Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was watching some of the highlights at the Blue Monster and was really impressed by the 18th hole there, it's a make or break hole and so far has given us a lot of excitement.

Do you think the 18th hole in a tournament should be the deciding factor in who becomes the Champion? Should it make your knees knock when you stare at it off the tee? Should the approach shot to the green make you hit one of the best you'll ever hit?

I think yes, I think a great finishing hole should test the mental as well as the shot making parts of your game. It should be a defining moment.

I agree 100% with the OP. A very challenging 18th makes for the potential for great drama if multiple guys are fighting for the win on Sunday.

I was watching some of the highlights at the Blue Monster and was really impressed by the 18th hole there, it's a make or break hole and so far has given us a lot of excitement.

Do you think the 18th hole in a tournament should be the deciding factor in who becomes the Champion? Should it make your knees knock when you stare at it off the tee? Should the approach shot to the green make you hit one of the best you'll ever hit?

I think yes, I think a great finishing hole should test the mental as well as the shot making parts of your game. It should be a defining moment.

Definitely it should. The 18th should challenge the player and reward risks. The True Blue 18th is a perfect 18th hole. As is the 18th at Caledonia. Even though I kind of prefer Caledonia over TB, out the two 18th holes I definitely like the 18th on TB more.

Absolutely. Throw in the grandstands full of people. How would you not want that?

I love the 18th at my home course as its a risk/reward par 5.

Lots of birdies, lots of double bogies there.

No doubt it should be a challenge. Pressure to close out with a big crowd brings the "drama" fans are looking for.

I love the Blue Monster and the 18th makes for lots of drama. All courses should have a tough finishing hole. On my home course it's a 455 yard par 4 with 5 bunkers guarding the green that plays into the prevailing wind.

I love seeing a challenging 18th hole. Dorsal and Quail Hollow are two of my favorites.

I love when it's a par 5 finish though, the risk/reward of a par5 is exciting especially with the tourney on the lone

Defiantly think it needs to offer some excitement and get players thinking. It's one of the reasons why I hate the Tour Championship being at Eastlake.

You guys think 18 at Augusta is tough enough?

I agree 100% with the OP. A very challenging 18th makes for the potential for great drama if multiple guys are fighting for the win on Sunday.

I agree.

Yes, I think 18 should make you sweat.

Definitely think 18 should make or break your finish in a tournament without being stupid difficult.

Having it the play the hardest during the week really makes you concentrate all the way to the end, no letting up. That will always make for a great tournament.

I agree 18 should be the pressure cooker. Up by 1 with 1 to go you better play it right or thats it. I love that.

A dramatic 18th is something special, you might not win the tournament there but you sure can lose it. It adds a lot of excitement and a certain Van de velde unknown to how it could finish.

I think in a tournament, the 18th will aways make golfers sweat. Regardless of how difficult it actually is.

Definitely think the 18th should offer some drama, challenge, and make you sweat a bit.

The 18th should be a test that the victor must pass in order to get the trophy.

I think the 18th hole should add some excitement. Whether it's a par 5 that *can* be reached in 2, but has some trouble(like 18 at TP), or one like Doral that you really need to hit good shots to have a chance at birdie. Whether it's a hole you need to hold on to or one to make up a stroke as long as it's an exciting one.

Take the 18th at Bethpage Black(or even Olympic Club) it's really a crappy finishing hole. Those guys hit irons off the tee to a landing area and then have a short club in their hand to finish it out.

In regards to the OP 18 should be both a solid test (however, not enough where no one can break par) but also visually stunning.

18 at Augusta is solid finishing hole, not the best IMO but solid, the walk up the hill is cool, but where it makes or breaks you is the putting, that green is a beast, especially Sunday's pin placement. You need to stroke that putt well.

I go back and forth on this.

I think it should be a great hole, but not necessarily a hard hole if that makes sense. As far as the Tour goes, having a hole that can produce a birdie if played well lends itself to an exciting finish. If it's too difficult or penal then I'm not as impressed personally. Something that allows a little risk taking is even better.

Completely agree. And no par 3 18th holes please. My biggest complaint about East Lake.

I think it's trickier than it looks. Just looking at last years stats, only 2 more holes on the course yielded more bogey's. I can't find 2013, but in 2012 it was the 6th hardest on the course. I don't think it's a slam dunk hole by any means.

I'm with Hawk on this. I think number 18 should be a difficult hole, but, not the most difficult. From a tournament viewer's perspective, I love finishing holes where there is a lot of risk/reward at stake--a hole that entices the player to take a chance that might mean winning or losing. If so darn hard that players won't take that risk, it makes for a not-so-exciting finish, IMO.

Back