PING Glide Wedges - THP Review Thread

Ugh, I wish everyone would stop putting that shaft in as stock. The move to the CFS wedge for them is a good one, but the CFS shafts have always been super solid performers IMO.

I liked the CFS in the i20 and would have preferred them to the DG Spinner. Glad to see them here.

Outstanding review thus far Jman, and the pictures are simply amazing! I'm very interested in these, especially with the w/s version. What are anyones thoughts on that Sole option with a "heel relief" grind? I play the cleveland RTX wedges (2Dot in 58, 54, 50), but they are becoming very worn and should be replaced soon. I can lay all three of these clubs open to an extent, but find that I dig too much in our often wet conditions -- and usually end up moving the ball forward and opening the face slightly to prevent. Limits the distance on more full swings, so I was hoping wider soles would help out there.

Looking forward to more.

Steve

These look sharp, the SS looks and sounds right up my alley.

A looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of time was spent with these this weekend in Texas finsishing up some thoughts.

The feel is there, its what I fully expected coming in to reviewing a PING wedge with the CTP in them. Its a nice, more muted, sensation off the face with no harsh click. As per usual I will venture that the common comment will be "I can't believe its not forged" or something like that (we see that commonly with PING irons too, S55, i20, i25).

Spin is good, through all three I didn't seen any wild variations. Clearly, sole selected and its match to ones swing can and will yield different spin results for some, but the fact is all wedges spin. These are no different, they do a great job from a variety of lies.

I'm not seeing massive flight differences or distance variations, but thats not to say some users may not see a little more distance from one sole to the other, it all comes back to fit.

For me the WS is the most fun, which is a surprise I'll admit. But the three soles really do give some nice simplicity to finding what one needs, I enjoyed each one of them this weekend. Off the hardpan lies the TS was perfect for that little touch/pick shot. The SS is the all around performer which balances bounce/interaction with versatility to still open the face easily. The WS is just a straight forward wedge, with enough heel relief to let you open it in non hardpan lies with no issues, and it is a whiz out of the thick rough and ESPECIALLY the sand.

It was funny taking all three wedges to a shot, but did it a lot to really try out different things.

The grip is cool, I'm not a big fan of PING grips, but I've always liked the concept of marks/elongation in the wedge grips. Should be good for those who need help making sure they get their hands in the same place time and again when they choke down. Actually, it made me choke down and try those shots more, which was good for me.

Played in wet conditions (dew/drizzle/damp) and the finish repelled the water (it beaded up) all over the head and face, while its a cool concept, it makes sense in science, I just don't know that for most am's it will make ANY difference as our contact points and turf interactions just vary so much. But, its a great thought by them.

Ugh, I wish everyone would stop putting that shaft in as stock. The move to the CFS wedge for them is a good one, but the CFS shafts have always been super solid performers IMO.

The entire CFS line is solid. I'm digging the CFS wedge in my Glides. Very controlled trajectory.

Its a good true temper made wedge shaft.

I always find myself drawn to shafts that feel like S300/400 or Project X. Think it's my comfort zone. The CFS Wedge fits right in there for me feel wise. It feels stiffer than I expected but I haven't had any loss of distance or spin. The fact that I haven't ballooned a shot yet is a big plus.

I gave the stock grip a full month of play but didn't fall in love with it. It was pretty decent for a stock grip just didn't fit what I'm used to feeling. I'm swapping out for my regular Pure Pros this weekend. They just feel a bit softer and grippy in my non gloved hands.

Last edited:
Very cool of you to get out in the wet conditions and see the water repellent in action.

Good stuff Jman. Thanks!

Really cant wait to spy a set of these in Aus definitely interested in them.

Its a good true temper made wedge shaft.

True Temper makes the CFS shaft. What if anything is it similar to in their line up?

Im kind of curious about how they will wear. I have a 4 year old Tour S 56 that still looks and plays great. Wondering if the softer steel will make a difference. Any comparisons with Eye 2 XG or Gorge?

True Temper makes the CFS shaft. What if anything is it similar to in their line up?
No idea really.

Im kind of curious about how they will wear. I have a 4 year old Tour S 56 that still looks and plays great. Wondering if the softer steel will make a difference. Any comparisons with Eye 2 XG or Gorge?

They wear like a ping wedge, phenomenally. Its one thing ping always gets right.

Have a 60* headed to me.

Really excited to put this through the paces.

My brain is ready to explode waiting for my set. Sitting on 14 business days now and I can hardly stand it :banghead: :angry: :crying:

What tools are available to help you choose the right type of sole? Grinds and bounce have always been confusing enough to me that I've trended toward the variable sole technology wedges. Not sure I'd get the choice right here where they also added the width of the sole into the equation.

I would say demo day would be #1
There is a run down on their website on which sole type typically fits which type of swing. Steep get X, shallow get y, hard pan/dry conditions get Z etc.

What tools are available to help you choose the right type of sole? Grinds and bounce have always been confusing enough to me that I've trended toward the variable sole technology wedges. Not sure I'd get the choice right here where they also added the width of the sole into the equation.

They've actually simplified it. If you look at the breakdown of the soles on their site or in the OP it describes what swing each is intended for. For example, I'm steep with my wedges (and everything else) so the WS fits me best, and it actually does in performance as well. A neutral attack is the SS, and a shallow swing is the TS. Their goal is simplification, and it honestly does so really well IMO. That said, I know that some change their swings with their wedges and it may not be all that cut and dry (plus, we do love to overthink things as golfers). Conditions you play in have a role as well, but I still think they spell all of that out very well, in fact its something PING has always been very good about.

Can anyone compare the Glide to a Vokey?

Thought this was a nice video from Ping.

Any THPers have thoughts on these after gaming them awhile? I got a 52 and 60 today and am pretty excited to give them a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look cool, the wedge grip is great. I put some midsize dyla-wedge grips on some Eye 2 wedges.

Back