Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep Wedge Review Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty cool looking wedge from Nike here. Lots of interesting tech that should be popular with you folks.

The Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep Wedge is made with high-frequency grooves for precision spin and length in the short game. A wide sole with a narrow heel allows for specialized wedge play in different conditions.

HIGH-FREQUENCY X3X GROOVES
New, improved X3X grooves offer a stronger, more aggressive groove edge and deeper groove channels for ultimate stopping power and distance control.

TOE SWEEP GRIND
An extremely wide sole near the toe and a very narrow sole at the heel allow you to easily get the ball up out of the bunker and rough.

MORE BENEFITS
Two high-trajectory sole grinds for specialized wedge play
All satin chrome finish for a beautiful non-glare look at address
8620 carbon steel for a premium wedge feel
Nike Tour Velvet 360 2 grip for a soft performance feel

PRODUCT DETAILS
Length/Lie/Loft/Swing weight/Hand: 35.25" / 64.0° / 56° / D4-D6
Available Jan 31, 2014
MSRP $109

Quick article if you're interested...
Spoiler
Whether it’s high rough or wet grass, difficult lies or daunting bunkers, Nike Golf craftsmen and engineers at The Oven have created the solution for the toughest of short game shots—the new VR X3X Toe Sweep wedges available at retail Jan. 31, 2014.

Over the course of five years, the Nike Golf team prototyped, analyzed and tested a range of functional sole configurations before landing on an innovative design that makes it significantly easier to hit out of the toughest lies from anywhere around the green. A wider sole area toward the toe and a relieved heel ensure versatility around the greens and make it easier for golfers to hit out of the bunker. Improved X3X groove technology delivers a more consistent shot in any condition, better ball flight and superior stopping power on the green.

“We built the VR X3X Toe Sweep wedges from the ground up,” said Mike Taylor, Nike Golf Master Modelmaker. “Our Tour athletes have told us that the toe side of the sole is most critical in bunker performance. In a bunker shot, these new wedges are carefully crafted to provide bounce relative to the path of the club head. Around the green, our athletes ask for material to be ground away from the heel to aid open-face versatility–and we’ve done that with this new design.”

The toe-sweep sole is an innovative combination that blends the best attributes of several of Nike’s most functional grinds. The VR X3X Toe Sweep wedges perform like a wide sole from the bunker, but slide through the tightest lies around the green with ease.

Included in the VR X3X line are the Tour-validated Dual Wide sole wedges, which have a wide “c-shaped” grind with heel and toe relief, making it extremely easy to launch the ball high with maximum spin.

Nike’s X3X groove technology features grooves that are closer together and deeper on the clubface. Nike Golf engineers added width to the shape of the existing X3X grooves to create a new X3X 27 groove design for the VR X3X line of wedges. The enhanced design improves spin consistency for more precision when approaching the green.

Both VR X3X wedges feature a satin chrome finish, Dynamic Gold Wedge shafts and Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 grips.
The Nike VR X3X wedges will be available on Jan. 31, 2014 for a suggested retail price of $109.

http://nikeinc.com/news/nike-s-vr-x3x-toe-sweep-headlines-new-wedges-for-2014

Some pictures
DSCN4113-L.jpg

DSCN4114-L.jpg

DSCN4115-L.jpg

DSCN4116-L.jpg

DSCN4117-L.jpg

SUPER interested in this one. As someone that likes to use my highest lofted wedge out of the sand as well as for flop shots around the green, this one looks like it could be the best of both worlds.

Hawk, any chance you could grab a picture with the club in the address position?

That is one clean looking wedge! You've gotta hand it to Nike, they make some pretty nice looking irons and wedges!

Hello again Nike wedge, we meet again. Saw a photo of this on twitter and was very curious. I can't wait to hear more about it and how it performs.

That is an absolute beauty!

• Staff
Amol, apologize for the cell pic, but here you go.

6y5u6eba.jpg

WANT! What a beauty of a wedge. These WILL find a spot in my bag this year.

Looks like a great wedge design, you can just see the versatility built into that sole.

That is a pretty wedge. Amol, I'm with you buddy I use my 60* out of the beach and around the green. I'll definitely be following this thread closely.

I played Nike equipment for a couple of years before my move to Callaway last year and I always liked the wedges. These are really intriguing to me, although I don't open the face much anymore, I can see how these would make it very easy to play those shots.

Amol, apologize for the cell pic, but here you go.

6y5u6eba.jpg

Love the shape of the hosel design there, reminds me of a traditional cleveland wedge. Want.

That wedge is sexy and I want it.

That's a good looking club. I'm interested in how that grind performs.

These are on my pondering list for sure. I need to upgrade wedges and will give these a look.

Very clean solid looking wedge

That screams for me to hit it.

I want to hit it.

Damn thats a good looking and intriguing as hell wedge.

It sets up really nice at address. I don't open up my wedges all that much, so it might not be a good fit for me, but it definitely looks interesting.

I usually don't get all that excited over wedges, but these look great. I'll be following along closely to the feedback.

Well, Nike, the past 2 days you've had products debuted on THP and I've been thoroughly impressed. Id like to try this.

Oh my, I like the looks of that. Color me intrigued.

Gorgeous wedge!

This is such a clean design and an interesting shape on the sole.

The grind on that wedge is certainly innovative! Looks great from address.

Not a big Nike fan, but I can't find anything to say bad about this one. Go figure!

Back