Proper Divot Hole Repair

This video is not for bermuda. Bermuda is typically filled with sand and not seed. The sand fills the divot so that others don't roll into it. The sand helps retain moisture before settling or washing away. Bermuda is aggressive enough that it will grow back. A fairly respectable superintendent went over this with me once, and it was always a mound of sand that was slightly above the level of the grass. Obviously this is different for zoysia and bent, as you are typically putting in seed mixture instead of just sand like you are with bermuda.

This video is not for bermuda. Bermuda is typically filled with sand and not seed. The sand fills the divot so that others don't roll into it. The sand helps retain moisture before settling or washing away. Bermuda is aggressive enough that it will grow back. A fairly respectable superintendent went over this with me once, and it was always a mound of sand that was slightly above the level of the grass. Obviously this is different for zoysia and bent, as you are typically putting in seed mixture instead of just sand like you are with bermuda.

Yea, my grandparents course in Florida they specifically tell you to only fix your divots with the sand.

Wow. I've been overfilling my whole life. I was told when I was a junior that it's better to overfill so the sand forms a dome. That way another ball will roll off and away instead of settling in my divot. I guess I'll take note now and try to remember the tips from this video. Good stuff.

I am not a greens keeper nor an Agrostologist. All of the courses in my area do not have the sand/seed bottle.
So unless the divot explodes into tiny pieces, I have always replaced it.
On courses I have played that did have the sand/seed bottle, I too am guilty of overfilling.
No more though !

Good video, this should be playing in the club house at our local club, a lot of people who golf at our course are just starting out.

Back