Cobra Bio Cell Irons Review Thread

As long as you do not look at the back of the iron, the aesthetics in hand of the head are surprisingly good IMO. And this is coming from a guy that has been dead set on playing nothing but forged irons for the past 35 years (blades for about the first 15 and cavity back Hogan / Mizuno for the past 20).

I think Cobra does this better than most. The irons tend to look very good where it counts.....at address.

The aesthetics on these clubs just blows me away, they took a great set of irons, the AMP Cells, and made them even better. The styling on these Bio Cells are incredible!

Quick update. I'm just leaving Golfsmith after putting the BIO through the paces......WOW..... This club flat out gets it done. I have more thoughts to share, but put me in the "thoroughly impressed" corner.

Quick update. I'm just leaving Golfsmith after putting the BIO through the paces......WOW..... This club flat out gets it done. I have more thoughts to share, but put me in the "thoroughly impressed" corner.

Love the sound of this. I am a fan of hard data.

Some great initial thoughts in here, keep it up testers. Quick question for you all, is anyone currently gaming the Cobra Amp Cells and if so can you offer any comparison between the Amp Cells and the Bio?

Looking forward to following along with this thread. I purchased my first Cobra product this past summer and really have enjoyed the results so far.

I'm amped, celled up, and biodexed to see what shapes up early this year! These first thoughts on this testing excite me and can't wait to start piecing the puzzle together.

I love the great jobs all the testers are doing so far. The feedback you guys have given has m very giddy to get my hands on these. Im looking forward to hearing more of everybodys thoughts

Full Disclaimer:
I am in the middle of a swing change (which is causing everything to go left) so I will be comparing them to my current irons and providing subjective analysis. I will continue to update as I progress and maybe go to a fitter for shaft advice.

Recap
I was able to put the Bio Cell through its paces today after playing sim golf with fireitup. I hit 30 shots each with my Burner 2.0 and the Bio Cell and took and average of the best 10.
AveragesTotal DistCarry DistBall SpdBackspinVertical LaunchYds Offline (All Left)
Burner 2
Bio Cell

As you can see very little difference from a numbers perspective. In retrospect (since I am a stat geek) I should have also recorded and calculated the standard deviation of the yards offline measurement but I did not. I will say that the Bio Cell did have a slightly tighter dispersion with the bad shots being far less bad. To get essentially identical results from a brand new club with different head specs (lie angle, offset, loft, etc) to a club I have played over 30 rounds with plus practice time is impressive. I am hoping to see continued improvement from this but I happy with at least equal performance for now.

I did notice during the test that the Bio Cell was more forgiving laterally across the face. I tend to miss on the toe end of my irons and the Bio Cell did not feel as jarring when contact drifted toward the end.

I have been implementing forward shaft lean at address and one thing I like is that still can't see the cell design on the back of the club whereas with my Burners the back is exposed which I find distracting.

All in all a good first test with much more to come. Thanks again for this fantastic opportunity.

Some great initial thoughts in here, keep it up testers. Quick question for you all, is anyone currently gaming the Cobra Amp Cells and if so can you offer any comparison between the Amp Cells and the Bio?

Looking forward to following along with this thread. I purchased my first Cobra product this past summer and really have enjoyed the results so far.

If all goes as planned Crest, I will be comparing the Bio Cell to the Cell at my local store. This of course is pending of the store to move the bicycles from the simulator. Someone else may be able to give you some info sooner, time-wise though I am looking at late next week hopefully.

Looks wise, the difference between the Cell and Bio Cell is quite immense IMHO. If they didn't both have Cobra on them, I would never have thought they were made by the same manufacturer.

If all goes as planned Crest, I will be comparing the Bio Cell to the Cell at my local store. This of course is pending of the store to move the bicycles from the simulator. Someone else may be able to give you some info sooner, time-wise though I am looking at late next week hopefully.

Looks wise, the difference between the Cell and Bio Cell is quite immense IMHO. If they didn't both have Cobra on them, I would never have thought they were made by the same manufacturer.

Nice man. You tell them that you have serious business with the simulator and you need them to move the bikes right away! Haha

I am excited to hear about your reviews and thoughts, you also like hockey so that means you HAVE to be the most intelligent tester in the group! Congrats again and have a great time with the testing. I did my first last year about this time and was so nervous but it really was an awesome experience.

Great start to the reviews so far guys. Awesome photos and initial thoughts. Not sure if any one will know but are the cell+ irons a replacement for the amp cell pro's or are Cobra carrying on with both lines?

