Panda Tip: The power of the turn

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Over thre years I've run into a great many swings. One of the most common mistakes is the 'slide' through impact. And the slide is one of the deaths of any golf swing.

For years I think people have read too much into this bump left that pros spoke about as a good way to transition. Well the bump is from the left hip clearing to allow room for the as to swing through the zone.

As the best golfers in the world start their down swing, they drive off the inside of the right foot. As this is happening the left hip is rotating away from the ball ( like someone is tugging on your belt loop). The fact that the left hip can't just move back off the line there is an ever so slight move toward the target. But the hip doesn't cross that line created from the back of the left heal to the sky. Any movement is caused by the hips clearing.

Take a look at Jason Day from yesterday's round at the PGA Championship. He turns through the zone by clearing the hips and operating behind the ball. All of power he stored on the back swing is released with the turn on the down swing. If he slid through he would have to bring arms and hands into the play, maybe chicken wing the left arm and definitely would loose a ton of power

http://youtu.be/x-AX63B2AIsbmmm

So work on that turn through the ball for power and consistency.

I love Panda tips. This is something that has snuck into my game in a bad way as of late and I only just saw it on film last week, the results are just not good with a massive power leak and weak fade.

Good stuff Panda, these are always good stuff buddy.

I love me some Panda tips!

I know you and I have discussed this at length Panda. That massive slide lead to me getting stuck as trying to save the swing. When it was times well it was great. Other times...eeesh.

I'm a believer

I know you and I have discussed this at length Panda. That massive slide lead to me getting stuck as trying to save the swing. When it was times well it was great. Other times...eeesh.

I'm a believer

Ugh, story of my recent golf.

Also notice how wide of a stance Rory has when teeing off creating a solid base that also helps avoid any "swaying"

Also notice how wide of a stance Rory has when teeing off creating a solid base that also helps avoid any "swaying"

Any sway forward on the forward swing. If your head slides to the right on the back swing, you will have no choice but to compensate by sliding left coming through. I know this move well.

This is me. When I turn properly, I play solid golf, when I don't, I spray the ball all over the place. Great tip, Freddie! I'm always working on this.

Great tip, Freddie.

Damn IPad I can't get the video to load.... I know this turning business has been a huge part of the work I've done this year. I used to think about taking my left back pants pocket to end up facing the back of the tee box.

It took a while for me to train my lower body to move independently of the upper body.

Awesome tip, love having things to work on. Cheers Freddie!

Thanks Freddie! I really need to practice this move. I know the only time I took a lesson (from a Pro who I think was in the Stack and Tilt camp), he had me sliding a LOT, and it felt really awkward.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. As Jason pushes off with his right foot and begins his downswing, his left hip is turning back & away, and what maybe looks like a lateral shift to the front is more just his body weight moving over his left leg, because the left hip never actually moves beyond its original position at address. Does this make sense?

I'm quite sad that the video won't load on my iFruit phone.

Video won't load for me either. I really want to watch it because I think this is a big issue for me.

Will someone please embed the vidoe

[video=youtube_share;x-AX63B2AIs]http://youtu.be/x-AX63B2AIs [/video]

Last edited:
Thanks Freddie, working now. My swing definitely doesn't look like that! :D

And this is exactly what cripples my game right now and has all year. Video didn't work for me but will try again. Great timing with this thread

I wish my hips would turn like that. (Or any at all)

This is what I just started working on as I was told this what I need to perfect to take my game to the next level. Thanks Freddie!

I think the slide may be hurting my game too....thanks for the thoughts Freddie.

This is one of the key faults I have (amongst others, LOL), and really leads to having to time too many other moving parts. Will be focusing on this during the off-season.

I could be way off from a technical standpoint, but the way I fix a slide is by what a coach explained to me as "posting up" on my front leg. On the downswing and through impact I am consciously straightening my front leg while it feels like it's moving backwards. Ever since I heard that tip I've rarely had issues with a slide.

Back