Average Amateur Swing Speeds - Where Do You Fit In?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Came across this chart hunting for course distance info and found it interesting. it's from Trackman talking about the performance of the average amateur golfer (http://blog.trackmangolf.com/performance-of-the-average-male-amateur/)

Club-Speed-for-Average-Male-Golfer.png

Have you been measured for driver swing speed lately?
Do you stack up well against the average?
Does this chart surprise you?

I think THP events are a nice medium for gaining averages of not just all golfers, but avid golfers with respect to our community. I would say I'm in the 1% between 111-115 based on my last trip to a store to get on trackman. Those who are in that group seem to get talked about quite often at or after THP events, but I think the average for swing speed hits home quite well. Then they offer this chart:

Club Speed = 93.4 mph

AMA (Actual)

AMA (Optimal)

Ball Speed (mph)

Launch Angle (deg)

Spin Rate (rpm)

Carry (yds)

204 (normalized)

Landing Angle (deg)

34.8 (normalized)

Total (yds)

226 (normalized)

Interesting, right? We hear talks about 'lower spin' with 'added forgiveness' in the 2015 stable of driver offerings, and some seem to relegate the spin characteristics to really benefit the lower handicaps with higher swing speeds, but based on this chart it's really a blanket resolution for the average golfer regardless of point of face contact. I'd also venture a guess to assume a decent percentage of amateurs are playing a fade, or outside-to-inside swing path which is raising their spin numbers a bit.

If you know your numbers, how does 204 yards of carry sound? How about the optimal 228 yards of carry? Is that something that would interest you, or are you "better than average"?

Back