How did you do on your 2013 golf goals?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I'll start.

I achieved a lot of my goals this year. What do I want to do next year?

• Break 80 a few times. I did it one time this year (in July) and want to see it at least a handful of times in 2013.
  • Get my handicap down to 14.0 or less. I got it down to 16.0 in July but couldn't keep it there.
  • Have zero three-digit rounds. I had a couple this year, as I seem to every year.
  • Play more. I played a LOT in 2012, so it will be tough to match, but as long as I play at every opportunity, that will suffice.
  • Have more rounds in the 80s than I do in the 90s.
That's a good start.

• I broke 80 a total of six times. Only once from the blues and once from the whites. The others were on Date Nights with Jacqui when we played the golds so we could play together. So even though I did it more than ever before, I call this a fail since I didn't reach three times from my normal tees. I did score 80 three of my last four rounds from the whites and one other time this year.
  • Finished the year with a 13.2 handicap. Got it under 14.0 with at least 20 rounds counting for the first time on September 9. Got it to 14.0 for the first time on August 19. I was 12.9 in July, but that was early and only counting two of my eight rounds, so that didn't count. I think I stayed under 14 since September 2. I did get to 13.0 briefly.
  • I had exactly zero three digit rounds. I tried my best on September 15, 22 and 29 when I shot 95, then 97 then 99. I had completely lost my swing, my confidence and wasn't sure what was happening. I stepped up to the golds for a couple of rounds and posted two sub 80s and righted the ship. First year that I stayed under 100 for a whole season. I think I hit 100 a couple times last year, once at TCI.
  • I only had 48 scores this year but didn't get started until May 8. So not too bad for 7-1/2 months. Was concentrating more on my work.
  • 21 scores in the 80s, 9 scores in the 90s, 6 scores in the 70s. 12 nine hole scores (11 in the 40s, 1 in the 30s, a 37)

My goal was: I start preparation for my 2013 golfing season this Tuesday. It starts with a series of lessons from my new course pro. My primary goal is simply to get back to my natural swing, which is a draw. This is my main and only focus for now. I'm not concerned about my handicap, as long as my shot shape returns to what feels natural for me.

I obtained my goal of getting back to drawing the ball but everything was so out of sync. I had a pitiful year to say the least but I'm really pumped for 2014. My goal for 2014 is to stay healthy and the good stuff will follow.

Get the self confidence to play in a group with strangers.
Play in club medals/comps.
Get a handicap (29 years after first playing!!)

Did all three but still a bit disappointed as felt I could have done better.

Played in maybe 15 competitive events, met a lot of nice people, no d***s and one really angry guy. Even won the work pairs which was a highlight.
Got a handicap of 24.0 that I thought was very generous, played to it a few times but had five raises to 24.5. I found this disappointing as I have tended to play better outside competition so will definitely be working to lower that next year, target is 18!

I did pretty good this year except for putting. I shot in the mid 80's a few times and that's great for a rookie like me. I've only been golfing for 2 years. I have a feeling 2014 will be the year of putting. Picking up a birdie ball putting mat and reading Dave Pelz putting bible. I hope it helps man because my putting is ugly. Im cutting across the ball bad.

1. Maintain my SDH and drop it to 7 or lower.
2. Fix my green side bunker game. It sucks. A green side bunker is an automatic bogey or double bogey for me, and sometimes worse.
3. Improve my short game and increase my scramble percentage.
4. Set a new personal best. Current is 77.
5. Win my golf league bracket and make the end of season tournament.
6. Place (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th) in my flight in my club championship.
7. Attend either the Mesquite Amateur in Mesquite, NV or the THP Outing and Demo Day in Orlando. Will depend on what my work schedule is on which one I can attend.
8. Make at least one THP invitational in 2013

1. Achieved - Set a new low GHIN of 7.3
2. Give myself a C here. Took a sand lesson in the spring and greatly improved my ability to get out of traps. I've improved but my sand saves did not change much. Still room to get better.
3. Another C. Improved my scramble percentage 2% but was looking for something closer to 5%. Still room to get better.
4. Achieved - Set a new PB of 74.
5. Achieved - Won my bracket and my flight and made the end of season tourney.
6. Failed - Did not place in my flight. Finished 9th out of 13 people.
7. Achieved - Was able to attend both the THP Outing and The Mesquite Amateur
8. Achieved - Attended the Atlanta Invitational.

