3 wood or 16* Hybrid?

golfisforfun

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have tried a few 3 woods this year and once again, I am finding that I the difference in yardage between my 19* X2Hot Hybrid and the 3 woods is not very significant.

I get very good clubhead speed with hybrids and hit them very well.

At this point, I am wondering if a 16* or 17* hybrid might be a better option.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this loft of hybrid? I wish the X2Hot came in a 16*, but only the Pro model does...

I hit the X2Hot 19* around 210 to 220. My driver SS is 100max and I tend to be in the 250 range with that club.

I just tried the V Series and was getting 225 or so but I am figuring a hybrid might be more accurate.

Adams I know the XTD and Tight Lies do both come in at least a 17*

Cleveland made the mashie and classic hybrids in 15.5° loft. Both are very easy to hit from both fairway and tee. The price is very inexpensive if you want to test them.

I just put a 16* hybrid (JPX-EZ) in my bag. It will replace my 19* hybrid which tops out at 200 yards (I can get it longer but not without swinging harder than I want to). The 16* is getting out to 215 or so. My 3W is a little longer (230).

So, 16* hybrid is more like a 5W for me with better control and with choking down on it will cover my 19* distance. My 22* hybrid is around 190-195.

I wouldn't replace my 3W with it as my 3W is longer and I also use it a lot off the tees. As a frame of reference my driver is 240 SS is 100 mph +/- . All yardages carry but I need to recalibrate them soon.

i prefer to have around 3-4 maybe 5* of gapping at the top of my bag. My hybrid would be set no higher than 17 so i can play my 3w in the 14-15 range and would adjust the hybrid as necessary.

I like the 3w off the tee and sometimes struggle with hybrid off the tee so for me i would rather have a 3w in the 16 range if needed.

I just put a 16* hybrid (JPX-EZ) in my bag. It will replace my 19* hybrid which tops out at 200 yards (I can get it longer but not without swinging harder than I want to). The 16* is getting out to 215 or so. My 3W is a little longer (230).

So, 16* hybrid is more like a 5W for me with better control and with choking down on it will cover my 19* distance. My 22* hybrid is around 190-195.

I wouldn't replace my 3W with it as my 3W is longer and I also use it a lot off the tees. As a frame of reference my driver is 240 SS is 100 mph +/- . All yardages carry but I need to recalibrate them soon.

I would like to take a swing with this puppy. Too bad they don't exist in my local area however maybe I can run over Duluth and find one.

I used to play a 15* Adams Ti hybrid until late last year. Depending on the courses you playing I think a hybrid and it's accuracy will be more helpful.
I made the switch because the main course I now play are open & I can swing freely not worrying about being overly accurate. But the hybrid is in the "other" golf bag to scare the newer 3W into playing well :)

I've replaced the 3 wood with my 16 x2 hot pro and could not be any happier. Have you tried the pro version? Can't Cally tweak the 17 to 16 in the non pro?

I recently put a BBA 815 3 wood in my bag, dialed up to 16* and its the best fairway wood I have ever hit. I struggle at times with a 15*, so I have no clue if 1* is the big deciding factor or not.

For me, it's gonna be 3/4 wood all the way. Any hybrid under about 20* becomes extremely difficult for me to elevate off anything but a tee.

I'd say 15 yards between your 3 hybrid and 3 wood is pretty typical, and I don't think a 2 hybrid will get you any additional distance. Also, gaining accuracy with a low lofted hybrid isn't a guarantee. Certainly possible I guess, but the lower you loft a hybrid the harder you'll find it to hit. If you're going to primarily use that club off the tee I'd say stick with a 3 wood, but if you're going to be playing it from the turf a lot as well then a 2 hybrid might not be something bad to dabble with.

I have the X hot 1 hybrid 16. I took out the 19 for it and might use it exclusively without 3 wood. The distance I'm seeing with 3 wood is definitely longer, but the rare times I need that yardage is not worth having it in the bag, so I choose accuracy.

I would like to take a swing with this puppy. Too bad they don't exist in my local area however maybe I can run over Duluth and find one.

I bought one from Rockbottom 4 weeks ago for $80 (stiff shaft). I just picked up a second 2H and 4H on eBay for about $70 each for a second set I keep remote.

As Mizuno has replaced them with the JPX-850, they are going for a good price. I hit the 850's at a demo day Saturday. Hard to see ball flight (snow covered ground, hills and overcast sky) but from what I could see I liked the 850's but I didn't think they were different enough from the EZ's (which I have been playing and like a lot) to justify the premium.

I am entertaining the thought of taking my 15* 3wood out of the bag and turing the 19* 910H down to 17.5 while adding a 21* 913H. Last season I turned the 15* up to 16.5* and hit it much better, but then the distance between the 3w and 19* was minimal. For some reason I just cant seem to hit that 3wood set at 15 very high or consistent, where the hybrid gets up in the air a little easier. Was also thinking about turning the 3w back to 16.5* and just taking the 19* outta the bag. More than likely will have to wait to get out on the course to see how I am hitting the 3w

Adams Pro comes in 16, 18, 20 and 23. I freaking love these clubs, and you can get them super cheap now.

I used to play an '11 taylormade 16 degree hybrid. I think I had it set to 17. I also had a 3w, 15 degree for a while, but have recently switched to a 16 degree FW. I then took the hybrid out of the bag to add another wedge. For me there wasn't enough difference between the hybrid and 3w. Hybrid was better out of the rough 3w was better off the tee and they were about the same off the fairway. For my game the tee shot was the most important. If I'm in trouble in the rough, I have no business trying to hit a 200+ yard shot with my hybrid. I'm not too concerned with yardage gapping at the top end of my bag. I have good gapping with my irons up to 200 yards. If I have a 30+ yard gap between my FW and driver that's fine with me.

For me, it's gonna be 3/4 wood all the way. Any hybrid under about 20* becomes extremely difficult for me to elevate off anything but a tee.
I 100% agree with this, 20° seems to be the cutoff for me as well.

I game a 16* hybrid (X2Hot Pro) and love it. Fits that traditional 3W spot for the bag and distance is what I need in that spot. It has allowed me to put a 20.5* Heavenwood in the bag & simplify the top of the bag.

I'm using an older 14 degree hybrid and love it. Slightly shorter than my 15 degree 3 wood and I have a 16 degree 4 wood, but I like the accuracy of the hybrid. Doubt I ever go back to woods.

You will have to threaten my family with death for me to ever play a 16* or lower hybrid. I find no benefit with that low of a lofted hybrid over a fairway wood.

A couple of my competitive buddy's play 16 hybrids and love them > key is flat lie angle heads and slightly open faces. I have a Ping i15 17 and it's one of my go to clubs for certain courses. If you're looking for something new, try the callaway XR Pro 16, looks sweet and super flat lie angle (anti-hook).

Back