My very first set was a set of American Golf. 3-pw dark gray with green and red paint. I spent everyday of the summer on the executive 9 when I got them. What a summer that was, man that brings back memories.

Jack Nicklaus "Double Eagles" handed down from my dad.

Oh my goodness my father gave me a set of RAM irons and some wooden woods. I can't even remember what they were called. If I could glance back into the past I probably looked like Bagger Vance.

My first set of golf clubs were the Wison Sam Snead Blue Ridge model. That was lie 40 years ago :bulgy-eyes:

My first set was, I believe, in 1982 and they were MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear irons (3-PW) and matching Persimmon woods in 1-3-5. Played those for 10 years, took a few years off (92-95) and came back in 1996 and went all Callaway Big Bertha.

I had a set of Texan Classic driver through putter, I loved them and I clearly remember going to a shop and dreaming about the burner superfast as it had just come out, thinking I would never have clubs that good, now I look at my bag and laugh.

My first set of golf clubs were the Wison Sam Snead Blue Ridge model. That was lie 40 years ago :bulgy-eyes:

I mentioned earlier that two of my friends bought that set (woods and irons) in 1978. One was left handed, one was right handed. For some reason I think they got them at K-Mart.

I mentioned earlier that two of my friends bought that set (woods and irons) in 1978. One was left handed, one was right handed. For some reason I think they got them at K-Mart.

Mine were hand me downs from my Dad, who played golf briefly after he retired. I liked those old clubs :thumb:

Wilson Staff Dynapower w/ Aluminum shafts. Guessing early-mid '70's. Still have the 2 iron, wish I had the whole set!

I just started playing in 2011 and became obsessed instantly. All of my equipment came from golfsmith used.

Bag: Older Golfsmith model carry bag. No longer made.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge
Fairway wood: Callaway Diablo Octane 3W. Callaway X 5W with steel shaft.
3H: Callaway Diablo Edge
Irons: 2008 Callaway Big Bertha with ibrids.
Wedge: Callaway X Tour 56*
Putter: Odyssey F7 (looked like the starship Enterprise)
Ball: Wilson XD.

I was told callaway had very good clubs for beginners. The only equipment I was decent with were the irons. I disliked the rest of my bag and that's when I started researching equipment and never stopped.

I regretted giving those irons to my brother for a while. They were so easy to play with.

sent from The Note 3

Last edited:
First set that was purchased for me, not borrowed from a family member; set of Dunlop clubs from Walmart circa 1997. They were actually pretty good. Had a driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 3-PW, and I threw another wedge in there.

Mine were hand me downs from my Dad, who played golf briefly after he retired. I liked those old clubs :thumb:

As were mine, very very used. Wilson persimons & Golden Bear irons, thought I was bad ass!

My first set was some garbage dunlops that came in a set of odd-numbers that i bought from Play-It-Again in Athens, Ga when i was in HS back in 1994. 1w, 3w, 3-5-7-9i, pw, putter. They were absolute crap. I used them for a summer and then my mom's fiance gave me a set of his old clubs, some Spalding Cannons from the late 80s that worked ok. I used those into the early 00s when i stopped playing. I think my sister has those Cannons now - she took em from our mom's house several years ago for a company golf outing. Gave the Dunlops to a roommate back in 97 or so. Hopefully there is a hell for bad clubs, because that's where those things belonged!

My first set was a ladies graphite set that I received for my 12th birthday. Don't have many details or pictures I'd have to ask my parents...

Callaway X-12 irons. Got them 2nd hand from a friend and gamed them for years.

Some hand-me-down Powerbuilts with a graphite shaft that was more like a soggy noodle. Used them for years tearing up some local par 3 courses.

Ahh, my first set brings back memories. I didn't have any money, so I played with a set of hand me downs that came with a rotted out bag.

The irons were Al Geibergers that actually came with aluminium shafts. These may not be exactly the ones, but they're pretty close:
$T2eC16RHJF0E9nmFSH)HBRU(O(PQF!~~60_1.JPG

I think the irons ran from 2-PW and were paired with persimmon 1, 3 and 4 woods, had a stand alone driving (1 iron) and no SW. I had a putt putt putter.

They were tough, tough clubs to hit. Looking back, it is no wonder that I hated golf.

Some hand-me-down Powerbuilts with a graphite shaft that was more like a soggy noodle. Used them for years tearing up some local par 3 courses.

ArmyGolf: My second set was actually new knock off clubs with soggy noodle graphite shafts. I'm not so sure they were any better than my first set. Dispersion was absolutely horrible.

Got a varsity letter in golf my freshman year of high school in 1974 with my first set. It was a Spalding set from a Gemco store, 1W,3I,5I,7I,9I, putter with a canvas bag that was about 6 inches in diameter and one little pocket that held about 5 golf balls and a few tees.

I still have mine. It's a Driver to SW Adams Tight Lies set and then bought an Odyssey dfx 1100. I keep that set around as a loaner set for anyone who wants to see if they'll like golf or not.

Ti Tech Gen II from Walmart for $99

My first set were a copy of some Ping irons, they were called EEE 3 ZZZ and they served me well for a short time. The metal was terrible though and a few heads broke off mid swing so my dad got me a new set of Spalding irons, lol.

My first set were some Lynx persimmon clubs from my grandfather when I was a little kid that I really don't remember much about. I do remember the first set I bought when I decided to really start playing in my late teens were burner knockoffs, which I replaced very quickly later that Summer once I was fully infected with the golf fever with DCI 962's

My first set was a Spalding brand (I think) from around the 1970s. Got them at a garage sale for $5, rust included.

My first set I picked up at a pawn shop was a set of Ping I3 blades for $150. God knows I didn't have the game for them, but I didn't know any better. They were red dots thats 2* flat I believe, and I'm 6'3" what a combination. I learned how to play the weak fade and enjoyed the punishment until the wife got me a set of Ping G15's for christmas. I wish I still had them, and I would get them bent and game them.

Back