Looking forward to making new goals for 2014 and seeing if I can reach them.

- Play 50 rounds, minimum.

Not close. Will add number later

- Lower my index to 11.5 or under, my lowest ever.

13.3. & I think I'm better than ever.

- Attend at least 2 Invitationals; the calendar is killing me so far.

I made Ohio, Illinois, Missouri & Vegas!!!

- Work my short game, particularly chipping from tight lies.

Still killing me. I have a lesson Tuesday.

- Break 80, gross.

77 in August & so many close rounds!

- Enjoy and experience the Morgan Cup as a volunteer.

Calendar & life got me.

- Break 90 in half of my tournaments this year.

I think I had only 1 round over 90 in a tournament this year!!

- Get a Memphis get together for THP'ers. (Will need help!)

This year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

1. Break 85. Succeeded, shot 84 twice. Nearly missed on this one as both 84s came within the last month.

2. Lower my handicap to 15. Close, got it down to 16.

3. Play more. Succeeded, played more rounds in 2013 than I did in the previous 5 years combined. No doubt that this contributed to the lower handicap and improved scores.

I want to get to scratch or better in 13, and i'm going to get a teacher to help me with my putting. I avg 30+ putts a round and if I can fix that alone I'll get there, I miss more 5 footers than you can imagine, and it's the difference in Birdies vs par for me.

I didn't get anywhere near where I wanted to be, , I'm in desperate need of some putting help and will continue this quest into 2014. Now more than evr I need a stroke that will stand up to pressure of the highest level. I may go see Toski!

Here is what I posted last year:

I want to:

1-eliminate blow up rounds of 90+
2-shoot consistent 80's
3-break 80
4-get an eagle
5-improve from the tee box (the key to meeting my other goals)

1-Check, In my last 50 rounds I have 2 in the 90's...we'll call that success.
2-Check, scoring average of 84
3-Check, shot a 75 and two 78's
4-Negative :banghead: I must have lipped out 6 or 7 eagle putts this year though.
5-Check. My tee game is still not spectacular but compared to where it was at this time last year it's much more consistent.

So this year I've done everything I set out to do except bag a damn eagle. Those lipped out putts really sting now.

My goals are as follows:
- Improve the short game. I am talking GIRS increase from 100 and in, more up and downs, and more sand saves
- Get the putting down. Less 3 putts, in fact eliminating 3 putts if possible.
- Become a single digit HCP

I am going to put in a lot of work this offseason at the driving range. I want to become a single digit HCP so bad and I am going to work my hardest to make it happen, and I believe most of my strokes are left on/around the green

I think I achieved all of these goals. At one point I was down to a GHIN 5 HCP, but a little bout with the shanks at the end of the season brought it up quite a bit. I am happy with my 2013 season

You tore it up for a few weeks there, Taylor. I was in awe of the scores you were putting up.

Im new here but I wanted to lower my handicap to 6-7, I also wanted to break 80 at courses other then my home. I accomplished both! have a wait a few months for the 2014 season to start but with my new fitted irons I have lofty goals for next season......I cant wait!!

Im very happy I found this place, I will be staying around! I hope that THP has events in the northeast as I would definitely like to attend some events

Any more updates?

I wanted to actually learn to play golf this year, as opposed to just sort of gouging the ball around the course. In that regard I hugely succeeded. I wasn't even sure what I normally scored, so getting a baseline, taking some lessons, learning the mechanics of how to hit a golf ball in the direction I wanted. I kind of figured shooting lower scores was years away, but slowly but surely they've descended. So after finding out I normally shoot over 100, breaking 100 became my goal.

This year I have real goals. Averaging 86, averaging fewer than 36 putts, have a double-free round, get to 40% GIR, I have a couple other ones that I haven't quite put into metrics.

Oh, there's also this thing called The Morgan Cup. I want to win that. So that's a goal of mine for 2014.

Here was my post:

For 2013, my goal is to get a little more serious about my game. Need to be much more consistent, so my blow up scores are in the low 90's as opposed to high 90's. I've recently joined a club and will keep playing and practicing once a week so long as weather allows, but am also getting fitted for clubs and will take a lesson once every two months for the input.

