeded to hit about 16 shots and took my best 8 to come up with an average. Here were the results with the Callaway X Hot Pro 20 degree:

DFDAE43A-DFFA-499B-8E02-7E8796B75E34_zps1wii3lha.jpg

Then grabbed the Taylor Made SLDR 19 degree and was going to do the same thing. Take the best 8 shots out of 16-18 hits and then compare a bit. Something kind of strange happened. Hit the first ball pretty well. Hit the next one a bit better. Before I knew it, I was up to 9 hits and not one was a shot I was going to delete. Wow! Maybe it had a bit to do with me being more warmed up by then...who knows?! But here were my averages with the first 9 shots I hit with the SLDR 19 degree:

CAF07468-BD73-4CD4-856F-C10FD6DCE501_zpscwvz6bub.jpg

Now take into consideration that it's a degree more than the X Hot, so I was expecting a bit further distance. But the thing I really liked seeing was a bit tighter distribution in where my balls ended up. As you can see my miss was not occurring to the left as much anymore. Color me intrigued!

As I stated earlier in my hybrid history, many of the faces appear closed to me because of some of the offset. While I do think the X Hot 20 degree has way less offset than others, the SLDR seems to be almost square or just slightly open at address. Could be my eye or the way I set the club down at the ball but to me this was really appealing! I usually like to just slightly hold the club in my left hand, set the club down at the ball very gently and see what the club and club face does once in place. I just let the club weight and design take over to see how it likes to sit on the ground. Here's a picture of both just setting both down with little or no pressure:

476B9700-5423-449B-A80B-0B588167E810_zpss5jpzyfp.jpg

Also interesting note that I didn't realize till after I finished hitting, was that the SLDR was a good bit longer than the X Hot! The website for both OEM's have the X Hot Pro 20 degree at 40.25 inches and the SLDR 19 degree at 41.25 inches. 1 inch longer! Interesting enough the SLDR 21 degree goes down to 40.75 inches which is still longer than the X Hot. Here is the 19 degree SLDR and 20 degree X Hot length compared:

C9F63A8B-4C5D-4E17-9397-F8C384185EDC_zpsnse0iw4c.jpg

So to sum up my first cracks with the SLDR 19 degree with a REGULAR shaft in it:

- Very consistent in the simulator. Used the first 9 balls that I hit for my averages.
- Much tighter ball distribution than expected.
- LONG.
- Square face at address and little to no offset with the club.

Color me intrigued, more so than when I first received the club. Headed to the course today to play with a few DFW'ers so will give it some on course wacks and go from there!

Thanks for reading and keep it in the short grass today!

Nate, how was the overall ball flight compared to the x-hot? The drawback I had from the x hit was the relative low bullets it hit. I have always gamed TM hybrids so I am really pumped to get to have these in my bag down the road. Had you hit any if the RBZ or Rescue hybrids in the past? Was it a similar feel and type ball flight?

I was playing the rescue hybrids and with the low CG in these I am getting really nice ball flight out of these. I am able to land it on the green and get it to stick.

Nice work on the write-ups guys.

Nate that was a really solid write up, dude.

240 carry with that hybo is ridiculous, and to think thats the reg flex shaft even blows my mind a bit more.

Nate, how was the overall ball flight compared to the x-hot? The drawback I had from the x hit was the relative low bullets it hit. I have always gamed TM hybrids so I am really pumped to get to have these in my bag down the road. Had you hit any if the RBZ or Rescue hybrids in the past? Was it a similar feel and type ball flight?

Based on the number from the sim they looked to be pretty even for both...just slightly lower with the SLDR, which would make sense being at 19 degrees. I tend to hit down on my hybrids, sort of like an iron shot, so my flight is a bit lower than maybe some others that stay behind the ball and lift up on it a bit. I will tell you that at first glance looking down it appears the XHot looks more lofted to me than the SLDR, with just a more lofted looking face. Could also be the design of the XHot too, being more rounded or pearl shaped.

I did own a rescue hybrid a few years back and would hook the every living life out of it 50% of the time. More offset just killed me. This one is night and day compared to the old rescue. It just feels easier to hit at address and so far it's living up to that thought!

Nate that was a really solid write up, dude.

240 carry with that hybo is ridiculous, and to think thats the reg flex shaft even blows my mind a bit more.

Here's something that I thought about yesterday Ryan (with Cookie's help) and call me crazy if you think.......I perfer to hit a slight cut with my hybrids so take it more straight back and tend to come just a tab bit on the outside/in to try and promote that cut spin. My miss tends to be a hook when the club face shuts down on me early though that transition. This regular shaft is heavier than the past hybrid shafts I've used and the shaft may be lagging just a fraction of a millisecond behind what a stiff shaft would be. Maybe this is causing the face to square up a bit better than what a stiff shaft in this club would be doing (based on my swing of course). It was interesting to ponder.

Excellent info Nate and info that I honestly expected. I know we spoke about the shaft prior to the testing and you were concerned.
I think it goes with the territory of us being "equipment" people on forums and such.

I wont say it...Okay I will. Told ya so. :D

Glad I was able to see this first hand. That was really an impressive ball flight that Nate got with that strike. I was impressed with the performance of the club.

I used it twice on the course yesterday. Once off the tee where I needed to hit the fairway and then on the vine shot that cookie took to a par 5. Pulled it just a tad bit and ended pin high in the bunker left of the pin. But you're right, I'm loving the ball flight off the club so far! It is a fun club to hit right now and my confidence is growing.

Excellent info Nate and info that I honestly expected. I know we spoke about the shaft prior to the testing and you were concerned.
I think it goes with the territory of us being "equipment" people on forums and such.

I wont say it...Okay I will. Told ya so. :D
I know, I know, but I'm glad I'm being proven wrong here...believe me! Glad I gave it a go because it is super easy to hit thus far, compared to some of the others I've tried. Think I may crank the loft up to get it closer to my 20 degrees but worried it might start giving me a closed club face look if I do. We shall see.

Any issues with a higher ball flight, Nate? Or were you playing to keep it low (Texas wind and all :) )

TaylorMade SLDR Rescue Review Thread

I like the looks of the head, I've had trouble to get some hight with my hybrid shots, I will see if this club could help me.

No hopes of hitting it outside though :)

Does the speed pocket gather a lot of dirt?

How does it perform in a deep rough? (The kind of deep where you can hit a hybrid/rescue from...)

Any issues with a higher ball flight, Nate? Or were you playing to keep it low (Texas wind and all :) )

None off the ground...the one tee shot I hit ballooned just a bit on me so need to make sure I'm teeing it down. It was downwind and I teed it up just a bit to see if I could really get it airborne.....it was hit a bit high on the face as a result. That was on me.

I like the looks of the head, I've had trouble to get some hight with my hybrid shots, I will see if this club could help me.

No hopes of hitting it outside though :)

Does the speed pocket gather a lot of dirt?

How does it perform in a deep rough? (The kind of deep where you can hit a hybrid/rescue from...)

Haven't hit it enough yet Henri to know about the dirt. And I don't hit it in the rough to know how a hybrid should perform in the rough. :D But I'm getting under it very nicely in the fairway so rough should be a snap! I will let you know when it happens!

Also wanted to note, the XHot, to me, looks more aerodynamic in shape and built for finesse.....the SLDR looks like it's built for power! I think it's because of it's longer face. Was just my first thoughts when I looked down at 'em behind the ball.

No dirt in the speed pocket since it's filled in, but the crevices all over the bottom collect dirt/grass like crazy. It's not an easy club to just wipe clean.

Back