Golf Ball Subscriptions

mcrobertsjmac32

Reaction score
Handicap
I usually buy balls from ebay from Lost Golf Balls, but have been disappointed with the consistency in quality as well as the difference in model. For example I ordered 50 Bridgestone e6s... well I was less than pleased that numerous balls were e5, e7, e7+ etc. So I decided to look towards different avenues.

I found several deals on Wilson Zips, 50elites, and Duos on Rockbottomgolf.com, and Kmart surprisingly. What I learned was that I was getting tired of searching for deals and having to buy in bulk for a deal.

Last night I stumbled upon Jack Nicklaus' new golf ball line. They are tested and reviewed well. They are $28 per dozen which isnt horrible for a premium ball. But..... if u subscribe to one dozen a month its $25 free shipping.

The question I have is not whether I should get Nicklaus balls, it is whether subscriptions were a good idea? Im not a great player and can easily lose 5 to 6 balls on an off day, but some times can play a round without losing a ball (doesnt happen alot) or just 2ish (more often). I like the idea of not having go get balls and have them come to my door like my dollar shave club blades. Can I survive in the warm months with only 12 balls? Im sure I can stock up in the winter months and will be fine next summer. What do u guys think? Does a ball subscription interest you?

The question I have is not whether I should get Nicklaus balls, it is whether subscriptions were a good idea?
Do you think it's a good idea? If you like the idea, and like the ball, then it seems like a no-brainer to me.

I tought Nicklaus didn't like today's balls.....

Im on the fence on the idea. I would like to constantly play the same ball, but $25 a month is a lot... so im undecided. Figured I gather the pros and cons guidance from fellow THPers

I assume at $28 you are referring to the Blue and that ball is a surlyn covered golf ball. The Black, which I believe costs $32 is a urethane covered ball.
They are manufactured by Bridgestone Golf.

I accidentally subscribed to a golf ball company. That new Kick X golf ball that I saw on TGC. I usually don't fall for that crap and thought I was being careful about what I was clicking and selecting. It's one of those sites that I usually close as soon as I open it, but this one really intrigued me so I stayed the course. You have to click through several pages of this off and that off and make sure to click the box that says "not interested" etc. Finally when I got done, I had a dozen of these balls on their way for "free". Well, all of a sudden I saw a charge on my credit card for payment for that first "free" dozen and another dozen was on its way. I cancelled on the spot. I asked the rep how they are free, and she pointed out that in small print, it was a free trial for 2 weeks or whatever. If you liked them, you kept them. If not, you returned them or what you didn't use or lose and they would prorate the cost. She did end up refunding me after all though, LOL and I didn't continue with the subscription.

That being said, I did really like the ball a lot!! Ball flight was great, distance was great, accuracy was good considering I suck at golf, spin on the green was great, durability was great, and roll off the putter was great. I really liked the 3 lines that they have on the ball and having that big orange X made it very easy to find and identify as well. The only reason I didn't do it was that I just don't need a dozen golf balls coming to me every month.

You can check them out for comparison, and if you go through enough golf balls, go for it. Check out the Terms and Conditions and see what it says about cancelling. Maybe you can do it for a few months and if you aren't getting backed up with a large inventory of golf balls, then you're good. If you are, then cancel. Or maybe you do it for a year, then cancel and you'll eventually go through whatever you have stocked up. In the end, you're right $25 for a dozen good quality golf balls is a pretty fair deal.

If you do the subscription, the blacks are $27/month but not sure how much shipping costs.

I don't know ... I don't see me playing over $300 worth of golf balls in a year. I play a fair amount, and can lose my share of golf balls ... but between the ones I buy and the ones I find out on the course, I doubt I go through a bought dozen a month, which wouldn't justify the subscription for me. Personally, where I live that money would pay for an entire year of range membership ... and I'd rather do that and buy balls on the cheap.

Last edited:
I wouldn't, but everyone has a different situation. I buy 2 dozen premium balls every year, and they pretty much last the whole year for me. I still play other balls, and its usually what all of the high schoolers leave for me in the Spring.

~Rock

He said they need to be "rolled back". Can you say hypocrite.

I tend to agree completely. Kind of like saying courses are being built too long, but then continuing to build long courses...Hmmm.

I've never heard of a golf ball subcription. Not sure I would join on either.

I do not think that I have spend $300 on golf balls in my entire 20+years of golf - there is absolutely NO WAY I would ever do a ball subscription service.
I am not made of money, and golf balls are way down on my list of necessities.
Now, investing in a solid ball retriever, that is a different question….

I do not think that I have spend $300 on golf balls in my entire 20+years of golf - there is absolutely NO WAY I would ever do a ball subscription service.
I am not made of money, and golf balls are way down on my list of necessities.
Now, investing in a solid ball retriever, that is a different question….
I lose alot of golf balls. Ive lost a dozen a round multiple times when I just started seriously playing golf. My home track is super conducive to losing balls. My buddy who shoots in the low 80s high 70s can easily lose 5 balls a round there. I do have a nice retriever lol. That has already paid for itself x 2 with the amount of balls fished out of places

No way, I just don't like the idea of subscribing to something that I don't know exactly what quantity I will use.

I lose alot of golf balls. Ive lost a dozen a round multiple times when I just started seriously playing golf. My home track is super conducive to losing balls. My buddy who shoots in the low 80s high 70s can easily lose 5 balls a round there. I do have a nice retriever lol. That has already paid for itself x 2 with the amount of balls fished out of places
I feel your pain. Desert, long grass and water are bad combinations for keeping balls for any length of time.

I wouldn't buy a subscription for golf balls. I don't normally need to spend that much on golf balls a month.

I can't remember the last time I went through a dozen balls a month for a season. I say buy as you need them. For a savings of $3 a dozen it's not worth it. I usually buy before the season when they are on sale and when I run out I'll buy more.

Like others have said, 12 balls a month is a lot. Sure I've lost my share, but if I got a dozen a month, I'd have a closet full of them by year end.

no way. I bought 2 dozen bridgestones and 2 dozen Duos the end of last year, and after maybe 7 rounds this year, I still have all the bridgestones and at least a dozen of the duos.

And I am not a good golfer. If you play 1 round a week, that means you are losing 3 balls every round to use up your subscription every month. If you get out more than that, then maybe it is worth it but I am lucky if I get out every week.

Plus, I like to try new models out, besides the Duos/Bridgestones I have a dozen FG Tour Yellows and just got a dozen Chrome Softs. And I am sure there will be some new models I want to try out later this year or next, so why be locked in?

But, you could be one who wants to order and forget it, but for me I would end up with 7 or 8 dozen unused balls before I cancelled and started giving everyone of my friends those golf balls for Christmas.

I don't know about a subscription, but I have found using hotel points, airline miles and credit card points allows me to try different balls that I normally wouldn't try or want to lay out the cash for. I travel somewhat frequently for work and the points/miles add up quick. I figure is my bonus to myself for having my butt in an airplane seat.

I would not do it. Seems like when I buy 2 or 3 boxes at a time (when I find a good deal). I always have 2 or 3 sleeves sitting around and then something new comes out I want to try. If I like the new ball better, these extra sleeves tend to just sit around in the garage.

I tought Nicklaus didn't like today's balls.....

He wants the USGA to roll them back, but is willing to cash in while he can. Sorry :eek:fftopic:

To the OP, if it saves you money, go for it, but if I lost that many balls, I'd being playing something cheaper.

You can get 6 dozen Bridgestone e5 balls for $115 on Amazon right now. I'm set for the year.

Back