Membership entrance fees

arwin

Reaction score
There are a few courses around here that I play quite often and I was thinking of joining as a member this year.

There are 3 main courses that are part of the same management company.

One of my options are to join one of these courses for $2k for the season.

Another option is to join all 3 courses for the same fee but there is a $10k refundable entrance fee.

My concern is that I put down the deposit and something happens to the company (they go belly up) and I lose my deposit.

Have you guys had any experience of something bad like that happen when joining a course?

Fwiw, I don't think I would join just one course because I would need some variety of courses. I'd rather join all 3 or just pay as I go.

With so many courses closing id be concerned about it going belly up.

There are a few courses around here that I play quite often and I was thinking of joining as a member this year.

Another option is to join all 3 courses for the same fee but there is a $10k refundable entrance fee.

My concern is that I put down the deposit and something happens to the company (they go belly up) and I lose my deposit.

Have you guys had any experience of something bad like that happen when joining a course?

Fwiw, I don't think I would join just one course because I would need some variety of courses. I'd rather join all 3 or just pay as I go.

I would do some research on the management company. If you can't find enough to justify putting 10k down, then definitely don't. If you have the money, sounds like that would be the best option, but I would read through all the fine print and ask around if there are others that have done this deal and how they felt/feel about it.

Are the courses all in good shape/get a lot of business?

Refundable Membership Fee to me these days reads "We have cash flow issues that we think we can correct." I would avoid it unless you are okay with losing your $10k.

First off, refundable.memberships have been around since the beginning of time. 10k for 3 or 2k for one doesn't make sense. Are you saying 10k to be a member for a year or 2k for same membership but no coin back. To me that a no brain if you can layout 10k.

Ate there other fees after the entry fees. They use the money as a loan with the hopes you stay longer than a year. The spend the money and pay you out with cash in the account of fund that has been set up.

If the courses together are worth the cash, do it. If one has more to offer than the others, then I'd look at that club. Lots to think.about but it's a good place to be in.

I would check all my options including Country Clubs around here you could get a lot more for less. The things that matter would be:

- Amenities - what do you get for your money- that would include everything, clubhouse, restaurant, club storage, lessons with the pro, all that stuff.

- Golf privileges - what time can you book? Can you get on the golf course on weekends? How much does it cost for guests?

-Total cost. Membership and per round fees? Membership and one fee and you can golf daily if you want?

It really is worth checking all the options out as some of the local CC's are on leased land so a share is not as expensive as you might think.

Last but not least I wouldn't worry about too many local clubs going belly up, you are more likely to get a good deal than have a club go belly up around here.

I would never do something like that.

$10K for the right to pay $2K a year to play golf in todays economy should not be a norm.

And allthough it is "refundable" if they do go belly up, you will not see that money.

Its 2k to be a member at just one course. If I want access to all three courses, then its 10k deposit plus the annual membership fees which is 2k.
There are no other fees required.

The courses seem relatively busy during the summer but they also have buy 3 rounds get one free on Mondays and Tuesdays

10k is a lot to put out there...if they went belly up this season, it would cost me 12k! Yikes

If you drop the 10k and want to play at the 3 courses next year is it only $2000 or do you take your refund and drop back it into the membership again?

What are the 3 courses?
What is the single course?

I wouldn't do it. I don't see any reason to tie up that much money just so you can pay the annual fee. Join a private club instead and if you decide to leave, see if you're able to sell your bond and recoup a portion of your initial investment.

12k just for access to busy courses, another 2k each year thereafter and you still have to pay for rounds???

Do throw in a gratuitous reach around?

If this was the only golf in a 30 mile radius I would consider moving or giving up the game before I paid these fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12k just for access to busy courses, another 2k each year thereafter and you still have to pay for rounds???

Do throw in a gratuitous reach around?

If this was the only golf in a 30 mile radius I would consider moving or giving up the game before I paid these fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you pay the annual fees its all you can play. Ive never really had any issues finding tee times with these courses.

But after further thought, I think I'm going to skip the membership route. 10k is just too much to tie up with the risk involved.

Thanks for the input guys

OK, that is totally different then what I read in your opening post. when do you get the money back? To me it like joining a club with three courses combined with a savings account. Bu The point of going belly up in this golf climate is a real possibility as others have said. Good luck!
Its 2k to be a member at just one course. If I want access to all three courses, then its 10k deposit plus the annual membership fees which is 2k.
There are no other fees required.

The courses seem relatively busy during the summer but they also have buy 3 rounds get one free on Mondays and Tuesdays

Once you pay the annual fees its all you can play. Ive never really had any issues finding tee times with these courses.
Maybe I'm not understanding this properly. The pay for 3 get 1 free on Mondays and Tuesdays made it look to me like it was not all you can play, that you were still paying for rounds, which meant the 10K + 2K each year was not really a membership but just a fee to get access.

Maybe I'm not understanding this properly. The pay for 3 get 1 free on Mondays and Tuesdays made it look to me like it was not all you can play, that you were still paying for rounds, which meant the 10K + 2K each year was not really a membership but just a fee to get access.
Sorry. I should have been more clear. The play 3 rounds and get one free is a special that is offered to the general public.

I used this special last year and got 3 or 4 free rounds! I think I'll just stick to that. It will also allow me to play other courses in the area

I'm guessing it's a semi-private, and that the pay for 3 get 1 free on Mondays and Tuesdays is for non-members.

*edit* whoops I left my office for a little bit and had the thread open, didn't see that Arwin already responded.

Refundable Membership Fee to me these days reads "We have cash flow issues that we think we can correct." I would avoid it unless you are okay with losing your $10k.

I agree 1000%. I would avoid that.

There are other full private courses in my area that is a 22k equity share and 6k annual golf fees. In addition to that, another requirement is that you need to spend at least $900 more at the restaurant!

Also, there's another course here which held the LPGA event here last year and they want 44k entrance fee that is non refundable whatsoever! Once you pay it, say bye bye to that money.

Crazy what some of these courses are asking. But I guess thats the 'country club' mentality

Back