The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be spending a good deal of time on the range today. My swing has been wildly inconsistent over the last few weeks and it's time to try and work it out instead of just playing.

Well that was unexpected....hit the irons very well apart from the 1i....stung my hands a couple of times so put it to one side seeing as it was quite cool and I wanted to be able to hit the other clubs and be able to feel the shots

But my 3W was not cooperating initially so I kept rotating the clubs to see if I just wasn't warmed up enough and then just for a test I completely changed my setup and promptly hit almost every ball dead straight and high with a couple of pulled shots but absolutely nothing went to the right

I will try to describe the setup.....ball was inside the left foot as normal but instead of placing the club head behind the ball I was setting up as if the ball was in the middle of my stance so there was probably about 5 or 6 inches between the ball and club head. Needless to say I was fully expecting to top the shot but the first one launched high and straight.....so I placed a second ball and did exactly the same

I proceeded to finish the basket launching all but a couple high and straight and can't wait to get back on the range to try it again - I know it is probably a mental thing but if I can hit the balls like that on the course I am looking forward to it and can't wait to hear the comments on the first tee when I set up with such a gap between club and ball but promptly bomb it straight down the middle :D

You guys and your rain, over here in California it is 60 everyday (I live around Oakland) and we are begging for rain! 2013 was driest year on record, and all the growers in the valley are panicking as 2014 is starting off with less precipitation then 2013....

But it has been great for me to get out to the range! Went last night and hit about 50 balls with my GW, really working on clearing the front hip (thanks FK, read this tip in another thread) and started hitting some really good shots. Focus now will be ingraining this feel and lower body move to initiate the swing and tempo, as the only bad swings I had once I got going were trying to rush the transition.

My swing has been a bit erratic as of late. I can either come over the top and hit a big pull or block it out right or hit behind the ball and chunk it at any time. Admittedly, I haven't been spending much time practicing lately, only playing. So I watched some videos last night on youtube looking for ideas of something to take to the range. I found some good stuff, but decided to try this one in particular as I feel that my swing path issues were causing a lot of mishits all over the clubface and a big loss of distance.

I liked the results I saw. I went through 3 buckets of balls. I really stayed committed and hit most of the first bucket using only half and and a few 3/4 swings to try and ingrain the feel. I can't say that I ever really hit the water bottle like in the video, but I know I came pretty close. I caught a lot more shots in the center of the clubface than I have in a while. I'll work it some more tomorrow.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Had an absolutely flawless practice session tonight. Really was striking the ball well with my 7 and 8 iron. Hit about 125 balls into the net focusing on my new posture and setup and it really is starting to feel natural. Just been working on irons so far as that's all I can swing in my basement.

One thing I love about the DPCs is they really let you know when you aren't hitting the center of the face. Only had a few tonight that were off center.

I'm ecstatic about where my iron swing is right now at this point in the winter. I feel like I was really hitting the ball well at the end of the season and after a few months of a layoff and a couple weeks of knocking the rust off, I feel like it's back and feel like I am a million times farther along then I was at this point last year. Very very excited.

Good feeling isn't it Brad!! Well done. Keep it up!

Thanks for the YouTube Video. I always have issues with hitting on the heel and the toe. Will have to try this out .
My swing has been a bit erratic as of late. I can either come over the top and hit a big pull or block it out right or hit behind the ball and chunk it at any time. Admittedly, I haven't been spending much time practicing lately, only playing. So I watched some videos last night on youtube looking for ideas of something to take to the range. I found some good stuff, but decided to try this one in particular as I feel that my swing path issues were causing a lot of mishits all over the clubface and a big loss of distance.

I liked the results I saw. I went through 3 buckets of balls. I really stayed committed and hit most of the first bucket using only half and and a few 3/4 swings to try and ingrain the feel. I can't say that I ever really hit the water bottle like in the video, but I know I came pretty close. I caught a lot more shots in the center of the clubface than I have in a while. I'll work it some more tomorrow.

That's an interesting video and coincidentally I was mesmerized (drawing a blank here) of whomever it is with the signature of the slow motion video of Rory earlier today and was thinking about how close he keeps his right arm to his body. I went to the range today for a little during lunch with the that picture in mind and working on some short swings. My ball striking and consistency has improved from the lesson I got a few months ago and when things calm down for me, I'll be going back for more. I've really focused on shortening my swing and taking something off it. Has definitely helped with minimizing the bad swings.

Good feeling isn't it Brad!! Well done. Keep it up!

Thanks broseph mcoseph. Sent some videos to my pro tonight through v1 and he was impressed with the progress I've made. Shot a quick video back analyzing it. Pretty cool app. I'm just pumped up right now.

Yesterday I hit the range and only had one problem, it was 10 degrees!! Lasted about 35 minutes before my hands had completely froze. At least I was able to get some swings in.

Yesterday I hit the range and only had one problem, it was 10 degrees!! Lasted about 35 minutes before my hands had completely froze. At least I was able to get some swings in.

That is dedication. I thought I was being brave with it being in the upper 40s.

The funny thing was I was not the only crazy one there..

Practiced for an hour last night. Worked a bunch more on the first couple feet of my takeaway and then my backswing. I'm getting in a good spot and not sucking the club too far inside as much, so that's good. Struggling with the transition a bit. Trying to get rid of my favorite head dive towards the target and everything feels wrong. That's not too bad of thing, because what feels right is a terrible flaw lol. Going to work on everything another time or two and see if the video shows any improvement.

Had a good, solid range session earlier today. Spent a lot of time on my short game and feel like I've got the beginnings of a solid technique. Had the worst time around the greens yesterday and felt I needed to put some work in to help, hopefully I'm on the way.

Another grind on the range today, but progress was made applying what I learned in the video I mentioned before. I still need to get my right arm closer to my right thigh; my old swing habit is fighting that change mightily.

This picture is elsewhere, but I've worked so darned hard to get into the position.

Not sure when or where but im getting to a range this weekend if it kills me

Putted today for a good 1.5-2 hrs.

Having success with cross hand, standard, and claw grip.

Pretty soon I'm going to pick one and go with it!

Hand if finally healed up where I can hold a golf club without pain.... It is time!

Spent a little over an hour at the heated outdoor range. Putted for a bit as well.

Have a lesson this Tuesday and I'm both excited and terrified.

Lucky you dude. You'll love it. Guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back