PING Glide Wedges - THP Review Thread

Im sure these will perform even better than they look!

For the first time, I can say that I legitimately like the looks of a PING wedge. Very nice!

I was able to hit some with these and they're very nice. Half-shots with the face laid open were just perfect! Great feeling wedges- better/softer, more of a forged-feel than the Ping Tour S Rustiques I have.

Great photos James.

Love the clean looks of these. Really like Ping's simple WS,SS,TS system, very similar to Cleveland's three dot system (a very good thing).

I can't wait to hear what you think about these wedges. I've always played Cleveland wedges before but saw these beautiful wedges during a ping fitting day and made me want to get some.

I love the looks of these I really want one but going to wait till fall or winter to use next year, I love bright colors, designs etc, but wedges are made to work and these look the part.

Spend some good getting to know you time with these yesterday, range time, chipping/putting green, and on the course.

• Love that PING sent in all three grinds in the same loft. I've mentioned it in here before, as have others, but it bears mentioning again, it going to allow for a full review on both the wedge design as well as the sole effectiveness.
  • The CTP works, again. I know the metal was changed with these to create a "softer feel" but anyone with any experience with PING's use of the CTP knows the role it plays as well. Definitely a more dense feeling at impact, no harshness, no loud click, no high pitch, and all of this will lead to many talking about how "soft" they are.
  • Unlike some other wedges I have reviewed with a similar feel, I do get different feedback across the face audibly and tactile, its not blurred to all feel the same. Good thing IMO.
  • Heavier head feeling for sure, which is surprising given the D4 weighting. But, easy to tell where the head is at all times.
  • Good spin greenside, and solid from the rough. Honestly, ALL wedges spin, technique is the key there. That said, some wedges fit a style better and one can find more spin there. For me, I got some nice little check on all three of them while messing around with some different shots. Not a lot of action into greens on full swings yesterday, but the greens aren't quite healed from aeration yet and there's still a little sand which would inhibit some of that.
  • Aesthetically, as we have seen in here it'll be love or hate. Some thought the Tour's were too busy, and now some think these are too plain. IMO, this is the best looking wedge they have put out in a long time, its simple yes, but lets face it, it also says classic PING. Personal preference is king here for sure.
  • Set up really well to the ball, all three grinds actually have a little heel relief, even the WS (will take a pic showing it compared to my full sole RTX 2.0 CB next time).
  • Still the best satin finish in the business. I have no issues saying that.
  • Its interesting, I was able to pull off all sorts of shots, even the WS off the hardpan (except one thin one...boo). Sure, the TS has more versatility but with that you get the sharper leading area so for some swings that will be no bueno. The SS hits both targets with solid bounce yet solid versatility too for moderate AoA's, the WS obviously offers the most bounce and the least relief which benefits those steeper swings.
  • I know some say grinds don't matter as much as we think they do, and to an extent I agree and disagree. Many here absolutely overthink it, but there is such a thing as a more effective grind for YOUR swing. I think the issue comes where people assume they need low bounce in one wedge, high bounce in another, etc. Yesterday I was the best success with the WS, which with my natural wedge swing being pretty steep, is no surprise. I also manipulated my swing to different angles and the TS and SS shined with the right AoA. Are they all useable for any swing? Sure. But our big issue is not maximizing what fits us best instead of what is fanciest. I fall victim to it often, yes, where you play matters (we see lots of greenside hardpan here) but I openly admit I overthink the bounce and underthink how much bounce the swing needs.

Anyways, early thoughts, more soon. And this next weekend a LOT of THP'ers will get time with them and hopefully be able to give their thoughts.

Great info James.
I've never spent anytime with Ping wedges so I'm definitely curious to compare it to the CB 2.0.

Like you, I love the finish and overall look of these.

Some good work here Jman. I think these look great and the satin finish does make it look more classic Ping.

Great information. Looking forward to your thoughts as you use them more.

Solid write up man. I'm a huge fan of the CTP Ping has.

Sorry to want you in the elements but I hope you play in some wet conditions and can give some feedback on the moisture repelling finish. That sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Great first thoughts James. Much aporeciated.

Love that initial writeup Jman. I'm one who loves the looks and I'd definitely give the WS a long look.

l had a chance to demo these extensively last weekend. Liked them. Didnt love them tho and I dont know why. Loved the grip, and the new shaft. Id dont spin the ball well so its hard for me to comment on that. I loved the look of them. Feel is subjective, they were muted at impact, I thought they were softer than the tour gorge but who knows. I was pushing these left a bit and the fitter said its possibly the length. Jman u thought they were heavy? I actually thought they were light compared to other Ping offerings, granted I didnt have anything to compare it with in hand, but I just remember thinking they felt light. Again I liked them but werent smitten with them.

