Average Amateur Swing Speeds - Where Do You Fit In?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Came across this chart hunting for course distance info and found it interesting. it's from Trackman talking about the performance of the average amateur golfer (http://blog.trackmangolf.com/performance-of-the-average-male-amateur/)

Club-Speed-for-Average-Male-Golfer.png

Have you been measured for driver swing speed lately?
Do you stack up well against the average?
Does this chart surprise you?

I think THP events are a nice medium for gaining averages of not just all golfers, but avid golfers with respect to our community. I would say I'm in the 1% between 111-115 based on my last trip to a store to get on trackman. Those who are in that group seem to get talked about quite often at or after THP events, but I think the average for swing speed hits home quite well. Then they offer this chart:

Club Speed = 93.4 mph

AMA (Actual)

AMA (Optimal)

Ball Speed (mph)

Launch Angle (deg)

Spin Rate (rpm)

Carry (yds)

204 (normalized)

Landing Angle (deg)

34.8 (normalized)

Total (yds)

226 (normalized)

Interesting, right? We hear talks about 'lower spin' with 'added forgiveness' in the 2015 stable of driver offerings, and some seem to relegate the spin characteristics to really benefit the lower handicaps with higher swing speeds, but based on this chart it's really a blanket resolution for the average golfer regardless of point of face contact. I'd also venture a guess to assume a decent percentage of amateurs are playing a fade, or outside-to-inside swing path which is raising their spin numbers a bit.

If you know your numbers, how does 204 yards of carry sound? How about the optimal 228 yards of carry? Is that something that would interest you, or are you "better than average"?

I'm in the highest percentage I think. Although I'd like to get a little more club head speed this year.

I will say I am above average though but I will say some of the numbers. Do surprise me a bit.

Cool chart though and interesting to see some numbers.

Crazy. I fit somewhere into 6% and 1% I've also seen a few swings that put me in the 0% all I know is that swing speed does little to help my chipping and pitching.

Interesting you bring this up. Yesterday while on Trackman with the club that felt the best due to weight and look I was in the 108-113 swing speed with a smash of 1.48 and with the driver that had a look and weight I didn't like I was swinging at 105-108 with a smash of 1.42.

I was previously in the top 1% I haven't checked in a lot time but I bet I'm around 105 now, so either top 7% or top 22% depending on which side of that curve I reside.

I whish I was top 7% in scoring instead.

I was previously in the top 1% I haven't checked in a lot time but I bet I'm around 105 now, so either top 7% or top 22% depending on which side of that curve I reside.

I whish I was top 7% in scoring instead.

Based on the graphic they supply later, you apparently should be.

Handicap-vs-average-driver-club-speed.png

According to my last Bridgstone ball fitting I was right at or under 100 so I guess I'm average.

Top 1%.

If only my scoring was the same.

I vary between 87 and 92 mph, so somewhere between the 15% and 22% groups. The speed in relation to index chart is very interesting.

JM

Based on the graphic they supply later, you apparently should be.

Handicap-vs-average-driver-club-speed.png
Haha, I was swinging over 110 before I ever broke 90. I was also a mile ott, and my game overall was a joke. As my swing improved my ss went down, and when I basically took a year off it plummeted.

I vary between 87 and 92 mph, so somewhere between the 15% and 22% groups. The speed in relation to index chart is very interesting.

JM
I'm right in those numbers to JM. Looks like I'm an over achiever when it comes to expected index. My Driver carry is right about 220ish.

I think what helps my index is the tees I choose to play. Usually 6000 to 6300 yards. My index would creep up if I played from 6500+ all the time.

My last fitting a couple weeks ago I was between 108 and 116mph depending on whether I went after it or not. I think my average came in around 112mph overall. That's the highest it's been in quite a few years.

My numbers are all "better than average" but my scoring doesn't follow their chart

Cool chart and fun discussion. I know from my own erratic swing, that the spin numbers have a huge impact mostly because of the out to in pattern that gets you a slice.

Yesterday, I was probably lucky to average 200 yds with my driver, with most ending in the right rough, but I had one that ended up at 274 yds (was downhill which I would attribute about 15-20 yds). Not surprisingly this was right down the middle with maybe a little draw to it.

Not sure what my swing speed is, but would guess at best it is in the low 90s. At my best when I was flirting with single digits I was probably in the high 90s and hitting the ball in the 250 or so range.

At 53 years old, I'm in the 86 to 90 range.

I'm right around 105, my index doesn't compute.....

The last two times I have been on trackman I have been in the 95-105 range depending on driver. Guess I'm average.

A couple of months ago I was in the 100-101 average range.

Last time I bothered to check it, I averaged 93 mph after a dozen or so swings with the driver.

90- 95 depending on how my back feels.

I'm in the 105 range and get up to 107 if I get after it. My index does not reflect though Haha.

Tap tap taparoo

What a timely post. Last fall I went to get my grips replaced because they were rock hard, shiny, and falling apart. I had not played since 2011 and then only a few times in the previous 5 years. I had to get more wraps and thicker grips because of injuries to my hands. Even with that my driver club head speed was 98 mph. Now that I have hit about 600 irons on the range and have some form I want to see what my club head speed will be. The swoosh is in the right place now. I want to see what my numbers are and then what I have to do to maximize my driver with the best ball for me. I will be 70 in may and will be enjoying life playing the white markers on my home coarse, which are 6030 yards total.

Much different than all of you. Bought a new driver a while back and driver speed was 75. That was not warmed up but still don't think I would go over 80. Another one that will be 70 this year so generally happy to be able to play.

I was measured at 92-93 mph head speed, and my driver carry is about 190 yards.

I've been 107-110 for years and years. Recently I cut my driver to 43-1/2". It was the best move I ever made, but I assume that my swing speed has to be a bit slower now.

I'll have to go check that out soon, but I really don't care what the results are. I know I'm hitting a LOT more fairways and losing very little distance.

95 +\- my driver #s are almost exactly what is showing in the AMA optimal chart to the right, so I guess that's the best I can do given my swing speed.

Back