Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.1
Mrs Drumdog is being tested for celiac disease. Celiac disease is a genetic autoimmune disorder in which people cannot eat gluten because it damages their small intestine. Is anyone here familiar with or have this same issue?
I am looking for help in changing our diets to a full gluten free diet. Her full diagnosis should be back in the next 7-10 days, but I want to get a jump on things. Thanks !

My neighbor had to go gluten free a few years ago. The good news is there is a lot of gluten free products out there now, a few years ago, that was not the case. Sorry, I don't know much more about it than that, good luck to you and your wife.

My wife's life is completely controlled by her food allergies but she's not necessarily celiac. It can be a frustrating road and requires a lot of patience and perseverance on both of your parts.
Unfortunately I don't really know the ins and outs of the diet requirements as I've lost track after these last few years and my wife's tolerances are constantly changing.

Best of luck to you and your wife!

Sorry to hear she's going through this man. Hope you make a smooth transition in diets!

I am looking for help in changing our diets to a full gluten free diet.

Great approach!

I lived with a girl who was affected by this but with a little planning, it barely got in the way and this was a few years ago, the product ranges available now are much greater and more widely available.

Good luck to you both with it, if she gets the diagnosis, hopefully something you can deal with between you.

Best of luck man, my aunt has Celiac, as well as her Daughter-In-Law.

On the plus side though, once they have diagnosed as Celiac, and make the changes, they feel so much better.

My fiancée gas a gluten sensitivity. Diet isn't too difficult. There's gluten free replacements to most things.

I'm not hugely familiar with it, but I can recommend that there are numerous types of cuisine that are entirely gluten free - Thai cuisine is one of these. It is not ENTIRELY gluten free, so you have to be careful and double check your recipe/check with the waiter at restaurants, but since there are very few bread based dishes there are a lot of good options, and the noodles used in Thai cuisine are almost exclusively rice based. There are lots of other food types that tend to be gluten free as well, but Thai is just the first good option that comes to mind. You can definitely still eat lots of great food on a gluten free diet! Good luck man!

I'm not hugely familiar with it, but I can recommend that there are numerous types of cuisine that are entirely gluten free - Thai cuisine is one of these. It is not ENTIRELY gluten free, so you have to be careful and double check your recipe/check with the waiter at restaurants, but since there are very few bread based dishes there are a lot of good options, and the noodles used in Thai cuisine are almost exclusively rice based. There are lots of other food types that tend to be gluten free as well, but Thai is just the first good option that comes to mind. You can definitely still eat lots of great food on a gluten free diet! Good luck man!

Most soy sauce contains wheat. Learned that the hard way.

Most soy sauce contains wheat. Learned that the hard way.

Very true, but most Thai dishes use fish sauce, shrimp paste, or something similar instead of soy sauce. Chinese and Japanese much more frequently use soy sauce, so those are much more touch and go than Thai.

That being said, you definitely still have to check at restaurants that there isn't any soy, but more often than not they are indeed safe.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the well wishes. I have been doing a lot of research on this the last couple of days and have found several restaurants in our area that offer a gluten free menu, so that's good. As far as grocery shopping, I am hoping to find a gluten free store. I went to Safeway this morning to do some test shopping and it's like trying to find a golf ball in deep rough. You know it's there, but you really have to look for it. I did find some stuff, but it is a real pain in the rear. Oh well, we will do what it takes.

Thanks again gang !

My Wife & Son both have Celiac. If your wife does have it & you have children, they need to be tested as well. It will seem over whelming at first BUT its not. Our house is 100% gluten free. Some things will need to be replaced, anything you have ever cooked bread in, toaster, toaster oven, etc. (for the oven you will need to scrub the grates real good). We got rid of anything that contained gluten & even some Gluten Free stuff that did not due to the possibility of cross contamination.I t's becoming a lot easier to find gluten free products, but you still have to check them. There are 2 types of Gluten Free products, those that are made in an entirely gluten free facility and those that are gluten free BUT are made on the same lines or same facility as products that contain gluten the latter could cause some cross contamination. Google will be your friend i find myself googling products all the time.

she wrote this but has not updated in a year(but is right now)... http://theceliacs.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all the well wishes. I have been doing a lot of research on this the last couple of days and have found several restaurants in our area that offer a gluten free menu, so that's good. As far as grocery shopping, I am hoping to find a gluten free store. I went to Safeway this morning to do some test shopping and it's like trying to find a golf ball in deep rough. You know it's there, but you really have to look for it. I did find some stuff, but it is a real pain in the rear. Oh well, we will do what it takes.

Thanks again gang !

Ok in all honesty the only way for a restaurant to offer totally Gluten free food, is to basically have a totally separate area for Gluten Free offerings, that being said my wife often talks to the manager or Chef to get a better understanding of there definition of Gluten Free, most of the time she is satisfied with there answers but its always good to talk to someone at the establishment, what we have seen is a lot of people here "Gluten Free" and think she is on a fad diet, so using the words Celiac and/or disease get there attention a little better. Personally i think eating out is a risk no matter what they say, but as long as she is comfortable with the establishment I am fine with it.

Ok in all honesty the only way for a restaurant to offer totally Gluten free food, is to basically have a totally separate area for Gluten Free offerings, that being said my wife often talks to the manager or Chef to get a better understanding of there definition of Gluten Free, most of the time she is satisfied with there answers but its always good to talk to someone at the establishment, what we have seen is a lot of people here "Gluten Free" and think she is on a fad diet, so using the words Celiac and/or disease get there attention a little better. Personally i think eating out is a risk no matter what they say, but as long as she is comfortable with the establishment I am fine with it.

We will take all this great advice to heart. Thanks again !

My dad has celiac's. I use this as a quick reference if I'm not sure if he can have. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/MY01140

Also start to read labels some foods are gluten free but are made in the same area of foods that have gluten so there is a chance for cross contamination.

Erica and my son are GF. Would be glad to offer help. It's not that hard to adjust, but it's more expensive.

There are websites out there that will help you make some choices and I'd start there.

Mrs Drumdog is being tested for celiac disease. Celiac disease is a genetic autoimmune disorder in which people cannot eat gluten because it damages their small intestine. Is anyone here familiar with or have this same issue?
I am looking for help in changing our diets to a full gluten free diet. Her full diagnosis should be back in the next 7-10 days, but I want to get a jump on things. Thanks !

not to be nosy BUT did she get her results? Celiac?

Back