Golf Radio, or lack thereof

worst_shot_ever

I leave big divots
Reaction score
So I have satelite radio in my car, and did a category search for sports radio. None of the shows on the 5 or 6 channels discussed golf while I was listening. I realize it's not Masters week, but it is the first week of the regular PGA roster season. Is there anything out there that fills this niche? Is golf really that poorly suited to talk sport radio?

You know I've tried to let a few different golf podcasts grow on me, but I find most to just be bad.

There is the PGA network on XM 146. They have some talk shows during the week, but its not really that great of a network.

Most podcasts are HORRIBLE. In fact one that I wont mention here is just plain bad and more like an ad than newsworthy. Locally here we have two radio shows that are called Golf Hour and Weekly FL Golf and both are quite good.

Most podcasts are HORRIBLE. In fact one that I wont mention here is just plain bad and more like an ad than newsworthy. Locally here we have two radio shows that are called Golf Hour and Weekly FL Golf and both are quite good.

Maybe we need a THP-RADIO to go with THP-TV?

Very possibly down the road.

Football has everyone's attention, and not many radio or televison sports talk want to talk golf unless it has to do with Tiger. There has to be something unusual without Tiger.

Welcome to THP

On one of our local sports talk stations they have a segment with Jim Colbert each week during the golf season. It's usually pretty interesting, other than that they don't have much in the way of golf talk.

I get PGA Tour Network on XM, coverage is pretty decent.

There are a few quite good podcasts, but I won't jack this thread with them.

Last time I was driving Hubby's car, his satellite radio said something about the PGA station. My immediate reaction was to think that radio golf was one step up from radio mime.

Last time I was driving Hubby's car, his satellite radio said something about the PGA station. My immediate reaction was to think that radio golf was one step up from radio mime.

Ouch. Too funny.

The talk shows are worth listening too on the PGA network, but like Claire said, the live coverage will make you fall asleep at the wheel. I tried to listen to some of the Masters last year and could not handle it.

It cant be any more boring than listening to any other sports on the radio.

It cant be any more boring than listening to any other sports on the radio.

Im going to say no on that one. Obviously its all in the announcer, and golf radio does not have a good one. Take Vin Scully or Bob Euker in your case, I could listen to them read the directions off the back of a pancake box and it would be interesting.

I guess I can see that. Ive listened to a few NASCAR races on the radio when Im driving and couldnt watch them on TV and its downright brutal.

I can't imagine golf on the radio... I'd like to certainly listen to a weekly program with guests and what not but play by play of a tournament... hell no

Has anyone ever listened to the program in the Dallas area that the kid's dad on "School of Golf" puts on? Is it any good?

Tend to agree with the stroke by stroke of an tourney, but there's always some gossip or other related to equipment or players that could fill a broadcast, no?

I'd like hear someone talk some smack on the radio... golf is pretty prim and proper so we never hear anything

I would love to hear Sergio say Paddy sucks... just once

I can't imagine golf on the radio... I'd like to certainly listen to a weekly program with guests and what not but play by play of a tournament... hell no

I have listened on XM a few times. I'll now only listen to quickly catch up during one of the majors.
Looking forward to bowling on radio.:sarcastic:

Has anyone ever listened to the program in the Dallas area that the kid's dad on "School of Golf" puts on? Is it any good?

Tend to agree with the stroke by stroke of an tourney, but there's always some gossip or other related to equipment or players that could fill a broadcast, no?

Can you find out the name of the show here in Dallas for me, or at least the station? I'd be curious to hear what it is.

Last edited:
Thanks MO, I'll have to check that out. I'm not much for sports talk radio (I think we have 3 stations here!), but I'd listen to golf.

Back