Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Has anyone hit these and the TM Speedblades? If so, how do they compare?

I had the 3 - 5 in Altitudes, so am able to compare the 4 and 5 of both sets. The SpeedBlades were more forgiving for me, but I hit the Altitudes further. I actually like the 4 Alti better and the 5i SB better, so lots of mixed thoughts for me. Generally though, I'm more consistent with the SpeedBlades and see a higher ball flight.

I have and have enjoyed both. I definitely hit the longer Altitudes better consistently than I do the 4-5 Speedblades. SpeedBlades are not quite as forgiving but still offer a very good amount of forgiveness (even out on the toe). I don't work the ball so can't offer much there. I feel like I have a bit more accuracy and less dispersion with the SpeedBlades.

Jman has also hit both extensively and I'm sure has some thoughts that are better than mine.

I had the 3 - 5 in Altitudes, so am able to compare the 4 and 5 of both sets. The SpeedBlades were more forgiving for me, but I hit the Altitudes further. I actually like the 4 Alti better and the 5i SB better, so lots of mixed thoughts for me. Generally though, I'm more consistent with the SpeedBlades and see a higher ball flight.

I have and have enjoyed both. I definitely hit the longer Altitudes better consistently than I do the 4-5 Speedblades. SpeedBlades are not quite as forgiving but still offer a very good amount of forgiveness (even out on the toe). I don't work the ball so can't offer much there. I feel like I have a bit more accuracy and less dispersion with the SpeedBlades.

Jman has also hit both extensively and I'm sure has some thoughts that are better than mine.

THANKS!
I'm trying to help a friend who's in a set of AP2's and has no business, IMO, playing them. He needs something that gets more air. Too much of his distance is determined by rollout. I think he got bad advice from another friend, who is a Titleist homer, along with a fitter (not the one I use) who saw some easy $$$, especially when he heard the words "Fit me into some Titleist irons".

This guy doesn't need to work the ball. He hits it straight. He just needs to keep the same distance, or get more, and get most of that distance from the air.

THANKS!
I'm trying to help a friend who's in a set of AP2's and has no business, IMO, playing them. He needs something that gets more air. Too much of his distance is determined by rollout. I think he got bad advice from another friend, who is a Titleist homer, along with a fitter (not the one I use) who saw some easy $$$, especially when he heard the words "Fit me into some Titleist irons".

This guy doesn't need to work the ball. He hits it straight. He just needs to keep the same distance, or get more, and get most of that distance from the air.

I don't think he could go wrong with either set to be honest, especially if he needs more forgiveness than the AP2's.

I don't think he could go wrong with either set to be honest, especially if he needs more forgiveness than the AP2's.

Agree with this. Max forgiveness - go Altitudes. Decent forgiveness in a traditional look - SpeedBlades.

Guys I finally ordered a set yesterday. When I was at myrtle beach this year I went to the PGA superstore and was fitted with the stiff steel altitudes and waited till I could find a set on eBay for a good price. I found a set and watched them till I couldn't take it anymore. I bought them yesterday for 319.00 and 25.00 shipping. They are floor models so not used too much. Good deal I think.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I already have a 3 hyron and absolutely love it. I hit the whole set at the Ohio invitational this past year so I am certain I will love them!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Second round with the 'Tudes yesterday.

Just had the 4,5,6 in the bag.

Loved using them as a combo with my Mizuno JPX 800 Pros (7-SW)

Almost had my first ace.

195 Par 3.

4-Iron - landed a inch from the cup and roles out about 10 feet!

So easy to hit!

Nice dude. I've actually just put my 4 hyron back in the bag, I missed it. Love this club, lethal off the tee for me.

Nice dude. I've actually just put my 4 hyron back in the bag, I missed it. Love this club, lethal off the tee for me.

Nice!

Used it on a tight/short par 4, about 290 with a sick dogleg right at the end.

Aimed the 4 down the left side, rolled out to about 205 and I had a nice gap wedge into the green.

Also smoked it about 200 for my second shot on a par 5.

The 4 may become my go to club for second shots on par 5s.

Why pull out the 3 or 5 wood when this club is so easy to hit and flys!

So I'm a cashed paycheck from buying the 4 and 5 from Dev here on the forums. I've done some digging for the past couple hours and I'm pretty excited. I have some thoughts and question for everyone.

Basically these look great for a steeper swinger, someone who misses fat, like me. I'm excited to see if these can help me get away from the worm-decapitating, tree-seeking missiles I often hit with my longer irons, especially my 4.