By the end of the 2013 season, I want to be able to play at least 5 rounds in a row below 95. I am fine with my better scores staying the same, but will focus on minimizing the bad scores. Specifically, driver needs to be more consistent, bunker play needs to improve and 100 yards in must be consistent, not streaky.

...For the most part, I accomplished these goals. Driver was pretty consistent, bunkers were much better and the Pelz swings really helped me improve inside of 100 yards. Scoring wise, I had some pretty good rounds, but the bad scores were still higher than I'd like. Most importantly, I have more concrete goals this year and have a much clearer idea how I'm going to reach those goals. Generally, full swing consistency and mental fortitude are themes this year. If I improve on those, I'll reach all of my golf specific goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My goals were -
to play/practice more then I ever did in years past
Improve on chipping/short pitching
I don't run a cap but wanted to consistently shoot under 90 at my locals

How I did?

I didn't at all play a ton vs many people here but I Played more than ever for me and what I can :) but spent more money than I should :(

My chip/pitch short stuff improved respectably :) But my scores didn't drop because of the blow-up holes in any and every part of my game :(

I only broke 90 twice :( .. I was headed in that direction as my first sub 90 was very early in the spring but if not below 90 than I was at least hanging low 90's. Then I took lessons and I went backwards big time for much of the rest of the season. Started to climb my way back in the last third and actually shot a new PB of 84 which I posted about proudly on the forum. :) But that's it as I didn't see sub 90 again before old man winter kicked in.

In the end I feel I have much unfinished business and overall a bit disappointed that with the efforts I made I never saw the scores drop to what I wanted. I just hope next year that the resources of time and money will allow me to continue the efforts.

I believe my only goal was to break 80, and probably get an eagle.. no eagle yet, but I've broken 80 around 10 times :)

Actually, one of my goals for 2013 was playing as often as possible (with baby #2 arriving at the end of the year) and was happy to get out 50+ times.
I was hoping to become more consistent and create a repeatable swing but but didn't see too much improvement and most of my golf epiphanies didn't last.
I became a better student of the game and even though it didn't translate to better scores, at least, most of the time, I knew what I was doing right and wrong and why.
I completely upgraded my equipment and, although not all the latest and greatest, really like my new setup.

Play a lot. I did that.
Lower my hcp. I did that. (not as much as expected)
Take alot of lessons. Did not do that, zero lessons....
Play a wide range of courses. Did not do that.
Write more here at thp. Did not, my semi crappy english keeps making me nervous.

Play a lot. I did that.
Lower my hcp. I did that. (not as much as expected)
Take alot of lessons. Did not do that, zero lessons....
Play a wide range of courses. Did not do that.
Write more here at thp. Did not, my semi crappy english keeps making me nervous.
Don't worry about that! Post away!

I did not post goals for 2013 but it was really over before it ever got started. Came down with right elbow tendonitis, the old lateral epicondylitis or tennis elbow.

Pretty much eliminated any range practice as I wasn't going to stop playing and already had a mid-May Hilton Head vacation planned.

There were a few nice rounds and I had a lot of fun meeting THPer's in Springfield for the casual Ohio get-together.

I did not post goals for 2013 but it was really over before it ever got started. Came down with right elbow tendonitis, the old lateral epicondylitis or tennis elbow.

Pretty much eliminated any range practice as I wasn't going to stop playing and already had a mid-May Hilton Head vacation planned.

There were a few nice rounds and I had a lot of fun meeting THPer's in Springfield for the casual Ohio get-together.
How's your elbow now? All healed up?

My two defined goals were to break 90 and get my first birdie. I got the birdie and shot a PB of 94. I might have been able to break 90 but our weather dropped off the end of the Earth and the season ended.

In spite of my 50/50 goal achievement, I still feel this was a very good year because I did a ton of short game work in my back yard/field and had a eureka-moment golf lesson that improved my swing immensely. Hopefully we'll get a whole bunch of global warming and the courses will open early this spring!

I did pretty well with my goals.

1) start playing golf - check!
2) spend a lot more time and money on tinkering than I ever thought possible - check!

Back