Last edited:
Been playing the ping glide for over a month. Great wedge predictable which is important and I can spin that 40 yard pitch with no prob. Good wedge, it is what you would expect. No magic though, magic comes from technic.

l had a chance to demo these extensively last weekend. Liked them. Didnt love them tho and I dont know why. Loved the grip, and the new shaft. Id dont spin the ball well so its hard for me to comment on that. I loved the look of them. Feel is subjective, they were muted at impact, I thought they were softer than the tour gorge but who knows. I was pushing these left a bit and the fitter said its possibly the length. Jman u thought they were heavy? I actually thought they were light compared to other Ping offerings, granted I didnt have anything to compare it with in hand, but I just remember thinking they felt light. Again I liked them but werent smitten with them.

Head heavy, yes. They sit at a D4 in the 58, which is the same as the Cally Tour Grind but lower than the RTX 2.0 (D6). However, they are definitely more head heavy feeling than the Tour Grinds, really close to my 2.0 CB's for me actually.

Keep in mind, what loft you tried matters, D4 in these 58's, but progressively lighter in swing weight to PINGS pretty standard for them D2/D3 in the 47-56 range.

Head heavy, yes. They sit at a D4 in the 58, which is the same as the Cally Tour Grind but lower than the RTX 2.0 (D6). However, they are definitely more head heavy feeling than the Tour Grinds, really close to my 2.0 CB's for me actually.

Keep in mind, what loft you tried matters, D4 in these 58's, but progressively lighter in swing weight to PINGS pretty standard for them D2/D3 in the 47-56 range.
Ahhhh good point I was hitting the 50 the most. Thats y it felt light. U are wise

Nice write up, Jman. I gamed the Anser wedges for a while and liked the head but didn't get along that well the DG Spinner.

Solid write up man. I'm a huge fan of the CTP Ping has.

Sorry to want you in the elements but I hope you play in some wet conditions and can give some feedback on the moisture repelling finish. That sounds interesting.

Absolutely will dude.

Nice write up, Jman. I gamed the Anser wedges for a while and liked the head but didn't get along that well the DG Spinner.

Ugh, I wish everyone would stop putting that shaft in as stock. The move to the CFS wedge for them is a good one, but the CFS shafts have always been super solid performers IMO.

I like the concept and they look pretty good to me.

I think more people underthink sole design in wedges than overthink it. Most people don't even understand how the sole/bounce work to begin with. We can bring overanalyzing into the conversation I guess, but the way the sole is shaped and angled will always have an effect on how the club plays. Finding what matches your swing and the conditions you play in is important if you want to get the most out of your wedges. And that doesn't even bring sand play into the equation. Much more important than something like shaft for example.

That said, are you seeing differing ball flights at all? Example for me would be the K grind SM5. Compared to a M grind I got a higher/softer flight on mid range pitches more often than not. They interacted with the sand quite differently as well. Anything you've noticed there with these?

I like the concept and they look pretty good to me.

I think more people underthink sole design in wedges than overthink it. Most people don't even understand how the sole/bounce work to begin with. We can bring overanalyzing into the conversation I guess, but the way the sole is shaped and angled will always have an effect on how the club plays. Finding what matches your swing and the conditions you play in is important if you want to get the most out of your wedges. And that doesn't even bring sand play into the equation. Much more important than something like shaft for example.

That said, are you seeing differing ball flights at all? Example for me would be the K grind SM5. Compared to a M grind I got a higher/softer flight on mid range pitches more often than not. They interacted with the sand quite differently as well. Anything you've noticed there with these?

Not thus far, other than changes on pitches due to easier manipulation of one over the other, like the TS being easiest to open, SS next, and the the WS. But time so far has been limited.

I think a better way to put things would have been too many overthink grinds because they don't know enough about bounce and how they should be using it in wedges other than their preconceptions of where they should have low bounce or high bounce rather than how it plays a role in their swing. Take me for instance, bounce is my friend with my steep wedge swing. I dunno, its a good convo.

It's a great conversation. I think in general people lean to a lower bounce than they'd benifit from because they attribute their low point misses, thins/blades especially, to something other than a dodgy swing. The perception that a lower leading edge comes from low bounce gives the mental boost I guess, right or wrong. Then we see heavy contact getting no forgiviness at all. What's funny is that a really flat leading edge is probably their worst enemy in that case and we know where the overwhelming preference lies there - something I preferred for a long time.

I just wouldn't apologize or whatever for thinking about it. It's a valid piece of technology and always will be. Sole design has a big effect on contact and corresponding ball flight.

Another one that springs to mind is that U grind on the MD2's. That's such a floaty wedge for me and though I thought it was really fun, I had issues with distance control.

Back