My question: IF Cleveland had simply put out a 3, 4, 5 and maybe 6 iron in this set and simply called them hybrids would the subjective reactions have been/be different? When you put these next to a dedicated hybrid, they look no funkier. It seems to me though that everyone's reaction is OH THESE ARE UGLY...well, so were white drivers, cavity back woods and hex-shaped dimples.

What do you guys think? (sorry if this has been posted before)

My question: IF Cleveland had simply put out a 3, 4, 5 and maybe 6 iron in this set and simply called them hybrids would the subjective reactions have been/be different?

Probably not. For me, I've never been affected by the looks either way. I bought the 3-5 to replace the hybrids in my bag and they were great for me in spurts. If the clubs make you enjoy golf more and score better, they could be plastic for all I care.

Possibly. Not sure. I think they are some of the most unique clubs to come out because a set like this normally has more offset and more going on around the perimeter of the club. These give the golfer that struggles with too much offset (mentally) the ability to play something with an abundance of forgiveness.

Great points. I guess I'm just never quick to react to how a club looks. If there's something different, new or unique about club design my first question is practicality not aesthetics. Similar to what Philly said, if it works who cares what it looks like. Its exciting to see more golfers and manufacturers tip-toeing and occasionally flying over that line.

Great points. I guess I'm just never quick to react to how a club looks. If there's something different, new or unique about club design my first question is practicality not aesthetics. Similar to what Philly said, if it works who cares what it looks like. Its exciting to see more golfers and manufacturers tip-toeing and occasionally flying over that line.

Yeah man, like I said in my PM. From what everyone has said, the people that tend to struggle with these are the people that try to play them like a hybrid. They are a hybrid-ish head but should be played as you would play an iron.

Yeah man, like I said in my PM. From what everyone has said, the people that tend to struggle with these are the people that try to play them like a hybrid. They are a hybrid-ish head but should be played as you would play an iron.

totally agree with this, I hit these a million times better than I do any stinking hybrid

Basically these look great for a steeper swinger, someone who misses fat, like me. I'm excited to see if these can help me get away from the worm-decapitating, tree-seeking missiles I often hit with my longer irons, especially my 4.

My question: IF Cleveland had simply put out a 3, 4, 5 and maybe 6 iron in this set and simply called them hybrids would the subjective reactions have been/be different? When you put these next to a dedicated hybrid, they look no funkier. It seems to me though that everyone's reaction is OH THESE ARE UGLY...well, so were white drivers, cavity back woods and hex-shaped dimples.

What do you guys think? (sorry if this has been posted before)

On the first point, these are definitely for steeper swingers. If you are more of a sweeper, then I think the aggressive lofts are going to hold you back a little, particularly on the long clubs (say 3 and 4). That's just my opinion, but I've had a couple sets of these now. You'll see the trend when you look through the thread where people say to place the ball back in the stance.

On the second point, I don't think Cleveland would have had better sales if they just sold these as 3, 4 and 5 hybrids (and maybe even a 6). The reason is because I think the 3 and 4 are the ones that visually people have the most problems with. They're the most unconventional looking. When you get down to about the 8 and lower, you can hardly even see the black part when standing over the ball, so I don't see how these hold anyone back looks wise.

Now, having said that, if I were buying one of them stand alone, it'd be the 5. The problem would be integrating it with other sets due to the lofts and club lengths.

Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I think I'm going to put these in play again a time or two this week. I do miss them, and they do stare at me longingly everyday.

I think I'm going to put these in play again a time or two this week. I do miss them, and they do stare at me longingly everyday.

Nice.

I'll have the 4,5, and 6 in the bag today when I play with TripleBogieTim.

I feel the same way. The Speedblades are excellent clubs and have been good for me, but there are times I wish I had the extra forgiveness these offer.

Moved to amp cell set, but the 3 hyron is staying in bag for now, so solid on tee for short par 4s

JB, I've been seeing a price drop in these irons. Do you know if a replacement is coming out this year?
Possibly. Not sure. I think they are some of the most unique clubs to come out because a set like this normally has more offset and more going on around the perimeter of the club. These give the golfer that struggles with too much offset (mentally) the ability to play something with an abundance of forgiveness.

Unfortunately I do not comment on clubs coming or not coming, but suffice it to say, Cleveland releases each year at the beginning of the year and if a replacement is coming out, we will have info on it very soon.

Back