Rocketballz vs Amp D irons

BigWilly087

Reaction score
Handicap
First post here, really enjoy what I've read here so far, specifically in the Rocketballz and Amp review threads. Ive been golfing for 5 years, but in the past have only got out 10 - 15 times a year, that will change this year so I'm upgrading my irons, but don't want to spend a ton as I am still a novice, and so am looking at these slightly outdated, but well reviewed, sets.

I don't have a handicap, but will say that if I break 100 I felt like I had a great day. Driver is the original superfast and is the best club in my bag. Irons I play are the Rac OS, and I am crazy inconsistent, which is why I am upgrading. I tried both 7 irons at Dicks, both felt good, no noticeable difference. That may change with the low irons but I wasn't able to test so that's why I am asking. My swing speed averaged 85, so I'm going with regular flex. My other measurements were pretty stock according to the guy at Dicks, so I'm not going to worry about fitting and can buy online. The Amp Ds are $50 more.

Any advice? I'm not worried about shot shaping, just want to hit it straight and need a forgiving club. The majority of my mis hits are when I over swing and top it, I have a hard time slowing down and getting a consistent swing through the ball, that's more me than the clubs, but that may be good info to know when recommending one set over the other.

Thanks in advance.

Any reason you want the Amp D's and not amp cells?

Any reason you want the Amp D's and not amp cells?

No not really, I was pretty dead set on the rbz but the golf guy at dicks suggested the amp Ds as a better club, on sale for 299. I think I read that the Ds are a Dicks exclusive so maybe he has some incentive to sell them, not sure on that.

I really liked the Amp's. Gamed them for a little while. Got a great deal on the amp cells and for me they were even better than the Amps.
For $300 you can get a new set of Amp cells on Ebay.

No not really, I was pretty dead set on the rbz but the golf guy at dicks suggested the amp Ds as a better club, on sale for 299. I think I read that the Ds are a Dicks exclusive so maybe he has some incentive to sell them, not sure on that.

Dick's can be tricky like that. Keep in mind that most people working the golf section at Dick's are certified fitters and are pushing what they're told. I would find a Golfsmith, Golfgalaxy, Golftec, or even see the pro at your local course and get properly fit. That way you get the right set up for you and it's the first step to lower scores. Next would be lessons.

As for the Amp vs RBZ... I never liked the RBZs too much. They went a mil e but had little distance control. If you're looking for a set to get you down and don't want to break the bank, look at the rocketbladez, x hot from Callaway, even a set of Burner 2.0 ($299 @ most stores now. The bladez and x hot are around $499 now and will probably drop a bit more by march. Much better club for the money than the RBZ or Amp D. The 2.0s are sweet. I still play with two guys who went and bought a new set because they loved them so much.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask more questions. Everyone here has been where you are and we are more than willing to help.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Is 85 mph swing speed with the driver or the 7 iron?

Is 85 mph swing speed with the driver or the 7 iron?

That was with the driver. I was always between 82-89.

I see that you're in Utah, where about? I'm a USU grad but am now in Pittsburgh. I must say, the golf was much better out your way. Birch Creek was my favorite course and was relatively inexpensive, a course like that in Pittsburgh would be either way expensive or private.

Last edited:
Dick's can be tricky like that. Keep in mind that most people working the golf section at Dick's are certified fitters and are pushing what they're told. I would find a Golfsmith, Golfgalaxy, Golftec, or even see the pro at your local course and get properly fit. That way you get the right set up for you and it's the first step to lower scores. Next would be lessons.

As for the Amp vs RBZ... I never liked the RBZs too much. They went a mil e but had little distance control. If you're looking for a set to get you down and don't want to break the bank, look at the rocketbladez, x hot from Callaway, even a set of Burner 2.0 ($299 @ most stores now. The bladez and x hot are around $499 now and will probably drop a bit more by march. Much better club for the money than the RBZ or Amp D. The 2.0s are sweet. I still play with two guys who went and bought a new set because they loved them so much.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask more questions. Everyone here has been where you are and we are more than willing to help.

Thanks for the input, lessons are most definitely the next step!

I also tried the 2.0s, and they seemed almost identical to the RBZs. From what I read in the RBZ thread, now that they got rid of the goofy oversized 3-4i they are even more similar to the 2.0s. Am I missing something? I can get a 7 club set of 2.0s for $299, but found RBZs for $250 for 8 clubs online. I just hesitate to get a generation prior for more money if they are so similar.

Are the bladez a good "beginner" club? I was under the impression the blades were a bit more advanced

I typed up a previous reply but it hadn't shown up yet, apologies if I double post...

Thanks for the tips, lessons are definitely my next step, hopefully spring.

I also gave the 2.0s a shot, they were good but seemed very similar to the RBZs, and include one less club in the set (at least at DSG). From what I gathered in the RBZ review thread, or that the 4i has been updated to get rid of the goofy oversized backing, the RBZs are even more similar to the 2.0s. For a similar price, I'm hesitant to get the previous generation. Am I missing something?

Regarding the bladez, I was under the impression they were for a more advanced player, is that incorrect?

I asked about the club if it was the 7 iron I would recommend trying the stiff to see which you hit better.

I'm in Utah County. I haven't had a chance to play Birch Creek, there are a lot of courses on my list for the coming year.

But it yes the courses are very inexpensive here. Thanksgiving point is probably the most expensive in the area at around $60. Also can't complain about the distance the ball travels in the altitude.

They are definitely not limited to Dicks, but I would go somewhere you could demo them head to head and see which ones you like better (if you are dead set on those two models). Demoing and getting fit can ensure you are getting the most for your money and your golf game and temper will thank you later.

I have not hit the Amp D irons, but I really like the RBZ irons. The only problem I had with them was the 4 and 5 irons, I just wasn't consistent with them even though I wasn't opposed to the idea of more of a hybrid iron in those slots. Apparently I wasn't alone, because in the newer HP line the 4 and 5 irons match the rest of the set.

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and purchased the RBZs. It seemed like most of the negative feedback was with the 3-5 irons, and now that they've been matched to the rest of the set, they appear to be a slight upgrade to the 2.0s which everyone seems to love.

Next is lessons (just found a highly recommended pro in the Pittsburgh area), then i'll start looking at maybe a 5 wood and/or a 3 rescue, along with a new sand wedge since it isn't included with the RBZs.

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and purchased the RBZs. It seemed like most of the negative feedback was with the 3-5 irons, and now that they've been matched to the rest of the set, they appear to be a slight upgrade to the 2.0s which everyone seems to love.

Next is lessons (just found a highly recommended pro in the Pittsburgh area), then i'll start looking at maybe a 5 wood and/or a 3 rescue, along with a new sand wedge since it isn't included with the RBZs.

Awesome! Good luck and congrats on the new irons. Keep us updated on things.

Back