Great start to the reviews so far guys. Awesome photos and initial thoughts. Not sure if any one will know but are the cell+ irons a replacement for the amp cell pro's or are Cobra carrying on with both lines?

ACP's are still current in the line. Bio Cells replace Amp Cell and the Bio Cell+'s essentially are more of a Amp Forged replacement

ACP's are still current in the line. Bio Cells replace Amp Cell and the Bio Cell+'s essentially are more of a Amp Forged replacement

Bragger, now get prepared to get busy fellow Cobra Stud! Unleash the Kraken!

Jman may know better but I believe the + replaces the pro's.

*****Part II - Launch Monitor Comparison*****

I was able to get the BIO Cell on the LM this afternoon after work. The guys at my Golfsmith think I practically live there so when they saw me come in with clubs in hand they knew where I was headed. A couple of the guys I know came by and I showed them the club. To say they were shocked was an understatement. They asked me how did I get my hands on this & I proceeded to explain the awesomeness that is THP and I was lucky enough to put this through the paces and share my thoughts via a review. Once the drooling was over I got down to business.

Here are some comparison specs from my first post:
BIO Cell 6 iron - Loft- 26.5 ° Length- 37.75" lie-62° Swing Weight- D2
Adams CB3 Black - Loft-29° Length- 37.875" Lie-61.5° Swing Weight- D3

After a warm up I proceeded to hit 40 balls with each club. My thinking was this would give me 10 solid swings out of the bunch to get my average swing data I was looking for.
My 6iron is my 155-165 club. If needed I can "step on it" and get 175, but when I over swing it usually ends with more harm done than good so I stay conservative.

First up my CB3. These are all the averages of the ten best balls I hit:
SS= 73.5mph BS= 106.93mph LA= 16.0 degrees SS= 612.2rpm BS= 5038rpm TS= 5105rpm Carry= 147.90yds Total Distance= 166.89yds Offline= 0.71yds

These were about the numbers I expected. I did have a few 153-155yd carries in there & a few 168-172yd total carry distances. A few shots that I tried to "step on it" gave me ball speeds in the 108 range with carry yards around 155 & total distance yards around 170 -173.

Next up Cobra BIO Cell. Again these are the averages of the best 10 balls I hit.
SS= 75mph BS= 109.4 LA= 17.5 degrees SS= 650rpm BS= 4987rpm TS= 5071rpm Carry=157.65yds Total Distance= 173.61yds Offline= 0.59yds

This is where I stepped back and simply said 'WOW'. I could not believe I was seeing these numbers. I was putting the same swing I put into my CB3's & was stunned to say the least. I'm sure some of the increase has to do with a lighter shaft & a slightly stronger loft with the BIO, but I never expected these types of averages. Again a few shots I tried to "step on it" and it gave me ball speeds averaging 110-111mph, carry distances in the 162-163yd range & total distances in the 179-183yd range. Some numbers that I will take all day everyday and twice on Sunday!!

One thing that I will note are the spin numbers and launch angles. I am not sure what the "ideal" 6iron spin numbers or launch angle should be & would love it if some of the more veteran testers can help educate me a little more.

Overall I'm flat out impressed with this club. I will also note that at address I do have a forward shaft lean at address 7 the cavity of this club was not visible. Cobra has done a fantastic job of building forgiveness into this club without making it look "chunky" at address. Like I said before to my eyes I instantly think "lean & mean" at address.

Next up is the range tomorrow, which happens to coincide with my first ever golf lesson. (read a little nervous) I plan to get to the range early & put the club through the paces. The plan is to report back on turf interaction and some "live" numbers from the driving range. I'll have my range finder to pin flags and provide as accurate numbers as I can. As always any questions or clarifications please feel free to reach out.

Very Nice mikeg! Interesting Launch Monitor numbers indeed.

How many seasons have you had your current irons for?

Quick question for you all, is anyone currently gaming the Cobra Amp Cells and if so can you offer any comparison between the Amp Cells and the Bio?

I personally can not, but WardF was gaming the Amp Cells for a little while. He spent some time with my Bio Cell tester on the range today and it sure seemed like he was impressed. I'll give him the chance to give his own feedback, but there sure were lots of happy sounds coming from his hitting bay.

Very Nice mikeg! Interesting Launch Monitor numbers indeed.

How many seasons have you had your current irons for?

