Persimmon fairway woods/drivers

#Cookie that thing is Beautiful. Is that original condition or refinished? Looks original.....

It's an original, my stepdad gave it to me recently so I could display it in the man room.

Cookie if you ever want to sell that, I'm your buyer. I have an old 70's hogan vinyl bag with a set of hogan apex irons and woods that I pieced together from garage sales when I was a teenager. I plan on restoring them all some day, but I'm always looking for great condition hogan clubs from that era.

I need to check yours out someday! This one was given to me so I can't part with it but I don't blame you for trying. :)

That is great addition cookie !

My 1st set were MacGregor Golden Bear woods & blades. I was so bad at the time, I couldn't appreciate how cool they were.

Then my wife sold the entire set for $10 in a garage sale when I wasn't home. :angry:

My 1st set were MacGregor Golden Bear woods & blades. I was so bad at the time, I couldn't appreciate how cool they were.

Then my wife sold the entire set for $10 in a garage sale when I wasn't home. :angry:

These were my first set of clubs too. Got the entire set (1,3,5 wood and 3-pw) for $115. Modern equipment sure does make the game easier!!!

I'm tempted to hit this old Hogan Edge driver but it's in near perfect condition and I just can't do it.

Guaranteed 210 yards straight down the fairway!

I'm tempted to hit this old Hogan Edge driver but it's in near perfect condition and I just can't do it.

Just doesn't seem right to have a graphite shaft in that classic wood. Didn't think graphite shafts came out until metal heads were introduced. Never saw one back in my teenage years when I was rocking the persimmon driver and laminate fairways.

Just doesn't seem right to have a graphite shaft in that classic wood. Didn't think graphite shafts came out until metal heads were introduced. Never saw one back in my teenage years when I was rocking the persimmon driver and laminate fairways.

Surprised me as well but then I didn't think much of it since the OEM matched on the shaft, head, and grip.

Surprised me as well but then I didn't think much of it since the OEM matched on the shaft, head, and grip.

I'm sure it is authentic to that club. Ben Hogan equipment was always cutting edge. Plus I highly doubt anybody in the last 25 years could master the whipping string around the hosel except a seriously old school clubmaker. Had 3 sets of their forged irons and damn do I miss them!

I'm sure it is authentic to that club. Ben Hogan equipment was always cutting edge. Plus I highly doubt anybody in the last 25 years could master the whipping string around the hosel except a seriously old school clubmaker. Had 3 sets of their forged irons and damn do I miss them!
I still have one :banana: but they are a little newer than that driver. Used them in my re-shafting thread. Love anything Hogan.

JM

I need to check yours out someday! This one was given to me so I can't part with it but I don't blame you for trying. :)
they are dirty from years of garage duty, but I will bring them out the next time we play (I won't be hitting them!). I even have a dozen old Hogan golf balls to go with :)

Cookie!!! That thing is a real beauty, just wow!!

That thing is awesome cookie!!!

KG

Just Tapping Away

feedback on shaft

feedback on shaft

I'm excited, I'm really really excited....I have just hit a "real" fairway wood for the very first time in my life.

All I can say is just wow, what an absolute joy to hit these clubs. I bought a practice set of Ben Hogan Blades for 25 bucks (percussion slazenger/hogans) and it came with Ben Hogan speedslot 2, 4 and 5 persimmon fairway woods (At least I think they are persimmon). They were a sort of bonus for me and I didn't expect much of them when I picked them up for the first time. Five swings later I was in love, these things are soft, really soft probably softer then the pillow I sleep on. That soft feeling probably has to do with the sound aswell which is just awesome, a real pleasing soft sound instead of a metal ping.

I see no reason why I wouldn't play the Speedslot instead of my Callaway Diablo 3 wood. The Speedslot feels much better, sounds much better and is much much easier to hit off the deck then the Diablo. The only thing I couldn't really compare yet is distance, I was playing the Speedslot into a very strong wind so distance was difficult to judge but looked similar to the Diablo. I actually loved the fairway woods so much I'm already hunting ebay for a driver. The driver has always been my weakness, judging how easy these fairway woods are to hit compared to the Diablo I'm hoping a persimmon driver might be equally "easy" for me.

It's been a short relationship sofar but I'm in love with these "wood" woods. Searching the forum I only see a few very old threads regarding persimmon woods/drivers, are there more fans out there or am I just weird that way?

I have been playing with my old laminate cobra 2 wood baffler. It hits great if I do my part.
When I do my part and the club performs exactly as I expect, I get a huge amount of shaft wobble.
Can't figure it out. Any of you have the same feedback from your persimmon or laminate fairway wood?
I also have a 6 wood, cobra baffler fairway and it does not shake or wobble when struck properly.
Any first hand advice?

Thought I would show you mine since you showed me yours ;)

013_zpsb3bc6d5f.jpg

014_zps6b95e3ba.jpg

028_zps34204ca1.jpg

027_zps5389a97b.jpg

026_zpsb2c40b3a.jpg

025_zpse2f5f492.jpg

032_zps2e4a1707.jpg

033_zpsccf86748.jpg

017_zpsd7677e9f.jpg

016_zps57f9f982.jpg

019_zps5a5c1db9.jpg

018_zps3c463f97.jpg

Those are laminated, you can see the different layers on the face. You'll have to be very careful with those because they have a tendency to crack at the neck.

I grew up playing real woods, and can remember when Harry Taylor first released the metal driver. Good luck with them.

First thing I thought when I saw the pics. They are definitely not persimmon, which means they are laminated maple. I still have 3 sets of persimmon woods and a couple MacGregor Eye-O-Matic drivers.

And for the epic thread bump of the day.

Just for sh!ts and giggles. It has a steel shaft and I think with a fresh grip could have swung faster.

Look for some Ping eye 2 persimmon woods that have heal toe balance...kinda like GBB with the slider weight toe side, now metal wood have discretionary weight to spare lately

Look for some Ping eye 2 persimmon woods that have heal toe balance...kinda like GBB with the slider weight toe side...lol

No thanks I'll stick to modern clubs but it was fun.

Back