Wilson Staffer

Reaction score
Handicap
So I gained about 20 pounds over the winter. I do every year due to no golf and it's getting harder and harder to shed the pounds the older I get. I was wondering if anyone my age (almost 50) goes through the same thing every winter and if so how do you shed the extra pounds aside from golf alone. Thinking about joining a state of the art wellness center but it's like $150.00 per month. Diet and exercise? ? I carb out way too much in the winter time. And no it's not the munchies. Although I live in a weed legal state I do not partake.

$150/month sounds crazy high.

How do you feel about swimming?

You should stop by the fitness and weight loss thread. There are a lot of THPers fighting the same fight in there.

$150/month is too high. I'm also not an expert on "wellness centers" I like black iron gyms. Or any gym that allows chalk.

I'm 53 and I'm lucky that my weight has stayed around 165 lbs (at 5'11") for all of my adult life. I eat small meals, and cheat rarely. The key is just not sticking food in your mouth. I know, easier said than done, but I didn't come from a "big eater" family.

Oh brother I feel ya! I'll be 52 this year and have always had an extremely fast metabolism. It the past year and a half or two, my metabolism has basically said "screw you, I'm gonna go on vacation!". I go back and forth between 5 a 10 pounds over weight. Winter is the worst because I'm just not outside doing much at all.

Ive become much more attuned to what I eat and how much of it. There have been M - F weeks where all I have had was a salad at night. I can diet it off right now, but will be interested to see where it goes this Summer when I can add some aerobic exercise as well. Might even be able to get down to fighting weight.

JM

You should stop by the fitness and weight loss thread. There are a lot of THPers fighting the same fight in there.

$150/month is too high. I'm also not an expert on "wellness centers" I like black iron gyms. Or any gym that allows chalk.
#internetlifter

So I gained about 20 pounds over the winter. I do every year due to no golf and it's getting harder and harder to shed the pounds the older I get. I was wondering if anyone my age (almost 50) goes through the same thing every winter and if so how do you shed the extra pounds aside from golf alone. Thinking about joining a state of the art wellness center but it's like $150.00 per month. Diet and exercise? ? I carb out way too much in the winter time. And no it's not the munchies. Although I live in a weed legal state I do not partake.
I am 47, for me it's about exercise and proper nutrition. I was a pig 7 years ago and now feel great at 47, don't pay 150 a month for a wellness program that is way to exoensive. If you need any help feel free to message me, I an not an expert but I know what works for guys our age

Ive been reading Blu posts too long, because I saw that one coming. :banana:

JM
Hehe.

I think there is a compliment in there. ;) at least that's how I'm taking it.

Winter fat

I put on 25 lbs this winter and I feel like crap. Picking up my new bike tomorrow though and start rides Tuesday so it will drop fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you Wilson, have gained about 13 pounds this winter. I'm 57 (did I say that out loud?!) and used to be able to lose weight at the drop of a hat but I have to really work at it now. I think part of it is some seasonal affect disorder - I just kind of shutdown during the winter and lose any motivation to workout, etc. But it has been getting harder every year to get it back. I will lose the weight when I finally decide to get off my ass and starting moving and that usually coincides with the start of golf season :D

I am 47, for me it's about exercise and proper nutrition. I was a pig 7 years ago and now feel great at 47, don't pay 150 a month for a wellness program that is way to exoensive. If you need any help feel free to message me, I an not an expert but I know what works for guys our age

You don't look 47, so MAYBE he knows what he's talking about.

I'm 53 and I'm lucky that my weight has stayed around 165 lbs (at 5'11") for all of my adult life. I eat small meals, and cheat rarely. The key is just not sticking food in your mouth. I know, easier said than done, but I didn't come from a "big eater" family.

I agree, and if you do snack, veggies, fruit, nuts. That kind of stuff. Just have to stick to it.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys. Yeah the Wellness center has a full gym universal equipment, big screens an Olympic size pool and jacusi, steam room, sauna, basketball, racquetball, tennis, a full cafe, rock clinbing walls, water slides etc... but still at $150.00 I can find a more affordable option. I just get stuck into this work and home routine in the winter with very little activity involving cardiovascular or something like that. And I need to start packing fruits instead of chips and pop. No kore fastfood also. Thanks guys. I'll pm some of you like maybe blugold for more ideas.

Different view, if no golf is the problem, move to where you can golf year round.

I've replaced golf with skiing in the winter. To stay active.

To help with eating habits try writing down everything you eat to help with accountability. I've done that in the past and lost about 20-25lbs.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys. Yeah the Wellness center has a full gym universal equipment, big screens an Olympic size pool and jacusi, steam room, sauna, basketball, racquetball, tennis, a full cafe, rock clinbing walls, water slides etc... but still at $150.00 I can find a more affordable option. I just get stuck into this work and home routine in the winter with very little activity involving cardiovascular or something like that. And I need to start packing fruits instead of chips and pop. No kore fastfood also. Thanks guys. I'll pm some of you like maybe blugold for more ideas.
If you have questions, I will answer the best I can. I'm not an expert, just an enthusiasist

I'm 61 and it is difficult to control weight but this year I actually lost weight thanks to my tread mill. 3 times a week, 45 minutes, 4 degree incline, 3 miles... But I don't look forward to it! I definitely feel your pain.

I'm 61 and it is difficult to control weight but this year I actually lost weight thanks to my tread mill. 3 times a week, 45 minutes, 4 degree incline, 3 miles... But I don't look forward to it! I definitely feel your pain.
Try switching up the speed and incline every minute, fast to slow to fast to slow. It'll work better. :)

I have one more week before I go to 6 degrees, thanks for the recommendation. I have come accept that this is what is required if I want to stay active as I age!

I'm perfectly capable of gaining weight all four seasons.

Back