I picked up my CB3's late in 2012. They replaced my Callaway Razr X's. Up until putting the BIO Cell through the paces I have been very happy with them and have served me well. Forgiveness on mishits & when I flush them I felt like I was getting good distances. Looking at the BIO Cell numbers it seems I might/was wrong. Again I suspect some of the gains are due to the shaft and lighter club overall, but the way I see it you have to put a good swing on it to get good results. When I put a good swing on it the numbers were eye opening. I really want to get this out to the course, but that wont happen until next weekend. There are a few of carries & approach shots at the course I normally play where I pull my 6iron to get me to a good for my wedges. Really want to see where the BIO puts me in comparison.

I picked up my CB3's late in 2012. They replaced my Callaway Razr X's. Up until putting the BIO Cell through the paces I have been very happy with them and have served me well. Forgiveness on mishits & when I flush them I felt like I was getting good distances. Looking at the BIO Cell numbers it seems I might/was wrong. Again I suspect some of the gains are due to the shaft and lighter club overall, but the way I see it you have to put a good swing on it to get good results. When I put a good swing on it the numbers were eye opening. I really want to get this out to the course, but that wont happen until next weekend. There are a few of carries & approach shots at the course I normally play where I pull my 6iron to get me to a good for my wedges. Really want to see where the BIO puts me in comparison.

I am in the same boat. Burner 2.0's in 2012, and I really like them. Loved the distance from them, loved the dispersion... and now I will get to see if/how a new Bio Cell will outperform them.

Man, lots of great stuff already. Good job guys! These really do have a bit of a burner 2 look to them to me. Very interesting. Seeing the pictures at address really does do them a lot more justice, nice to see that. Thanks for the good work so far and keep it up testers!!

I have a few things to do around the house this morning but looking forward to getting on the range this afternoon.

Good stuff testers! I like the comparisons to older irons such as the Burner 2.0s. I have them as well and am looking to upgrade soon. I think the Bio cells will be in the mix.

I am running to the pgass today. Hopefully I can hit the amp cell irons plus I hope to do another comparison test on a different monitor setup.

I received my Cobra Bio-cell 6-iron last night and spent a little while checking it out this morning. I currently own Ping G-20 irons with regular flex CFS shafts. I have had them about a year and feel like I hit them very well. During the fitting for these, I found that I apparently have a very upright swing, and use the White dot, which is 3 degrees upright. Whether that is correct or not, I am not 100% sure. The person who fit me was never the most friendly and I felt like he rushed me a lot, so take that for what it is. It was also my first fitting. Anyway, I will not be adjusting the Cobra iron right now to see how they compare. If I find that I am seeing results that suggest that it needs to be adjusted, I will do that.

The first thing that hit me when unpacking the iron was the chrome finish on the head. It looks great, and in some of the picture you can actually see my reflection in the iron. Very nice. My initial impressions when I saw them online was that they seemed pretty bulky, but they are actually quite a bit slimmer than my G-20 6-iron. I also feel that they look a lot better in person than I originally thought. If you don't like them just for their looks, don't discount them until you see them in person. I personally really like them.

Comparing the G-20's to the Bio Cell, here is what I got from their respective websites.
6 ironLoftLengthLieswing weight
G-202937.25"64.5 (after +3)D0
Bio Cell26.537.7562D2

Definitely a stronger loft on the Bio cell compared to my G-20 6-iron, so I do expect to gain a little distance. It's actually a lot closer to my 5-iron, which is 26 degrees, so I may end up swinging it against that too.

Now, for some pictures:

1-IMG_3060.JPG

The Bio Cell is quite a bit slimmer than my G-20.

1-IMG_3061.JPG

1-IMG_3064.JPG

Others have mentioned that they like the ferrule. The G-20's don't have one and I don't mind it, but I really do like the ferrule on the Bio-cell.
1-IMG_3068.JPG

1-IMG_3081.JPG

The top line seems pretty similar to me between the two clubs.
1-IMG_3084.JPG

The bottom of the club is also interesting to me. The G-20 is much more rounded than the Bio Cell. Good or bad, I'm not sure.
1-IMG_3091.JPG

1-IMG_3073.JPG

I plan on hitting up the range on Sunday to see how the Bio Cell compares to the G-20's. If you have any questions for me or would like to see more pictures comparing the clubs, please let me know.

Man, these comparison pics are fantastic. Before the comparison pics I thought the Bio Cells looked HUGE. However the comparison pics show otherwise

Back