Staff bag or cart bag

kenotic

Reaction score
Handicap
I really wanted a new golf bag. So I have been thinking about a regular cart bag or a staff bag. I like stuff bag because of the flexible storage and the overall look. However, the light weight and cheaper price of the cart bag are appealing. I thought I would make a quick post to see what you guys thoughts are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I want a STAFF bag! Preferably from the Morgan Cup!

I have this one from Taylormade that is called the T2. It's kind of a cross between a cart and a staff bag.
I love it !

tm_t2_cartbag_XL.jpg

staff bag if you aren't actually going to use it for course time, just to hold clubs in and look pretty. cart bag if you're going to put some hard hours on it.

staff bag if you aren't actually going to use it for course time, just to hold clubs in and look pretty. cart bag if you're going to put some hard hours on it.

Just wondering why that is? Durability?

Just wondering why that is? Durability?

because in my experience, staff bags are kind of a pain to lug around the course.. they're nice and they have a lot of pockets but they can be really hard to fit onto a push cart or even a power cart, and you sure as hell aren't gonna carry one.

because in my experience, staff bags are kind of a pain to lug around the course.. they're nice and they have a lot of pockets but they can be really hard to fit onto a push cart or even a power cart, and you sure as hell aren't gonna carry one.

Those are good points. Thank you.

I prefer the look of staff bags over most cart bags but full size staff bags are a little too big, a mid size works well on most push carts or motorized golf carts.

Just got my first staff bag as a gift, new Ping bag. It Was a bit awkward for me at first coming from a stand bag. Now I really like all the storage and it is unique.

As the guy who gave it to me "it's the class of the course".

I prefer cart bags, getting in an out of the trunk much easier.

Staff bags are way cool, put if you walk or use a pushcart then a stand bag is the way to go

For looks and storage a staff bag, but for the ease and portability a cart bag. I have a cart bag and it's pretty easy to get around and when I walk it fits easily on my pushcart.

You're not going to carry either a staff bag or a cart bag. You lose a big pocket of a staffer when it's on a cart. Cart bags are simpler for most golf purposes. However, staff bags are awesome.

I would go staff bag.

I am a staff homer. Just love the look and all the pockets.

I was recently between a staff and a cart and ended up going with a staff bag. I have no regrets whatsoever. The quality stability and space you get with a staff bag is unmatched. It seemed that all the Cart bags were compromises.

I mostly keep my clubs in the trunk of my car, and from time to time find myself lugging the bag. My cart bag is heavy enough thanks, and really has enough storage space. If I stored my clubs at the country club and somebody else grabbed them and put 'em on the cart, then took 'em off later and cleaned them before putting them back into storage a staff bag would be great (though I'm not sure what else I would put in those pockets unless there was a beer cooler the bag guy would keep stocked up for me).

I'd vote for a staff bag - if the larger ones are a bit to large for you look at the midsize staff bags (titleist & bridgestone) both make one. Still gives you a ton of storage but not quite as bulky. I've got an older Titleist 9.5 staff bag from about 5 or 6 yrs ago and I could probably use it for another 10 yrs. They hold up so well and I love all the storage. I get some looks from time to time and will rotate in a new ping hoofer I just got for Christmas...but I always go back to the staff bag.

Also...if you don't have brand loyalty and switch different sets of irons in and out take a look at the Sun Mountain Staff bag - it is new this year and looks pretty solid.

I have noticed a trend here in the south of PGA pro's (not tour) getting away from the staff bags because they are a pain to travel with. Heck most of them only use them because equipment companies give them one to use and promote their line of clubs. I'd bet 95% would never buy one, so why should us amatuers? Just my opinion, but I think it is more of a wanting to look like the guys on TV deal.

I've had 3 mini staff bags and a few stand bags, but since I've moved to a cart bag I haven't looked back. They are so much easier to get on a cart and they leave room for your riding partner. Right now I'm using a RBZ Stage 2 bag and it has plenty of pockets and storage with 9 or 10 pockets.

My staff bag fits just fine on our carts and the carts my course uses are old. Depends on the bag, I think, but the Callaway ones fit fine, even with another staff bag next to it.

I have a stand bag, a cart bag and just bought a staff bag. All have their merits and I imagine all 3 will be used depending on the situation.

I prefer a cart bag when using a riding cart over a staff bag simply because I feel the pockets line up better on a cart bag. The huge pockets of a staff bag are nice, but sometimes useless when the bag is put on a riding cart. The pockets on a cart bag are smaller, but specifically designed so that you can use all of them.

The cart bags are more practical for a pull cart or rider but the staff bags are just too cool looking.
You do lose access to the big pocket though during the round.
Sold a couple cart bags and lightweight stand bag this year and now have a hybrid style stand bag and a staff bag.

Back