Callaway XR Pro Irons Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review, Dan. These definitely seem to optimize what you can get in forgiveness in something with this profile.

Great writeup as always Dan. This line seems to be a great fit for better players that want the streamlined look and the workability of blades, but with more distance and forgiveness. I really like the looks of these clubs as well, Callaway's done a great job in that department across all of their lines over the past few years.

Solid review Dan. The 360* cup face is very intriguing and the distance gains can be beneficial to all. The forgiveness for a "players iron" is also intriguing. How much distance will be gained depends on the golfer, but you've put together a great review that should answer a lot of questions.

Great review Dan, love seeing how Callaway brought the cup face over from the Bertha line to help shoot rockets off of the face....nice work.

Excellent! The technology really is amazing. Bringing a players iron with so much forgiveness was unheard of not to long ago. I appreciate you touching on the scuffing, although it's cosmetic it's important to note. I've saw this with the Apex Pro as well. It has had no effect on playability. But in some ways it's like the first scratch on a new car. It's a bit of a gutt check. I'm not one to buy into a club longer or any kind of that marketing schemes, it's onenof those I have to see it with my swing to buy off in it. Thanks for the review!

Stellar review Dan. A great read and you covered the entire spectrum anyone would look at when pondering these irons. Good little note on the scuffing at the end, I saw that in the demo I used last weekend. While I noticed it, I got over it pretty quickly after seeing how the club performed. The real deal, as some would say.

Really didn't need to read another glowing review of these irons, as I'm already on the fence about making a purchase. Great review Dan, and sounds like a real winner from Callaway.

So happy Dan got to review these irons. Great review as always and they really should be demo'd by everyone!

Nice review Dan. Interesting technology in a player iron. I have only seen this at the pro shop and havevt hit them yet. I will say they don't have the look of the typical player iron which I think helps with the confidence at setup. These havevt been on my radar but might need to give them a swing to see if the technology benefits me and my swing

If this thing is a players iron, then it's the first one I've been able to hit with a good deal of consistency. I've gone back and forth to a guy with a fitting cart over the past two weeks and hit the XR and the PRO with several different shafts. I can flat out kill the PRO (XP 95 or the stock V90). In fact, I'm going to try and hit it again today. I'm pretty much trying to talk myself into them, I think. I've hit the demo 7i with the Recoil, the two shafts stated above, XP105, TT DGs, and a PX 6.0. While the ball flights changed, the end results really didn't. I'm no player, but this iron is legit, and perfectly fits in the 'better mid handicapper' genre, IMO.

Great review! I can't wait to get my set. The forgiveness was great when I had my custom for these clubs.

I've intentionally abstained from reading anything about these irons, I have no doubt I would want them if I read Dan's review.

Good review Dan...I noticed you kept comparing these to the X Hot Pros in the review. Are the XR Pros similar to the X2 Hot Pros or are there many differences?

Very nice review. I have had the xhot pros for a couple of seasons now and they are great clubs. No desire to change but these do look like a nice upgrade.

Very good review from Dan. Really interested to give these a try, just worried the overall packaging would be a bit too compact for what I'm used to with the Apex irons.

Extremely well done Dan.

The item that really stood out to me the most and also the most important to me is the distance that was still achieved on mishits. As a golfer that has more mishits than center contact, being able to see minimal distance loss is critical and I'm glad to see that performance in a non SGI profile.

Very good review from Dan. Really interested to give these a try, just worried the overall packaging would be a bit too compact for what I'm used to with the Apex irons.
You should check out Jman's review of the XR irons.
Good review Dan...I noticed you kept comparing these to the X Hot Pros in the review. Are the XR Pros similar to the X2 Hot Pros or are there many differences?
Sorry to say I didn't hit them to be able to compare.

Enjoyed the review Dan. This sounds like an impressive choice for a players iron set. Hearing that there is indeed some forgiveness with these is good news.

Great review, Dan. And great timing from my point of view as I just got a shipping notification from Cool Clubs for my XR Pros with my fitted KBS Tour shafts. I can't wait to put them in my bag.

Great review Dan. These look and sound like some really good irons. I've never been a fan of the Callaway stock grip and have always replaced it quickly in the past.

If this thing is a players iron, then it's the first one I've been able to hit with a good deal of consistency. I've gone back and forth to a guy with a fitting cart over the past two weeks and hit the XR and the PRO with several different shafts. I can flat out kill the PRO (XP 95 or the stock V90). In fact, I'm going to try and hit it again today. I'm pretty much trying to talk myself into them, I think. I've hit the demo 7i with the Recoil, the two shafts stated above, XP105, TT DGs, and a PX 6.0. While the ball flights changed, the end results really didn't. I'm no player, but this iron is legit, and perfectly fits in the 'better mid handicapper' genre, IMO.

How do the two XR models compare as far as distance and forgiveness?

How do the two XR models compare as far as distance and forgiveness?
Distance is on equal ground, I think.
I have a bit of trouble dealing with the offset of the XRs when I hit them, but they do seem to go just as far, and are solid if straight all day is your goal. I was able to work a draw and slight fade (not my cup of tea) into the mix more with the pro.
Seriously, it just comes down to how comfortable you are with the offset, the shape, and the sounds of the two. I could probably get used to the offset in the non-pro and be fine either way, and would be happy to do so.

Great review Dan. As its known, I am quite the fan of this release and that means a lot as I have never really gotten along with Callaway irons until these. The right mix of forgiveness and distance in a players cavity style iron.

Back